60/70s Music You've Just Discovered, But Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

After buying this White Whale Records 1965-1970 compilation at RSD Drop 1, I am now totally smitten with these deliciously trippy pop singles and am digging deeper into bands like The Clique and The Ever Present Fullness. I haven't been this fascinated with an era I missed since I first bought Nuggets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

I had heard only the well known tracks from The Zombies and The Move and nothing from Atomic Rooster. After spending some quality time on You Tube I added these great albums to my library:
    Atomic Rooster: Atomic Ro-o-oster
    Atomic Rooster: Death Walks Behind You
    The Move: Move
    The Move: Shazam
    The Move: Looking On
    The Move: Message From the Country
    The Zombies: Zombie Heaven (Most awesome 4 CD box & book)

badfinger54 likes this.
  3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The Searchers "Take me for what I'm worth" is a lovely album

Juggsnelson and Suncola like this.
  4. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

I'm 21, so never had a chance to get to 70s music at the time, but I'd say 60s/70s make up a good 80% of my music taste. The rest of it is mostly later stuff by same artists.

I'd list:

Emmylou Harris - Luxury Liner
    Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner in Disguise
    Kate & Anna McGarrigle - Self-titled
    Peggy Seeger & Ewan MacColl - Cold Snap
    Maria Muldaur - Waitress in a Donut shop

This is some of my favourite pieces in my collection. Wonderful stuff.

Armjim, Juggsnelson and zphage like this.
  5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Lately I've been getting into Grover Washington, Jr.'s 70s albums.

g.z. likes this.
  6. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

The band Love. Now my second favourite band.

7. Can Utility

Can Utility Forum Resident

Sorry but Gentle Giant in all their incantations were an all Male band.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

In the last year and a half, thanks in large part to a few good folks here, I've become a big fan of:

Henry Cow
    Soft Machine (mainly 1970-1972)
    Agitation Free
    Frumpy

My other favorites include:
    1. King Crimson
    2. Grateful Dead
    3. Coltrane
    4. Dolphy
    5. Monk
    6. Mingus
    7. Zappa
    8. Deep Purple Mark I and Mark II
    9. Dylan
    10. Jefferson Airplane + first Jefferson Starship + Slick/Kantner early '70s stuff

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Based on this I am listening to Seed of Memory and it has to be one of the best things I have heard in a while. I know who this guy is, and know of his association with Page, and I can't believe I really DIDN'T know who he was. So... this thread has proven to be good already. Thanks!

Juggsnelson and Natvecal. like this.
  10. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Terry Reid is someone I got into two years ago.. "Seeds of Memory" and in particular "July" got me.. I have a ton of his mp3s now.

I almost saw him in concert, but I didn't wanna go with my brother and cousin (and his girlfriend) -- too much drama.... They met him after the show, exchanged numbers, but like I thought, they encountered drama after getting pulled over by the police, and the girlfriend was very drunk, etc.. I didn't really care about the story - more interested in Terry.

I got "into" them around 2013, listening to "Forever Changes" and whatever was on YouTube. I listened to "De Kapo" but surprisingly didn't like it.... I think my favorite of Love is "Robert Montgomery"

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

You might also wanna give a listen to Bridget St. John. Her first three albums are fantastic.

Radio KTmS likes this.
  12. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

Big Star, five year's ago. For whatever reason I never pursued them back in the day. Great discovery.

Scott the Zip likes this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Got the Rising Sons CD a couple of years back. Really like that.

zphage likes this.
  14. Both Ry’s and Taj’s Solo albums are recommended with an edge given to Taj for better voice and exuberance.

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  15. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Glad to be of assistance. Graham Nash also produced that album & sang some harmony vocals on it too. If you didn't know this already that is. The album River ('73) is my favorite as it is more of a grower(sleeper?) on repeated listens being not as accessible as Seed Of Memory may be IMO? More subtle & more to take in over time has made River a treat for me at least. This isn't to say one is "better" than the other. Just my 2cents.;)

And,just like you, so under the radar in my life except his name didn't even ring a bell to me! So, been a good five years & I still think, "Why did it take that long to "discover" this guy? Did I flip past his LPs in new & used Record Stores over the decades with no clue as to the "gem" I was passing over? Did I even handle one of his LPs in an effort to get to the LP behind it that I was more interested in? The mind wonders..."

