50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Second-ed.
    I remember being floored hearing the Martha My Dear demo and it sounded like it was recorded yesterday in a professional studio.

Guy Smiley, tinnox and Greenalishi like this.
  2. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

What Martha My Dear demo?

tinnox likes this.
  3. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

To me it is night and day. The bootlegs were fun, but the sound quality was sketchy. Listening to them as a whole was wearing, due to sound quality and samie-ness. And on a mix tape or playlist the bad sound made them stand out.

Now I have a playlist with favorite performances that come from the original mix, the remix, the outtakes and the Esher demos. They all sound great, and they play well together and give a wonderful feel for where the Beatles were in 1968. It is a rich and impressive body of work and the Esher demos in great sound are an integral part of it.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yea, one of the fun things is the sound is so good sometimes the demo may be debatable as inclusion instead of the stock one. Some of the demos have real specific quality to 'em. Lots of artists put out demos for this reason. Just fun to hear really. Still enjoying 'em.

tinnox likes this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

He probably means "Martha My Dear (Without Brass And Strings)" from CD6 Sessions on WA50.

6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

One of the pleasures of being a fan who never buys bootlegs is to listen to an official release like the Esher demos with fresh ears. :)

7. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I've never bought a Beatle bootleg in my life, but a lot of this stuff became freely available with internet.

But I still prefer an official release in good quality.

8. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Agree that will always buy official release in good quality .

Guy Smiley and tinnox like this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sorry if this has been brought up already - I can’t wade through the last 1400 pages, but what is up with the Blu Ray included in the Super Deluxe set?

Some people noted there were issues with the mono mix, with weird gaps in the audio, and now that I finally picked up the super deluxe set I can confirm... yeah it’s a bit wonky. Such a disappointment, the mono “direct transfer” was one of the things I was looking forward to most, and the only thing I really felt I was missing out on by not getting the physical SDE vs. the HDtracks SDE download.

But wait. It gets weirder!

Does the Blu Ray stereo remix really have a different mastering than the downloadable SDE’s stereo remix? I extracted the tracks, and... they all have a significantly higher DR than the version of the album offered as a download.

Aren’t the people buying the hi-res download the ones who are interested in having the best SQ?
    How and why does this happen :sigh:

tinnox likes this.
  10. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

Universal Music my friend. Corporations owning publishing rights to music.

Crimson Witch and tinnox like this.
  11. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Whoever said MMT mono, particularly "Baby You're A Rich Man" sounds amazing, is so right. Man the bass on that track is immense.

How does Beatles For Sale sound in mono? It's the only one of the bunch I don't have (assuming UDiscover fulfills my order of Help, AHDN and WA.)

lemonade kid, Choba b CCCP and tinnox like this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yes, I have avoided boots for so long (with the exception of the “legendary” stuff) thinking in the back of my mind that surely this stuff will be released at some point. Even the Esher stuff I only ever listened to what was released on Anthology. Now it is starting to come to pass and it’s 99% new to me, which makes it even more enjoyable. Plus it sounds better then any boots would have .(Although if Let it Be winds up being the last super deluxe, I might have to relent and become a Beatles bandit :D )

13. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

But the actual tracks order of the Esher Tapes is completely changed on the 2018 release, which is so pity.

tinnox likes this.
  14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Small price for the fidelity tho

tinnox likes this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, but how would we ever know what the "true" order really is?

Most likely the tapes feature some John songs, some Paul songs, some George songs... recorded in no particular order. And they are probably spread across multiple tapes so it would be doubtful that even those who were there would remember what order they were actually recorded in....

Play 'em in any order you like and pretend that's the order! :magoo:

16. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I always preferred BFS in stereo. YMMV. I’d pick it up anyway if that’s the only one you’re missing.

tinnox likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

That one is definitely a must in mono. Oddly enough I actually love Beatles '65 even better--a bastardization of "For Sale". For once Capitol got it right when messing with the tracks. My favorite early Beatles Capitol release; and the mono vinyl rocks.

1.​
    "No Reply"Lennon with McCartney
    2:15
    2.​
    "I'm a Loser"Lennon
    2:31
    3.​
    "Baby's in Black"Lennon and McCartney
    2:02
    4.​
    "Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry)Lennon
    2:32
    5.​
    "I'll Follow the Sun"McCartney
    1:46
    6.​
    "Mr. Moonlight" (Roy Lee Johnson)Lennon
    2:35​

Side two​
    No.​
    TitleLead vocals​
    Length
    1.​
    "Honey Don't" (Carl Perkins)Starr
    2:56
    2.​
    "I'll Be Back"Lennon
    2:22
    3.​
    "She's a Woman"McCartney
    2:57
    4.​
    "I Feel Fine"Lennon
    2:20
    5.​
    "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" (Carl Perkins)Harrison

tinnox likes this.
  18. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

The only brought capitol issued Beatles I enjoy and own now is rubber soul. And it's from the US albums box, same running order better sound.

If you like the US mixes the volumes 1 and 2 were good, but nothing will ever beat the original UK mixes.

Just like the remixes, the revolver US mix brought some more low end into the record which is interesting.

Anyway, so little talk about the SQ of these songs. And take 4? Come on Apple.

Edit sorry thought this was the AR THREAD

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

Gave this a listen yesterday
    [​IMG]
    The Beatles - S/T aka The White Album
    50th anniversary set
    4 LP box set

20. Never get tired of looking at your rig!

tinnox likes this.
  21. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Does anyone know what the high pitched sound is on the tail end of the 'Cry Baby Cry' Esher demo?

is it some kind of interference from the tape recorder used for the home sessions?

tinnox likes this.
  22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Maybe it is a tea kettle ( you know, the British love their tea ). :hide: :winkgrin:

tinnox, JediJoker and GlassPepper like this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

George probably had an electric kettle, and they don’t whistle. :whistle:

GlassPepper and tinnox like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's an organ. On the bootlegs there is an 8 second bit of someone playing after Cry Baby Cry.

25. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Ah, why did they not leave that in for the official release? :realmad:

tinnox likes this.