50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

But it’s ok to spend huge amounts of money on products where there is no artistic compensation, no royalties and no publishing. If it’s official product it has to be given away cheaply.

Pawnmower and tinnox like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ask Giles who sang the "Ahh's" during "A Day In the Life". ;)

Isaac Azimuth, Onder, Gila and 2 others like this.
  3. Colocally

Neil.

tinnox, marmalade166 and Arnold Grove like this.
  4. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I've heard there is some good oldies jams in the Abbey Road sessions so fingers crossed we get some great ones next year for the deluxe set.

jmxw, dewey02, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  5. johnbrode72

johnbrode72 Forum Resident

Did @maccawings ever get together with the schnitz?

jammincrowe, dsdu and tinnox like this.
  6. andrewskyDE, tinnox, mmars982 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

To summarise my thoughts on the remix....

Stand out highlights:
    Glass Onion - Perfect, looooove the strings!!!!
    Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill - Makes me want to listen to it over and over
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun - Everything in the mix shines now
    I'm So Tired - Beautiful punch on bass and drums!
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide - That punch again!

Questionable moments (what i've noticed when flipping back and forth between original stereo mix and remix):
    Back in The USSR - Needs more grit and presence from the guitars but overall sound is lush!
    Dear Prudence - Intro guitar is different, not sure it it needed to be?
    Ob La Di - Missing handclap? Slightly thinner sounding then some of the punchier tracks (not a deal breaker, just an observation)
    Wild Honey Pie - Went too far with the ADT.... an effect that was once subtle yet effective now sounds like a couple of kids just got their hands on an ADT machine and had some fun...
    While My Guitar - Sounds good but there's something lacking and i'm not sure what. Giles said he had trouble with this one and it kinda sounds like it but I totally sympathise with him.
    Yer Blues - Not sold on the delayed vocal all the way through but it's not a deal breaker
    Helter Skelter - I soooo wanted this to be perfect but the levels aren't quite right especially on the guitars. Everything that needs to be loud towards the end just isn't.
    Long Long Long - Vocal feels like it is missing a bit of that eerie delay that was so prominent on the original mix. Maybe its just a different delay but it was a bit warmer and lush in the original. It's still there but seems a tad on the dry side. Minor gripe!
    Revolution 1 - I think the vocals are a bit more suited when they're back slightly in the mix and the brass is up front a bit more. I feel like we're losing something slightly within the balance of the instruments.

Conclusion:
    A lot of these difference wouldn't be noticeable or as obvious if I wasn't switching back and forth between the original and new mix. There's nothing I hate in these mixes (although Wild Honey Pie is borderline). There are a couple of disappointments with parts that I was fond of in the originals but as a whole, new life has been brought into these songs. It'd be great if they were all perfect but perfect to me is not to someone else. The songs I was most impressed with are ones that were never favourites of mine (except for Glass Onion) but now I could listen to them over and over! Overall EQ's are very pleasing and they haven't gone crazy with the compression. Great job Sam and Giles!!

8. At least 7 different White album threads. Crazy. Unnecessary.

MRamble and tinnox like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

But people can't decide which threads to keep and which ones to remove... just like with shaving the track list of the double White Album down to a single LP. ;)

Dean R, MRamble, jmxw and 5 others like this.
  10. Two or maybe three tops :
    1. Discussion about it
    2. Pricing Shipping
    3. What number? (Maybe )

tinnox likes this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

MerseyBeatle and tinnox like this.
  12. Colocally

There is the white threads and the whiter threads.

Jayseph, Shaddam IV, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No, unfortunately he had a family issue the day we were supposed to do it and never rescheduled. At this point he must be listening to the WA box that will never be released. :)

BeatleJWOL, planckera, dsdu and 2 others like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

[​IMG] ;)

MRamble, Carl80, Piiijiii and 3 others like this.
  15. TonyClifton63

TonyClifton63 Forum Resident

I must have missed that. Ok, now thats the lowest number I've seen so far.

tinnox likes this.
  16. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

Good call on "Wild Honey Pie"! You make sense of both our ideas, and clarified what's audible, then and now.
    Overall, it does sound rather awash in whatever that 2018 remix effect is...

The painful thing is, they could have remixed it as done in '68. And personally, I don't see this remix as an improvement. Nor as a complete disaster, either. Just wasted "modern" effort.

Perhaps, like the burying of the flamenco guitar Tron on the start of "Bungalow Bill," or the inordinately loud first line of Lennon's vocal in "Dear Prudence," and other such examples, Mr. Martin will wish to elucidate his decisions at greater length. I'd be interested in anything technical he has to say. Jeff

tinnox likes this.
  17. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

It would've been very hard to maintain the sync, though!

Crack To The Egg and tinnox like this.
  18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I have to say if that first Revolution outtake is any indication of what it was like to work on The White Album, I can understand why George Martin didn't look back on it with fondness and multiple engineers quit lol.

I mean I get it that for us it's cool to get these glimpses into making the songs, but for the people whose jobs it was to sit there for hours on end to listen to takes that just kept going and going and going and KNOWING that it wasn't going to be anything that was tangibly useful/usable, it just had to get painful lol. I can quite easily picture them up in the control room looking at each other rolling their eyes, wishing the take would end so they could move on to something else.

I get that they're not ALL like that and there are of course exceptions, but still. This seemed to be the album where they spent A LOT of time in the studio just kind of slowly messing around and jamming more than just about any other. And I can definitely understand how that would get frustrating to the producer/engineer, especially when you consider the hours The Beatles worked.

19. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

I’m 3544. Not the lowest here but pleasantly surprised nonetheless!

tinnox likes this.
  20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Idk...wasn't that long of a track. Just can't fathom treating a multitrack that way.

Always mysteries in Beatleland.

tinnox and marmalade166 like this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Serial White Album threads.

Mazzy and tinnox like this.
  22. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

You are aware that there are mastering engineers who promote the virtues of dynamic range but who also have said that DR8 is often quite acceptable, especially for rock albums? Is the view of this sort of pro-DR professional less reliable than yours?

There's no arguing with a listener's personal preferences and subjective experiences (e.g., "fatiguing"), but there are some listeners here who are asserting that their subjective experiences are objective fact (e.g., "They ARE dull and fatiguing).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Shaddam IV, Dean R, Frank and 4 others like this.
  23. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Im
    It is a narrative of the Beatles breakup. The struggle to come together, stay vital, interested, and involved in this endeavor. For Paul to hold it together and direct and maximize the efforts of the others, for John to come to grips with his own mental state while dealing with this child he has created and can not stay involved with if he wants to enter a new world but which he can not dispose of on an ice floe, for George to be seen as more than a little fish in a big pond but wondering if he becomes a little fish in a huge pond if he steps outside the Beatles... and then there's Ringo... clearly an outlier in the post 66 studio Beatles until Yer Blues and his very strong imprint on the band sound which becomes relevant again even though concerts and touring have ended.

All seeking to believe in the drunken teenagers' dream but with changes coming real soon that would pull them out of the dream. Though it is ironic as heck that Ringo steps out before those two tracks were recorded! The remix reveals that Ringo is never more missed than he was on the first 30 seconds of the White Album!!!

tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

... and Paul gets no approval of the final product! :nyah:

tinnox, marmalade166 and beatleroadie like this.
  25. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Close enough for rock/pop you say? Or as Giles would say "this is not Steely Dan!"

tinnox likes this.