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

The Move (A revelation for me)
    Small Faces/Faces (Apart from the one or two songs I already knew)
    Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac (Same as I said about Small Faces/Faces)
    The Pretty Things
    The Zombies

All those British bands I just listed — and plenty more — I’ve picked up on in part due to listening to Chris Carter’s British Invasion each Saturday (Repeats Sunday) on the Underground Garage channel on Sirius XM. Great show!

Two more artists I’ve grown especially fond of the past couple of years:

* Brian Auger (Amazing organ player... Hard to find a lot of his stuff though. Very scattered discography)

* Michael Nesmith (Knew him well already from The Monkees, but his outstanding, even groundbreaking country-rock albums of the early-mid 70s have really clicked with me the last two years or so. Great stuff).

Oh, my top 5 artists? Hm,.. In no particular order:

The Beatles (Well, they’re my #1)
    Grateful Dead
    Allman Brothers Band
    Billy Joel
    Bob Dylan

17. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

The album cover for Seed of Memory is very familiar, surely saw it when I was a teenager flipping through the 'R's. As I get older I occasionally find something that oozes the essence of another decade that I was a part of and it becomes instantly meaningful to me.

Natvecal. likes this.
  18. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Same here. There is a lot of music that just didn't "click" with me back then too.That does now. Wrong age I guess to appreciate it? Even though I did listen to an rather eclectic field of music by late High School (late '70s) they were still defined by the "box of limitations" as to what I expected of the music if that makes sense? As time mows onward into this new Millennium, I find myself looking back with nostalgia & longing even that have really ripped apart that "box" so to speak and truly enjoying what is out there from that era that I may have been a bit more persnickety than I would have guessed I was as a youth lol. It has relevance to it(meaningful as you noted) to our existence because, it was there,somewhere being played by someone driving by on the radio or from a house on the stereo,at the Record Shop while we were getting our favorite LPs... we just may have actually, heard some of this "under the radar" music we are discovering now a days a bit here & there in some way,shape or form back then but, it just didn't stick or register enough to "recall" later on in life possibly?

Agree as to the connection being the music was there when we were around back in the day though, we may have paid it no heed back then. We certainly are now.:agree: It really helps paint a better fuller tapestry (or picture)of our past & memories IMO:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    131east23 likes this.
  19. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Thanks for listing that! I'll track it down.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  20. Guy Smiley

Happy to help a fellow Milwaukeean! :)

Show’s on as I type this (Sat. 12-4 ET, repeats Sun. 4-8 ET)!

Just did a cool little Who/High Numbers set, currently playing The Kinks “Apeman.” Plays plenty of obscurities too.

Chris is a fun host, does a great job (And usually plays a few non-Brits “Who Deep Down Wish They Were British”) You can see each week’s songlist here:

Chris Carter's British Invasion

You can also go back two weeks to hear shows “On Demand” if you have the Sirius XM app.

21. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

LOL, didn't realize you were from the area also! Listening a bit right now since they played the "old" Nirvana song. Then I stumbled across the record store post. Looks like we haunted the same places, except I pretty much lived and spent all my money at the Exclusive WB location.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  22. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

wow!
    she's like if nick drake and nico made a baby...
    good call,
    and thanks!

23. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Roxy Music. Bought the remixed self-titled debut album on the first RSD “drop” and have been buying their other releases since. Currently up to Country Life (with a side buy of Avalon). Excellent!!

24. Guy Smiley

East Sider/North Shore guy here. Exclusive Co. down on Brady Street would be where I’ve done most of my music shopping for, what, more than a couple of decades now? Used store Bullseye Records too.

One of these days, when the world gets back to some normalcy again, I want to check out this fun looking place up in Theinsville. Some great photos on the FB page, including the giant Blue Meanie:

Stardust Records

Sorry for going off topic, folks!

25. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Over the last few months, some of the British folk bands...Fotheringay, Steeleye Span

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.