50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Me too. My 70’s copy was toast & it’s nice to have a fresh one.

tinnox likes this.
  2. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Thank you.

hi_watt and tinnox like this.
  3. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Thanks - it’s taken years, and I’m very happy with it.

hi_watt, Tim 2, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  4. You’re welcome. I’m a big fan of big speakers especially with horns. Do those CV’s have horns? Love to see them without grills.

These are my babies, (picture of the same from online forum, my set are pristine, like new with the required EQ. IMHO the finest speakers I’ve ever heard and others have said the same.

Google: ElectoVoice Interface D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hi_watt, djost, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  5. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice as well !

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Those are gorgeous - can't even imagine how they sound. Here's one of mine, naked. Not quite as impressive as your EV's lol.

[​IMG]

hi_watt, djost, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I've had my vinyl copy of The White Album since the 70's, as well as the 1987, 1998 (30th Anniversary), 2009 (including the mono edition), and the 2018 CD's of
    the release. I enjoy the 2018 WA box set, and the Esher Demos are a treat. I would have liked to have had an Easter Egg or two on the Blu-ray, similar to Something on the Abbey Road box set. That could've been say the 1968 Apple Promo Film (with Blackbird, Helter Skelter, etc.) or The Beatles Experiment In Television segment (recording Hey Jude), which would have been nice. But, that's a minor quibble.
    Marshall

My 2018 review of The White Album box set:
    The Beatles "White Album" 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition Box Set Review

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

You all are making me nostalgic for the days when I had my own set-up. Having divested myself of most of my vinyl years ago, I'm just not at a point in my life where I care to start up again. Bravo to you, though!

9. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Look everyone, an actual audiophile setup. And it doesn't cost $100 000 either......Now.....When I can I come over?

hi_watt, cporcp, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  10. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Ahhhh! Our studio has EV professional passive far field monitors. They look just like yours but bigger. I loved their sound. Everything sounds right and they never lie unlike some other monitors I could name. Damn! Don't work at my Uncle's studio anymore because of my eyesight and arthritis. The Province of Ontario took away my driving license because my vision was so bad. Damn! Ours go down to 15 hz. Anyway at home now I am stuck with some cheap old $800 Energy speakers. I confess.....I don't even have them spiked. Forgive me!. Miss the sound of our studios big *ss EV monitors.

Maybe I will win the lottery one day.

BeatlesObsessive and tinnox like this.
  11. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Sorry to hear of the misfortune with your vision. Getting older is not for p****es, as my father-in-law used to say.
    Klipsch & Tubes is where I'll probably stay - I love it and it's all paid for.

12. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

That's two invites :thumbsup: Jersey & Ontario. This is definitely the right crowd.

tinnox likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Hi William!!! I'm with you...of the three, it's my favorite (and by far).

WilliamWes, tinnox and Macca75 like this.
  14. Backdrifter62

Backdrifter62 Forum Resident

FYI The Beatles White Album Superdeluxe edition has got an interesting price discount in Amazon Fr and is being sold for 80€.

tinnox likes this.
  15. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

tinnox likes this.
  16. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Finally got round to listening to WA50 - not sure what I was waiting for - but I must say, I like it!

Now, those of you who have been hearing it for the last year or so already know all about it.

Overall - I think Giles did a nice job. He "respected" the original work while bringing certain elements more forward, certain backing tracks are more prominent for example, additional vocal tracks have been brought forward, etc. Generally, it's got more bottom. The original isn't particularly bassy, but we've got some heavier bass on this record now. For the most part, that's a good thing. I find the whole thing very cohesive. While the original sounds a bit disparate at times, this mix is fuller, and richer, without hitting you over the head about it.

As someone who considers the WA his favorite Beatles record, I'm quite satisfied with version. Very listenable. A few things jump a little more than others, as far as noticeable differences, but clearly this is not some radical revisionist reworking of the album. A nice compliment to the original. Not better, not worse, simply an alternate ...

my 2 cents.

17. tinnox

What version will be your go to when you want to hear WA50

18. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Good question. I think they sit well next to each other. For me, the original is still the gold standard for the White Album. While some of the production techniques are certainly of the time (late 60's), it still maintains a kind of timelessness.

As I've listened to the 2018 a few more times, I am hearing more differences than I did on the first couple of passes. Initially I was just taking in the whole "experience" without focusing too much on the minute details.

As far as my "go to" version -- slight lean towards the original, but 2018 is quite listenable as well. I like 'em both.

gja586, Jam757, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nice, well rounded post.

tinnox and Billy_Sunday like this.
  20. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I have a question concerning the out-take for Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

According to Howlett in the book it's take 3 which would mean it's just Paul and Ringo from July 3rd.

However we can hear the la-la backing vocals from George and John which were overdubbed the next day.

This question has been raised in this thread but I don't think anyone came up with an answer.

The backing vocals were overdubbed on to take 4 on July 4th, so what are they doing here if this really is take 3? Any ideas? Have I misunderstood something?

Lewisboogie, Gila and tinnox like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I found this to be interesting. Seems it's the boys listening to the playback of a demo of "Lady Madonna." It would have been cool to have gotten this instrumental on the WA deluxe.

22. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

It sounds to me like it’s Paul playing the song to the others on a keyboard.

23. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Wonderful stuff. Never heard that before.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It almost sounds like a calliope, which is cool.

Shvartze Shabbos and tinnox like this.
  25. tinnox

Very cool and very interesting.