50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Very nice promo item. I was listening to my copy of the 30th again today.

[​IMG]

2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks, but why did it have to be recreated? There have been many reissues without this difference. Is it because this is the first remix as opposed to a straight reissue?

Vinyl_Blues, Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  3. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I don`t get it either. Especially as I got the impression that the wobble originally was applied to one guitar and now it was done to all tracks. How could they have done it to one guitar only back then? That would only work if that guitar was on a seperate tape and fed into the live mix. In that case I understand the need to re-do it as the wobble is only on the finished mix. But in that case: why did they do it to all tracks? Sorry, I think I must have misunderstood something during the course of this discussion.

Lewisboogie, tinnox and marcfeld69 like this.
  4. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I think I get you here, but we really need clarification, if not diagrams!

Ken Wood and tinnox like this.
  5. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Nice video here (sorry if already posted)...I'm sure some people will love this kinda stuff, some big changes here even to my ears.

6. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Yes - heard it too. Probably Auntie Gin. ;)

jmxw and tinnox like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Ask Mal.

tinnox likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

4 lp WA box shipped! Can't wait!

9. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

And Mal seems to even have been part of the Esher demo dubbing session, pushing buttons.
    Although Polytheme Pam was NOT among those transfered then, despite the fact that John had brought it in on a tape.
    So... he might not have heard it back then.
    For all we know / can speculate reasonable.

tinnox, Bern and NumberEight like this.
  10. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

A thought I need to get rid off for a while now: Since it has been speculated what the blue-ray might contain video-wise - possibly as an easter egg (nothing, as it turned out) and even the official videos for WA50 did not contain any footage we have not seen before (I think) shall we assume that the once rumoured film of the Beatles playing Ob-la-di-Ob-la-da in the studio during the WA-recordings was not deemed worthy for inclusion, was not found or never really existed? IIRC this rumour sprang from a report listing the contents of a Let-it-be-plus-re-release-DVD that never made it to us viewers.

EDIT: reported here as well:
    Let it Be DVD details....maybe

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: A collection of rare footage of The Beatles recording in the studio (none of this is "Let It Be" era material). The footage listed includes And I Love Her, Paperback Writer, Rain, All You Need Is Love, Hey Bulldog, Lady Madonna, Helter Skelter, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Blackbird, Tutti Frutti, Hey Jude (this track alone went for 20 minutes), St Louis Blues.

tinnox likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Just realised two things which have been bugging me about this new vinyl. One, the inner black sleeves in the remixed double-LP are not polylined, like the originals. However the original was only open on one side revealing the full apple, whereas these are cut on both sides.

The black inners in the 4-LP set ARE polylined. Positive luxury.

Finally, these LPs are BANDED ! For shame.

tinnox likes this.
  12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow! Awesome promo item, Mal - simply awesome! So, it appears the 30th Anniversary Edition was “limited” to 500,000 copies...

Re the numbered copies, “They will be distributed around the globe at random” which seems to correspond to the seemingly random distribution of SDE numbers, with no geographic or order date pattern.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Mr. Explorer, tinnox and Mal like this.
  13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

What is that? I only ever saw the basic anniversary cd.
    Wow if that had been the retail I would have bought it.

14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Only at the halfway point in my 5.1 excursion..Ob-LaDi..the highlight of side 1....side 2 is a it tougher...between Piggies and I Will ....is that John singing along with George...(Everywhere there's lots of Piggies..living piggy lives...)

Bern

The Ole' Rocker and tinnox like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Reports of an Ob-la-di-Ob-la-da film first surfaced in 1994 before the Anthology TV series. It wasn't in that either. And the thing about 'Easter eggs' on DVDs or Blu Rays is so 2008, it's not happening theses days. None on 1+, none on 8 Days a Week, none on Pepper 50, none on White 50.

16. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Thanks, I thought I heard it earlier too but could only trace it back to that "info-leak". Oh, and I didn`t expect them to do easter eggs either but was hoping for some unseen film bits of them used in the promos.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    tinnox and nikh33 like this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Press pack.

Here's the one from 1987 which couples the album with Yellow Submarine:

[​IMG]

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

How does one do this, especially if I’m running the sound through HDMI on a BD player with no analog RCA outs?

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Not sure if anyone has addressed this already, but it’s not a re-recording but still a remix since it’s the same multitrack elements with a different version of the same effect applied in post production.

Howlett’s notes will become notorious for their lack of clarity, but what I think he means here is that the hand brushed across the tape spool is the SECOND analogue tape machine they used to create the effect in 1968, and to recreate the effect in 2018. The signal from that guitar track was run through a second machine, just as they would do for flanging or ADT, and then to the mix tape, so that the other tracks would remain unaffected.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

21. manco

manco Forum Resident

The perfect LIB would have kept the snippets(Dig It, Maggie May), studio chatter and eliminated Spector's wall of sound crap. The thing is that perfect version is possible, the digital tracks are all there in the vaults, just needs the go-ahead from Paul & Ringo.

22. manco

manco Forum Resident

I could really do without Spector's female choirs. The Beatles are not some friggen girl group from 1961.

23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You mean like the girl groups who recorded Please Mr. Postman and Baby It’s You in 1961?

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Back in the 70' Wayne Roger's mailing list advertised 8mm On La Di footage. Don't know if it was silent studio footage, John's handheld camera stuff... or a fake promo-type thing. Anyone have any of the old Roger's mailing lists?? Ron

The Ole' Rocker, tinnox and Ken Wood like this.
  25. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

Paul has been pretty coy about it (Let It Be). He knows he comes off pretty bad in the film and has hinted that it's being re-edited. Sounds lame, but it just means more Beatles for us. I really just want Glyn Johns' mix presented as Get Back.

ronbow and tinnox like this.