50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Thank you! I did it by using only bits and pieces from different rehearsals done at Twickenham in early January 1969.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have not read this entire thread nor have I kept up with it since I posted here in last November. If this has be asked and discussed already I apologize in advance for bringing it up again. I have the 4 vinyl box set that includes the Esher sessions and in the fine print on the back of the box is says it was made in Germany which, I assume, means it was pressed in Germany. The other day I got a catalog from Acoustic Sounds which has a full page devoted to a two LP version of the 50th Anniversary White album that is plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings (ACAP 67696 - $39.98). Where all of the 2 LP 50th Anniversary White albums pressed at Quality? If the Quality pressing is not the standard pressing has anyone heard it?

tinnox likes this.
  3. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

All of the 2LP's in the US were pressed at QRP. The 4LP's were imported from, you guessed it, Optimal. I have heard the QRP (to me it sounds the same) - however, many find it to be hit or miss, and many complained about the quality when first released.

tinnox likes this.
  4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

DB, Thank you so much for explaining it to me. BTW, Deacon Blues is my favorite SD song. :righton:

tinnox and Deacon Blues like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Did the same for my “frankenstein fan edits playlist”.

tinnox, lemonade kid and planckera like this.
  6. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Cool! Is this the album cover?

[​IMG]
    ;)

7. Kim Olesen

It is now :)

tinnox and planckera like this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nicely done.

tinnox, marklamb and The Beave like this.
  9. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Thank you!:righton:

tinnox, marklamb and DK Pete like this.
  10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

BRAVO!!!!!
    THATS A TAKE RIGHT THERE BROTHER!
    Beave

11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I would not have problem 1 with a bunch of such tracks, cleaned-up and edited w fly-ins — for me, a little bit of the raw often-sloppy Twickenham performances goes a way long way. This demonstrates a great way to present some semi-definitive best-of Beatles tracks.

J Alesait and tinnox like this.
  12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Two thirds of the album is remixed nicely and a third of the album has dodgy stereo placement, particularly the drums. 20 Beatles songs remixed well is still a great investment for me. I can’t complain.

13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just got the reissue with the Esher demos. How cool. Really love these songs. So interesting. White Album is my favorite Beatles record. But, when i heard about this i just thought i like it as is. But, in another thread heard it was on sale, so, got it today. All the songs really add something to the story. Really love these Esher demos.

DK Pete, tinnox, DeeThomaz and 10 others like this.
  14. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Glad you like it.

tinnox likes this.
  15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Could the instrumental version of "The Inner Light" from the 2014 "Wonderwall Music" reissue be added ?
    The recording itself seems the same as track 23 The Inner Light (Take 6 – Instrumental backing track), but is preceded by speech, is in mono and seems to be slightly slower. Do we know precisely which take this is?

tinnox, MerseyBeatle and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. Deacon Blues

Still waiting for the price to drop for the deluxe. I have the 4LP. And the CD box in guttural form with pdf book. But I want a hard copy

alanbeat, Carl80 and tinnox like this.
  17. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I'm a little bit late in this discussion but i have a few questions about the White Album remix:
    1. What's the verdict in the forum about the Giles Martin remix of the White Album?Is a big improve? Better than Pepper's? (i hated pepper's remix, at least in Spotify)
    2. There's a big audio quality step from the Spotify files to the vinyl edition?
    3. I'm thinking i maybe buy this set, which one 2 vinyl edition or 4 vinyl edition?
    Thanks and sorry to be so out.

tinnox likes this.
  18. Kim Olesen

For me the ratio was 50/50. Meaning that i found half the songs to be improvements. Which is a VERY high ratio for me. Those that aren’t improvements aren’t bad. Only mix i directly disliked was WMGGW.

All IMO ofcourse.

Spencer R, Gila and tinnox like this.
  19. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

I like the Giles Martin remix, but I like it as an addition, not in place of. I had never heard the mono mix until I bought the mono cd box set a couple of years ago. That was really awesome to hear how different it was. So for me, as one of my favorite Beatles's records, I want all three mixes and happy to have them.
    Definitely better that the Pepper remix, at least on CD. The bass and drums are just out of control on the Pepper CD remix. It's a huge shame, as I really like what was done on it, regarding how things were actually mixed. The best of the mono and stereo versions combined, but then destroyed it with the bass and drums. Much better on the White Album remix.

The box set is incredible, and I think it will be my favorite out of the three (Pepper and Abbey Road being the other two), regarding the amount of music.

I actually like the Pepper box set the best, in terms of it's layout and all the extras (2 posters, a DVD and Blu Ray, with the "Making of Pepper" video and the music videos. I also like that the Pepper CDs/ DVD/Blu Ray are housed in an album replica, and not in the book, like the WA and AR are. Also, a bit disappointed that neither the WA nor AR included any video at all.

If money is no object, I would go for the 4 LP edition, as I did. Also, my understanding is the 4 LP was pressed at Optimal and the 2 LP was not.
    I like the box and the insert included with the 4 LP edition as well.

ODIrony, tinnox and coffeetime like this.
  20. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Some tracks are better some are worse. Don't buy it for the remix.

tinnox likes this.
  21. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I thought Pepper REMIX CD was brickwalled almost, unlistenable.
    Pepper remix vinyl was good
    Pepper surround sound was very weak

The White album remix was fine on CD, didn’t buy vinyl
    The White Album surround was outstanding on my system and is now my go to.

tinnox, Beaneydave and Deacon Blues like this.
  22. Deacon Blues

1. Pepper vinyl. Then 5.1
    2. WA 5.1
    3. Abbey road is going to be Atmos or 5.1
    The WA mix, the mid range.guitar was sucked out completely. Clapton solo gone. I'm convinced he mixed for 5.1 and down mixed and tweaked it a tiny bit for stereo

tinnox likes this.
  23. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

You can go to Spotify or YouTube and quickly hear for yourself how the mixes compare.

tinnox likes this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The Esher demos are a "must-have" by any standard if you're a Beatle fan or love the actual album. But I have to wonder if there are others out there like myself who have had these on bootleg for decades and save for the much better overall sound quality, the experience of hearing them on the re-issued set wasn't as exciting as it seems to have been for most.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Nope. The sound quality is breathtaking.