50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good point.

tinnox likes this.
  2. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Guess I was wrong.

I was going by take 17, released on the 50th edition, that only has drums, bass, guitars but no trumpet.

When I got home, I checked the liner notes, and it mentions specifically, that Mal's trumpet was recorded on the 9th of September.

It was overdubbed that day or Mal played it live on take 21, which was the master take.

thrivingonariff and tinnox like this.
  3. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Since we're talking all things White :

Has anybody here actually heard the infamous "There ain't no rules for the company freaks" on Rev 9 ? John and George are said to have repeated this six times. So how come I've never heard it?

4. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

no

tinnox likes this.
  5. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

"There ain't no rules for the company freaks" could be a fine replacement lyric for "But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues": well, that's what came to my mind when I read this post!!

(The end or coda of "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" sounds very much like something Eddie Cochran would do).

andrewskyDE and tinnox like this.
  6. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I think it's George playing Paul's left-handed bass (upside down) on Helter Skelter. Anyone with me?

tinnox likes this.
  7. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

So now GM is misremembering something again.He describes Regent Sound Studio in his book as little more than a demonstration studio and a low-ceilinged,boxy little room with a low-ceilinged boxy little sound to it.He describes it accurately so his memory must be pretty good.There are two harpsichords on the song that were supposedly done at different studios and if you listen to everything that is out there you will that at one time it does sound like GM is in the control room and the other time he is clearly on the floor with The Beatles.He says he plays the harpsichord at Regent and Paul plays the bass there and we can't just keep saying GM is wrong about everything.If GM is playing the harpsichord at Regent then it must be Paul on bass.If it's Paul then it could be John on bass.If GM is on harpsichord at AR then Paul must be on bass.If Paul is on harpsichord at AR then it could be John on bass.
    Richard Lush says John was playing a Fender bass at AR but where is the evidence that there was such an instrument at AR in Feb.1967.Also,did Regent have a right handed bass guitar just lying around in their studio??

tinnox likes this.
  8. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The only instance where George Martin's voice can be heard on the Regent outtakes is from the control room.
    Regardless of that, there's no doubt it's not Paul on bass at Regent, the part is very simplistic and yet so miserably played, there are problems with the riff's timing, John even missed the bass riff completely during the second "where it will go", Take 1.
    Obviously George Martin doesn't remember the session well in his book. His description of the track's recording process is very inaccurate and in some cases wrong. For example, he says that one track features Paul's lead vocal and rhythm guitar. There's no rhythm guitar on the lead vocal track. No rhythm guitar in the song at all.

Do you really think that it would be a problem for the Beatles to get a bass if they want to?
    There were in a recording studio, instruments of other groups were lying around.
    I've just looked it up, there were Hollies recording at Abbey Road on February 21, 22 1967!!! Bernie Calvert did use Fender Jazz bass. Could have been his.

Ondra

2141, drum_cas, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  9. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Question for someone in the know:

On what outtake do you hear John giving his opinion to Paul on ‘Mother Nature’s Son’ on what it needs in regards to orchestration? I think George Martin can be heard too? Or am I imagining this? Such a conversation doesn’t take place on the outtake included on this box-set, nor in the ‘Anthology 3’ outtake Of ‘Mother Nature’s Son’ or was this conversation on a different song / outtake altogether? Please help.

Thanks

tinnox likes this.
  10. Onder

Onder Senior Member

No, you're not imagining this!
    John did suggest a brass band to Paul during the recording session for Blackbird. I don't think this piece has been officially released. It's on boots only. Search for Blackbird session, not Mother Nature's Son.

Ondra

2141, superstar19, drum_cas and 2 others like this.
  11. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Thank you.

tinnox and Onder like this.
  12. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I'm interested in this since I've always thought of Rev 9 as a two Beatles song.

I also think that towards the end we can hear a bit of Ringo singing. Does anybody else hear this?

If so, with Paul and Ringo contributing, Rev 9 can be requalified as a group compositon.

beatleroadie, RAJ717 and tinnox like this.
  13. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Well, this doesn't seem to create the same level of debate as 'Who plays bass on Helter Skelter?'

But am I really the only person to have noticed this?

It's very near the end, at around 7 minutes 31. Ringo seems to sing something like "... for you ... you'll know it's me." I guess everybody's too interested in listening to Yoko's ramblings to pay any attention to poor old Ringo.

Ken Wood, tinnox and Gila like this.
  14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I like that I can hear Paul singing Love Me Do on the outake !

Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  15. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I listened to it and found the audio bit. Sounds liked someone saying "for you", then a moment later singing "I`ll know it`s me" (it certainly could be something sightly different as it is very low and other sounds do overlap but once you look for something somebody writes you are more likely to hear the exact words). The singing indeed sounds like Ringo! I think this is not a remnant from the Revolution session but an item added later. Ringo was part of the searching for sound fx etc. tapes during one of the sessions (I think some engineer reported this), maybe he also contributed vocals?

tinnox likes this.
  16. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Thanks for listening. I'm glad you agree it's Ringo.

I now consider that all four Beatles contributed in some way to Rev#9. so i'll file it under a group effort.

For me, if you hear a Beatle on a track then, however small the participation is, it means he's a part of the whole.

tinnox likes this.
  17. Ants

Ants Forum Resident

The bit where Paul (supposedly) plays bass while giving instructions to John (or George), before the take 17, has actually been slightly cut: if you listen to the same bit, but from the Rock Band chat, you'll notice it's slightly longer:
    Here, at 4:44:

This doesn't prove anything, though. Just that these chats before Helter Skelter (Take 17) have been edited in some ways (I don't know why...)

Also, how do you know that the rhythm guitars on the released version are two?
    I can't really distinguish them, even if I listen to the Rock Band stems.
    You seem to be very knowledgeable, this is why I'm asking you these questions.
    Thanks.

andrewskyDE, tinnox, Onder and 2 others like this.
  18. Onder

Onder Senior Member

I've been wondering about this too. To me it sounds like there's just one rhythm guitar.

Ondra

tinnox likes this.
  19. Ern

Ern Senior Member

If you listen to take 17, there's clearly two guitars, but they're separated, one on the left and the other more to the center of the stereo picture.
    On the released version, they're together on the same track, to the left.

tinnox likes this.
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's not Ringo, it's part of a record that someone found and posted here on this very thread a few months ago.
    However, Paul and Ringo are on Revolution 9, as it's an edited version of Revolution 1 that went on for 10 minutes.

Kim Olesen and tinnox like this.
  21. Onder

Onder Senior Member

What I hear on take 17 is one rhythm guitar slightly to the left and the very same guitar leaking onto Paul's vocal mic.
    Paul's guide vocal is treated with slap back echo which affects the guitar leakage too and creates even better illusion of a second guitar being there.
    The leakage was gone on the final take as Paul re-recorded the lead vocal later, that's why it's missing in the final mix.

Ondra

tinnox, Gila and Chris M like this.
  22. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Well, I hear two guitars doing different things.

tinnox likes this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

If you are talking about Farid al Atrash - Awel Hamsa, that was found to be a source and the fact is the making the rounds as well as the whole record being on youtube. But while this indeed goes on during that bit of Revolution 9 it is not the very small and different bit we talk about here.
    If you refer to something else it would be great if you could provide more info!

tinnox likes this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I haven't heard that either ???

tinnox likes this.
  25. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Before I take a closer listen - there seems to be a very small bit of piano at 3:44 that sounds like "Little Pigeon". :)
    PS I took the video out of the quote - be careful, it might not be allowed to be posted here - we had a case of a video being wiped including the messages containing it just a while before!

tinnox and Gila like this.