50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love the package but I think Apple took a tad bit advantage, price wise. I only realized this the other day while making copies of the stuff for a friend. While the Esher disc took up one full CD-R, I was able to fit the Sessions material on a total of two discs..basically a disc and a half each on each CD-R. So I guess it just sounded more impressive to say they gave us 3 discs of session outtakes (and charge more). Why must they do this type thing to us loyal little fans???

tinnox and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Because they take the piss with prices.

tinnox and DK Pete like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yup...it kind of annoyed me but, really, what can you do. Those of us who clamor for this stuff will continue spending the money knowing to one extent or another that we're being ripped off.

drum_cas and tinnox like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Maybe the prices are set high because they realize some people will make copies for friends instead of those friends buying the set themselves . :p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In all seriousness, I can understand that; business is business and in the very end of it all, money has to be made. On the other hand, i can relate-as many of us can-to really wanting a certain set of music but just not being able to afford it. I happen to be lucky in the sense that in addition to Christmas, lots of this stuff gets released around my birthday which is in November...so time-wise, it's pretty convenient for me. That said, there's nothing wrong with sharing the stuff with someone if you know they'll really get into it and they just can't spring for it. Apple won't go hungry, I'm sure:cool:

tinnox likes this.
  6. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

Except that while The Beatles were recording the song Mal Evans was already playing the trumpet with them and then went home and wrote in his diary about the recording of the song and said it is John Lennon playing the bass not Paul McCartney.It is John who is having difficulty keeping up with what he's trying to play not Paul.

tinnox likes this.
  7. Onder

Onder Senior Member

So why would Paul be playing bass in between outtakes of the released version? Doesn't make sense.
    Mal also said that Paul played the drums on Why Don't We Do It In The Road which according to Paul's and Ringo's recollection is wrong.
    It's better to rely on the audio evidence in this case.

Ondra

PhoffiFozz, Gila, Frank and 2 others like this.
  8. Onder

Onder Senior Member

If you listen to the isolated track you can hear that Paul was playing very aggressively on his Jazz bass (just as everybody else is playing very agressively their instruments on the track).
    When you play with that force (guitar or bass) you also tend to use your forearm rather than just your wrist which inevitably affects the fluidity of your playing and leads to stiffness.

Ondra

drum_cas, DK Pete, Gila and 2 others like this.
  9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

While it's likely the primary driver, it's not just to make more money. Presentation is important too and splitting up discs in a way that at least makes some sense is a good idea, especially given the cost of each disc is so low. For example, Past Masters was totally unnecessary because all of those tracks could've fit on the end of each respective album CD. Doing it that way would've saved hardcore fans having to buy two extra albums but maybe having all the non-album singles on a single double set makes more sense for people who just to pick and choose certain CDs and would want one or two with just the hits? In retrospect it didn't matter much because of the "1" album but hopefully you get what I mean.

I shoved all 3 discs of extras into one playlist so I can't actually remember what's on each disc off the top of my head, so maybe the track splitting doesn't make sense anyway and this argument is nonsense. :whistle:

DK Pete and tinnox like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I must admit that while it would be possible i like that each album was kept as an entity. For me, She Loves you does not belong on Please Please Me or With The Beatles. It feels wrong.

11. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't buy this. Maybe Mal has a recollection of John playing the bass at one point, but what I heard on that ISO track is definitely not him. John simply does not have the ability on the bass to orchestrate what's heard on that clip. Any doubt to just how rudimentary his skill on that instrument is need only listen to "Let It Be" or
    "The Long and Winding Road" from the Get Back sessions. Your honor, I rest my case...

Gila and tinnox like this.
  12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Have any photos ever surfaced of Nicky Hopkins playing keyboard for the EMI Revolution session? Most reference books credit “electric piano” for the song but no specific make or model.

Can anyone confirm which keyboard Nicky used that day, and/or share details of their session together?

tinnox and marmalade166 like this.
  13. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

is there any difference in product if i bought the white album from Amazon vs. analog productions?

tinnox likes this.
  14. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It sounds like a Hohner pianet to me.

Ondra

15. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Only the serial number, as far as I know.

NumberEight and tinnox like this.
  16. siebrand

siebrand music lover

when we say 34632... we cann say 34633 too...
    This 50 Years White album,
    simply sounds really good. Excellent purchase I did, not at all regret ... indeed

tinnox likes this.
  17. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yes but John didn't write WANCKERS.

See my recent post.

He wrote WACKERS which is Liverpool slang for friends or mates.

Drifter likes this.
  18. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Whoops , I've just noticed that this was already corrected. But it does no harm to repeat it.

19. tjannace

is the 50th anniversary better or worst that the mono/stereo box sets versions?

tinnox likes this.
  20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Yes.

(Actually "better" and "worse" are relative terms, and everyone's gonna have a different opinion.)

marmalade166 and tinnox like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

All three versions are pretty good.

DmitriKaramazov, bherbert and tinnox like this.
  22. tjannace

true, but i mean is there a general consensus

tinnox likes this.
  23. Kim Olesen

The general consensus is that they all have their strenghts and their weaknesses. But over all they are all good albeit different. All three editions will make you enjoy the music.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That would be "wanker".

DmitriKaramazov, goer and tinnox like this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

tinnox likes this.