60/70s Music You've Just Discovered, But Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the last year or so... Especially if you regularly have listened to this era of music. I'm in my 30s, by the way.

I've been listening to 60/70s for over twenty years, but I found a few, partly in thanks to all the good people here. I urge making a YouTube account -- lots of fine recommendations on the right, or from playlists, too.

Curved Air
    Illusion
    Nino Ferrer
    Catherine Howe
    Carol of Harvest

And if you have the time, please include your Top 5-10 bands/artists
    1. Pink Floyd
    2. The Doors
    3. Supertramp
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. The Who
    6. Steely Dan
    7. David Bowie
    8. ELO
    9. Black Sabbath
    10. America

abzach likes this.
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Humble Pie

g.z. and Mad shadows like this.
  3. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

It's a bottomless well. Sometimes I think every young person on the planet from the mid-60's to early 70's had a band.
    I discovered this one not too long ago:

4. Can Utility

Can Utility Forum Resident

Gentle Giant
    Renaissance

Fischman likes this.
  5. MortSahlFan

Thanks for reminder - I keep telling myself to check out more of their stuff. I know "Thirty Days in the Hole", but seemed to have left it at that. The Small Faces, too. Always loved "Autumn Stone"
    I've heard a bit on YouTube.. I know they have female and male vocalists, but by any chance, do you know songs that feature the female singer?

6. Filip1701

Filip1701 Forum Resident

I knew and liked CCR (mostly hits) for a long time but I just recently listened to Cosmo's factory for the first time and damn what a great album (especially the first song).

forthlin, Jonny W and g.z. like this.
  7. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Astrud Gilberto. Discovered here on SHF this summer.

Man at C&A, Armjim and notesofachord like this.
  8. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

You must be thinking of a different band. Gentle Giant didn't have a female vocalist.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  9. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Spirit. Especially the first four albums. Excellent.

11. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

I had a Jethro Tull summer. Totally ignored this band until a few months ago — great stuff!

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

If you liked ' Ramble Table ', you may like ' Effigy ' and the rest of the 'Willy and the Poor Boys ' album.

forthlin, Jonny W, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  13. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

- vashti bunyan
    - tim buckley
    - sibylle baier

14. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

15. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Pretty Things
    The Move
    Moby Grape
    Big Star

Guy Smiley and MortSahlFan like this.
  16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Ruthann Friedman
    Blues Project

1. Spanky and Our Gang
    2. The Association
    3. The Beatles
    4. The Monkees
    5. Bread

CliffL, Guy Smiley and MortSahlFan like this.
  17. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

After spending over a decade (I'm 31) of obsessive, deliberate musical discovery my new-to-me's have definitely waned recently. Though I can say after years of mostly listening to mostly studio Dead and their contemporary live albums, I've been branching out expensively into their Dicks Picks, Dave's Picks, and the rest.

But following this thread for some inspiration!

MortSahlFan likes this.
  18. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

Long John Baldry
    John Prine
    Rod Stewart/Faces (previously only really knew Every Picture Tells a Story)
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (only knew a few songs previously)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  19. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I'm 58
    So, I was around though very young in the late '60s. Was listening to FM rock by '70/'71. Bought my 1st LP (Led Zepp IV) by early '73 at 10. Almost all the "Classic Rock" releases through the early '70s to 1980 when I graduated, I remember. So, I have quite the collection that I'm very familiar with thus leading me in the last 5 years or more to "exploring" what went under my radar as a kid/teen. The result has been rewarding so as to cause me to dig deeper into the archives of what was around when I was growing up back then that I had no clue about....it really is "bottomless" as one member earlier noted. Here are the very "I'm happy I discovered this now" top ones for me at this point of time...

Moby Grape- never knew one song by these guys as a ,"Oh, I've heard this before..." once I started listening to them. Love 'em. Have the Sundazed CD remasters(OOP)
    Spirit -Natures Way, Mr Skin & Got A Line On You were very familiar to me being well know from the radio. Everything else more or less, new music for me. Have the AF & MFSL silver of three of the first 4.Love these guys.
    Fleetwood Mac - from the late '60s Peter Green era through the Bob Welsh era('74) has been a treat. Knew the Mac from '75 onward but, not the "old Mac" prior apart from the songs-Bare Trees, Oh Well Pt 1, Hypnotized really. Green Manalishi by Judas Priest, Black Magic Woman by Santana & Bob Welch's " '77 solo album remakes" of Sentimental Lady & Ebony Eyes were what I knew well before hearing the "Original" Fleetwood Mac versions. Been really enjoying the 9 studio releases prior to the mega hit '75 Fleetwood Mac album & even bigger hit album Rumors from '77.Have the 2020 boxset Peter Green 3 CD set also, have the "original CDs.

My list goes on and on but, for brevity sake I'll keep it to these three at least for this post:D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  20. MortSahlFan

My two favorite CCR songs!
    That was me last week. For 20 years or so, I've had a handful of songs, but the third album is next (thanks to your praise/reminder)
    I highly recommend his solo albums. I think he has more "very good" songs on just his 70s solo albums than his FM stuff, but his very best songs were with them. For me, towards the end.

21. Kursaal Flyers, always in the background never really paid them much attention, nice reissue out. Interesting melodic mix of pub rock, power pop, country rock that tries at times to have street smart swagger. Very interesting, and overlooked.

Juggsnelson and Isitquiex like this.
  22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

23. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Laura Nyro - Really love her stuff, her voice...

CliffL, garrincha and Isitquiex like this.
  24. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Terry Reid-Had absolutely no clue to this guy until a good 5 years ago. Knew none of this guy's music at all. Was happy finding him especially his story of what "almost" happened for him career wise

Yardbirds guitarist Jimmy Page managed by Peter Grant became interested in Reid's work, and when The Yardbirds disbanded, Page wanted Reid to fill the vocalist spot for his proposed new group, the New Yardbirds, which was to become Led Zeppelin.[2] Reid had already committed to go on the road for two tours with The Rolling Stones and another with Cream (as an opening act on the 1968 US Tour). Reid suggested to Page that if he were compensated for the gig fees he would miss out on and Page would call Keith Richards to explain why Reid had to pull out of the US tours, Reid would try some things out with Page. It never happened and Reid told Page to consider a young Birmingham-based singer, Robert Plant, instead, having previously seen Plant's Band of Joy as a support act at one of his concerts. Reid also suggested Page check out their drummer John Bonham.

In 1969, Reid supported British tours, notably Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac. Reid, Solley and Webb toured the United States again when he opened for The Rolling Stones on their 1969 American Tour. He did not appear at the infamous Rolling Stones concert at Altamont Music Festival.[4] In his May 2016 interview with Marc Maron, he discussed other groups and people he toured with including Jimi Hendrix.

25. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Toad.

Got their first three albums on CD after hearing a track posted here.
    Great music that rocks along very well.

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.