50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Brother Nerk

Brother Nerk Forum Resident

Exactly right. Equally they would be clueless about EP and it would wash over them. But taking jobs is clear. Anyone who knows what he Beatle stand for would see the farce. But this is where the Beatle bonfires happened and it's about the same way now..

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I am being open-minded. If there's something to be learned here, I'd like to learn it. But your response did not actually respond to the question that I asked, which was:
    So there's nothing condescending about what I said; it was simply a statement of fact. I requested that you tell me what _you_ _heard_ in _BITU_, not what someone else heard in a different song.

As for your statement "I didn’t think I needed to spell it out step by step", you didn't. I knew exactly what you were saying. The point is, what you said sidestepped the question that I asked, and the fact that you responded in the way that you did is telling, imo: Why would someone who had a valid answer to the question that I asked respond in the way that you did? If I had made a claim about the sound quality of a particular song and was subsequently asked to say exactly what I was hearing to justify the claim, I would describe exactly what I was hearing, not point to something that somebody else said about a different song 10 years ago.

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

White and padded with a strait-forward jacket, numbered (Patient #9... #9...).

tinnox likes this.
  4. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Hey man I'm just curious, what's your opinion on Paul as a drummer? And I don't mean that in like a "how great of a drummer is he" question, I just mean do you feel that his proficiency at drumming is impressive considering how rounded of a musician he is?

I mean to me, as someone who can play a plastic guitar/drum kit in Rock Band really well but can't do crap on a real instrument, I just find it so impressive that a guy can do all of the things he can do at that level of being a musician. I get it, he's not Keith Moon, he's not John Bonham, he's not Ringo, etc, but I just remember my mind being blown whenever I found out oh that's Paul playing Bass, and oh yeah he plays lead guitar on these songs, drums on these songs, etc.

5. I've been wondering about that too. It seems to me that 'Tomorrow Never Knows' could have the same challenge. I guess I've been thinking that all of those tape loops, sound effects, etc. were played in real time and the mix was made simultaneously, so it would be nearly impossible to locate all of the original elements again and synch them all up. However, now that I think about it a little more, that might not be accurate. If those tape loops, sound effects, etc. were first captured to multi-track tape (4-track or 8-track, for example), then a new remix would certainly be possible.

Edit: And this might be a good time for me to point out my signature here that currently reads:

"I don't know what influence Revolution 9 had on the teenybopper fans, but most of them didn't dig it. So what am I supposed to do?" - John Lennon, 1969

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Will the high resolution on the blue ray be the same as on the “Stereo-Apple-Little green apple” ?

tinnox likes this.
  7. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Well I'm a drummer and I think it's possibly Ringo. Paul did the majority of the track and Ringo was the final overdub. If you listen to this clip you can hear Paul's original drum track through the final verse:

There is also a special fill that the drummer does that is very idiosyncratic to Ringo's way of playing. It's hard to explain technically but either Paul is doing an amazing Ringo impression or it's Ringo.

This video explains it quite well (although I think they are being a bit harsh on McCartney's timing and a bit OTT like Ringo's the returning messiah) but it gives a good overview: dear prudence: ALPHA PAUL OMEGA RINGO

Now, the mystery is when this was recorded, as we know the recording dates and use of Trident.

8. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Probably all white. :)

Mark R Jones and tinnox like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

tinnox likes this.
  10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Well I was listening to it via the Purple Chick deluxe... :whistle:

11. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

With me it's the other way around, and I just play bass as a hobby. It's way easier to learn and play the real bass line to me at this point than to play the GuitarHero/RockBand 5 colored buttons, because the hands remember the note positions on the neck, and with 5 colored button/spaces they sometimes do not match the actual "distance" between notes.

12. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

[​IMG]
    ;)

13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Really digging Prudence remix. Interestingly enough, lead guitar is as buried as in the original, meaning that the initial chromatic passage of the solo is not heard as it can be on Rock Band multis. Piano at the end, however, much more pronounced. But judging remix overall, let alone it's too bright - lol, come on. It's obvously very lowfi and the bitrate is extremely low. I say - upgrade is already noticeable, despite the lousy bitrate of the Internet radio.

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

This made me spit out my coffee!

15. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Not having a go at you, merely expressing my dislike for the Yellow Submarine "album" (it's not an album!!).
    In 1968, to tie in with the film, it should have been released as a 4 track EP. In 1987 they should have either 1) made Past Masters a 2 CD set with WCWIO/DT/PW/R on Vol 1 and with the 4 Yellow Sub tracks at the start of Vol 2, or 2) made it a 3CD set with the Yellow Sub tracks on MMT (thus becoming effectively Past Masters 2).

But to get those 4 unique tracks we have now been forced to buy the Yellow Submarine "album" in 1969, 1987 AND 2009.
    So if we are now going into a new set of reissues I want it retired thus saving money by having one less (pointless) release to have to buy, when the 4 tracks could so easily be absorbed into MMT or Past Masters2 (which by the way wouldn't then have the 65/66 tracks).

So, I'm just putting it out there what I would like to see (and preferably save some money) alongside the calls (half-hearted as they may be :)) for yet another re-release of the same rip-off ;)

Mosthaf, tinnox, Gila and 1 other person like this.
  16. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

How much of the Anthology is upscaleable? What format was the interview footage shot on. I would imagine a lot of work will be involved in getting high resolution versions of the film footage unless it was done at the time they edited the original. A lot of the video tape is locked in on the original resolution and nothing will be gained on blu-ray. Shea will look Ok though! I'm not sure they would think the work would justify sales in today's market. Hope I'm wrong though.

Mr. Explorer, tinnox and jammincrowe like this.
  17. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Just use the deluxe 92-button controller: one button for each fret/string combo. ;)

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Never has so much coffee been lost in one thread.

19. beatleroadie

Everything shot on film in the 90s would look much better on Blu-ray than it does on DVD for sure. In terms of the historical film and video clips, not sure. Sound upgrade potential is there as well.

20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Not an album?!?! But I love Sea Of Holes!
    [​IMG]

IronWaffle, AFOS, PhoffiFozz and 4 others like this.
  21. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

[​IMG]

22. beatleroadie

Yellow Submarine isn't an official Beatles studio album so much as it is the official soundtrack of the film.

As such, using the almost-made EP back in 1968/69 as precedent, I think they could easily fold the four unique YS songs into a reconfigured and remixed Past Masters set, and choose not to remix-reissue a standalone YS soundtrack in this current run of remixes. *(keeping the original YS mix CD and YS Songrack CD's in print)

Those four songs don't belong on MMT though. Past Masters remixed or some new compilation covering all the old Past Masters 1-2 tracks would be a fine place for these 4 remixed songs. *Please just give us the full length version of "It's All Too Much" in the remix edition!

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

24. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Well, they complete the picture of 1967 tracks (and Hey Bulldog)

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

They could restore/remaster the Anthology documentary series in 1080p at least.
    Most of the members' interviews were captured in film quality (16mm or more?), some restoration was even done for that weird Ron Howard doc.
    Therefore I think the episodes wouldn't fit into one but three Blu-rays.

Mr. Explorer, tinnox and PDK like this.