50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Then you'd be very disappoimted. Mark Lewisohn described it as a very long version of the take featured on 'Anthology 3'. Unfortunately.

supermd, Morton LaBongo and tinnox like this.
  2. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I'd really love to get full band takes/rehearsals of the album :eek:
    Imagine songs like I'm So Tired, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, While My Guitar, Glass Onion or Helter Skelter in one take with the full band, that would be marvelous

tinnox likes this.
  3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Oh bother. I assumed as such anyhow. :shake:

On the other hand though, some of Lewisohn's written descriptions don't exactly match up with how a lot of people later heard the songs when they were finally released. Tomorrow Never Knows from Anth 2 is one that I've seen a lot of posters here say did not meet their expectations based on reading Lewisohn, and I'm in that boat myself (though I do like the take one song, definitely it's great, it just doesn't sound like what Lewisohn said it was). Maybe if the tempo was just a little faster that might make Helter Skelter long version worth it, or if it was in stereo... just speculating though.

tinnox likes this.
  4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I remember reading somewhere that George Martin found the 27 minute version too boring for release

tinnox likes this.
  5. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The 27 minute version of Helter Skelter probably is boring but I’d like to hear it.

I realize that it wasn’t feasible to include it on Anthology due to CD time constraints, but in the post-CD world that is no longer a consideration.

6. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

I would love lots and lots of George tracks! Although it would mean more work for me to update my website. :faint:

tinnox likes this.
  7. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I don't know if any of you have seen this already, but there's a website completely dedicated to the White Album. It has album reviews, in-depth looks at each song, photos, and even a section on the differences between the mono and stereo mixes.

Link:
    The White Album Project

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Eh John said stuff and changed his mind the next week like all of us.

And he came up with the distinctive intro - one of my favourite Beatles stories is John coming in high and just pounds out the intro which the other three had been trying to work up for hours.

tinnox likes this.
  9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The 1968 list price was about $87 in today's money:eek:

tinnox likes this.
  10. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I am not part of some massive agenda to veer every thread in the Steve Hoffman Music Forum into a Beatles thread (and that has happened many times before). However, this is one of the most interesting albums The Beatles ever made. It’s over-ambitious, disjointed, but also brilliant in its execution and sequence that unfolds into one of the most dramatic pop albums of such stature in the twentieth century.

I understand a lot has been said about this album; but a lot more could be said, not just about the fiftieth anniversary reissue plans, but the content in general, and how it differs from The Beatles’ other contemporary works.

This was one of their most self-aware products. The white sleeves is a direct response to the ambitious and over-the-top covers of previous Beatles’ albums. Glass Onion namechecks period Beatles’ songs and introspects the audience listening to their songs and the responses they might generate from them. To think of something like Revolution 9 to be on one of the most successful pop groups’ eponymous double album during arguably the most successful phase of their career would be a baffling prospect, but that’s reality. And yet, they simply refer to this body of work as themselves; “The Beatles”. It defines who they were in an essence. Always pushing the fold.

Not always perfect, but fearless, and with lots of depth and substance; something a lot of mainstream pop artists lack today (not all of them). They are too afraid to dip their toes in murky waters because of their success. They are too afraid to say something. Not The Beatles. This album should set an example for everyone about how art should be conveyed.

11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

If you bought of back then and kept it mint it might be with more

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

All I know is, if they plan on releasing the 27 minute "Helter Skelter" they better put out the whole thing or don't even bother. Ditto for "Carnival Of Light".
    Well, George Martin would say that, wouldn't he? He found the whole White Album project way too self indulgent as it was and pushed heavily for a "super single album", after all. Hell, he even bailed halfway through the sessions and went on holiday leaving the inmates (and Chris Thomas) running the asylum.

BeatleJWOL, Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  13. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Looking forward to the remix. This may well be Giles’ best work to date. I think we’ll get an adventurous surround mix as well. He has said in past interviews that he would love to remix the White Album and do an expansive surround mix. It’s not being mastered by Miles Showell so it shouldn’t be a victim of the loudness wars.

ODIrony, tinnox and jumpinjulian like this.
  14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

And while we are discussing this all masters are already finished for a long time. It is not unlikely that right now while we discuss the people involved are digging through weeks of Let it Be or Abbey Road sessions to see what they can use for the next reissue.

15. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Where can I find your website?

16. The Ole' Rocker

I hate to be that guy, but I doubt Apple, having not released Carnival Of Light, would all of a sudden release a twenty-seven-minute Helter Skelter. I would much rather like to hear some outtakes from that tulmultous session that saw Harrison doing the “Arthur Brown”. By the way, what went on with Mal Evans on that trumpet! I would love to some chatter over what went on behind that decision; because it’s an interesting arrangement choice.

Gila, ohnothimagen and tinnox like this.
  17. The Ole' Rocker

Also, Apple, I know it’s too late, but along with the demos recorded at Harrison’s house; I would love to hear some radical alternate mixes, like the extended bridge on Sexy Sadie via the “Petter Sellers tapes”. Give me something that makes me look at “The White Album” from a different perspective. And I would pass out if they created a new documentary to go along with this fiftieth annniversary reissue!

18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

For the more general fan (not the vivid bootleg collector) the Esher demo's alone will be a big addition. I doubt that we will see a lot that has never popped up on some bootleg. People went through these tapes several times and already took out the best parts.

19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It’s been mastered by Tim Young, whose recent Beatles project was mastering the remixed 1 CD, which was on the louder side as well (but not as loud as Pepper). I wonder how much of the loudness is inherent to the new remixes vs the actual mastering process.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I'd say fortunately. That's my favourite Beatles Anthology outtake besides Not Guilty.

andrewskyDE and tinnox like this.
  21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The mastering was just the cherry on top. I'm fairly sure Giles compressed all the Pepper stems.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

50/50 i’d say. The vinyl 50th Pepper is easier on the ears and that is supposed to be a flat transfer of the mix.

paulmccartneyistheman and tinnox like this.
  23. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Tim Young mastered Love. 1 was mastered by Miles Showell.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

WA 50 box a compressed offering? We shall see.

:confused:

tinnox likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Don't get me wrong, realistically I don't expect Apple to include any of the 27 minute "Helter Skelter" in this package, but if they do they better put in the whole enchilada or there's gonna be a lot of pissed off Beatles anoraks with the pitchforks and torches at the ready...