50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, I certainly paid more than that for it and feel it was worth it for the price I paid. They did a great mastering job the original album (although I'll still enjoy my original stereo UK top-loader), and the Esher Demos are really interesting to listen to.

tinnox likes this.
  2. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

A few days ago I was in the Walmart store in which I bought this 4-LP set f0r the clearance price, and noticed that they have since restocked this title (this store had sold out). At least four units were displayed on an endcap showing the sale price of $49.88. If you have not picked this up yet at this price, you might want to make another trip to your local store to see if they are available once again.

tinnox, lemonade kid, AnalogJ and 3 others like this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ooops. I guess I should have posted this one here...

tinnox likes this.
  4. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

They're $45 at my store. Nice grab.

tinnox and lemonade kid like this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Good tip! I stopped by my local WalMart today, which had previously sold all their copies of this set, and they had two more copies at the $49 price. I couldn’t resist and bought yet another copy!

6. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Bought one today myself.:wave:

tinnox, DK Pete and JFSebastion like this.
  7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

So, What does one do with two copies? Are you going to scalp it or what?

tinnox likes this.
  8. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

No, I just have a feeling this set is going to go out of print the same way the 2-LP “Sgt. Pepper” release did, and which now sells for $160-$230. And I love having the Esher demos on vinyl, so for me it makes sense to have at least two copies of this 4-LP White Album set, especially if I can get them at $49.

13605, tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Just asking, and curious re concensus here. Is there anything wrong with picking up on a good deal for an extra copy for future trade or sale, or even gifting.

The term “scalping” has a negative connotation and Oxford defines it as 2. [INFORMAL • NORTH AMERICAN] resell (shares or tickets) at a large or quick profit.

I’ve always seen it as a basic component of collecting - whether coins, stamps, albums or whatever - that you recognize value and pick up extra copies of a favorite thing when you see a good opportunity.

The “collector” approach sees the intrinsic value whereas to the “scalper” it is just a commodity to be quickly turned over. There is a difference, is there not?

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Scalping is also associated with items of limited quantity and high demand. The scalper would buy up all available copies leaving others to have to resort to buying from them. This is a nearly three 3 year old release still being found in walmart. The demand for it is also presumably low as most people who want a copy have one already and the rest should be able to find it at retail.

11. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I made my trip to the local Wal-Mart today and yes indeed they had four of the "The Beatles" 4 record set on sale for $49.97 each. As I was paying for it there were two Wal-Mart attendants behind the entertainment check out desk both in their early twenties, male and female. The young man seemed very excited to be ringing up a Beatles album and pointing to the black and white portrait photos on the cover of the box set he asked the young female if she knew who they were. Her reply was "I have no idea." The young man and I looked at each other and just shrugged.

marklamb, Billy_Sunday, goer and 5 others like this.
  12. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

$99.95?!? Just imagine how much the numbered edition must cost. ;)

14. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Whoosh.

tinnox likes this.
  15. 13605

13605 Guest

It's obviously fake. ;P

tinnox and lemonade kid like this.
  16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ha! The local Walmart has a ton...from Hanes...3 for $15!

re: I am going to by up a bunch to give all my friends who are Beatles fans for Christmas...
    will they be surprised!

:edthumbs:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    AnalogJ, alx7, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  17. 13605

13605 Guest

That's what I call a deal. But it would be great if there multicoloured variations as well. Oh wait...CHECK THE WEBSITE. There ARE!

(note: If I had even more too much time on my hands than I have, I'd make this into a jpeg.
    Possibly 44 of them)

AnalogJ, alx7, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

There's an orange one on eBay for $100,000, but I think someone just painted a white one. #DeepDive

PabloFanques, alx7, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  19. 13605

13605 Guest

This is the kind of fakery that I suspected in the white ones. They look like they were originally salmon pink with a bit of bleaching

alx7, tinnox and lemonade kid like this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Only legit if it yellows over time

AnalogJ, alx7, SunSon and 4 others like this.
  21. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

If you bleach it, it brings out the butcher cover underneath

alx7, Mlle. Aurora, petem1966 and 3 others like this.
  22. lemonade kid

And I use scotch tape when the seams split...

AnalogJ, alx7, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  23. 13605

13605 Guest

TOP TIP!

24. 13605

13605 Guest

I just remembered I had a friend who hated the white album cover and used to put it in a plastic sleeve where he's put the poster as the cover.
    It was a compelling alternative. And he probably stopped the actual cover fading.

25. lemonade kid

My original is surprisingly not faded to yellow and not too worn, despite the abuse it received. Though a bit ragged around he edges where the slick got a bit worn.

I've seen some insanely abused White Albums.
    From The White Album Project in NYC--one man's obsession:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Beatles’ White Album an obsession for artist Rutherford Chang

alx7, Bevok, tinnox and 1 other person like this.