60's/70's singers that never took drugs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsmel

mrsmel Active Member

Oh dear. I promise you, that I knew JJ Cale had written that song, which is surprising as I’m Only a music fan, not a musician (and because JJ Cale has written a few of my favorite songs, such as “Tulsa Time”). Just two weeks ago I finished reading Clapton’s autobiography and I’ve already forgotten the timeline on his drug/alcohol use (old timer’s disease, lol). Thanks for reminding me. His autobiography was really good, he pulled no punches about his misdeeds, though I felt really sorry for the girl with whom he lived, one Alice Ormsby-Gore, while he pined for Patti Boyd Harrison, because he started her on heroin, and she was just a young girl. She (Ormsby-Gore) wound up dying destitute, of a heroin overdose. Her family’s story is unbelievably sad, from wealthy aristocrats to deaths from car wrecks, suicide, and drug OD. After learning that, I kind of wondered why Clapton didn’t reach out and at least make her last days a little comfortable, even if he nor anyone else could help her to stop the heroin use. He was aware of her situation.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. mrsmel

mrsmel Active Member

Who would’ve ever think it, Roger Daltrey didn’t do drugs (he tried smoking dope a few times, said it just wasn’t for him), though not so surprising when you consider he was surrounded by three alcoholics/ drug abusers, which drove him nuts. Maybe that’s one reason he still looks so darn good at his age.

3. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I can't imagine John Deacon or Brian May partook in much drug taking

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Beach Boys wise - only Bruce Johnston, apparently. I would HIGHLY doubt Mike and Al didn't partake.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He did sing on his solo music:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    krock2009 and applejam101 like this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Elvis.
    At least not "street drugs"

7. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Yes he did, but the thread was 60s and 70s singers. I was just pointing out that Adrian sang in the 70s too.
    BTW, that was the song that really made me a Belew fan.

krock2009 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

ianuaditis and krock2009 like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

My mistake.

One of the wonderful things about being in Chicago is that we got to see Audrey perform that song live because it was close enough to their home.

applejam101 likes this.
  10. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

That's awesome.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Les26

Les26 Steppenwolf fanatic

Bobby Cochran, lead guitarist for Steppenwolf , Bobby & the Midnites and more. He said everyone assumed since he had the long hair and all it was "hey let's party" but he never did!

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

This is what someone who has never taken drugs looks like:

[​IMG]

13. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

I always had Phil down to enjoy the odd smoke, he was mates with John Martyn after all
    he also looks 'pretty relaxed' in the back cover photo on Brand X's - Morrocan Roll
    as the hash pipe is passed along the line.

[​IMG]

krock2009 likes this.
  14. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not only is Daltrey not a drug user, but he supposedly allergic to cannabis, and nobody is allowed to smoke it in the audience when he's performing. Makes you wonder how he got by in the 60's/70/s (??)

krock2009 likes this.
  15. classicrockguy

I think Carl died of brain cancer, I saw their last concert with him in NJ (PNC Bank Center), he was sitting on a stool when performing. I thought, that's unusual, I hope he's ok. Then at the very end, Mike came out and announced about Carl that they had found spots on his brain and he was not feeling well. I knew that was going to be the last time I saw him perform, unfortunately.

16. classicrockguy

Pretty sure they were as clean as a whistle, never heard any storiesj about them

17. classicrockguy

I read his autobio "Sweet Life", one of the best ones by the way, very funny and real at the same time. He did smoke a few joints here and there, but he never did anything else, and at the point in his career where everything was the craziest, he said "I thank my lucky stars that I never got into drugs..."

applejam101 likes this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Ian Gillan may have not been a drug user, but he definitely liked his alcohol. How much he liked his booze is up for conjecture.

I second the mention of Cory Wells of Three Dog Night. Seems he was the straight arrow in that band.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That is true- when I saw The Who a couple of years back they put a big warning right up on the video screen: "Don't smoke it- eat it instead!":laugh: Truth be told, given our tenth row floor seats, it was kinda nice attending a rock concert in an arena that didn't end up being like a giant hotbox for a change:righton:

mrsmel likes this.
  20. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Frank was buried with: a pack of Camels, a Zippo lighter, 10 dimes... and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

JoeF. and john lennonist like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

I bet Ol' Blue Eyes (not to mention many other dead celebrities who had a thirst) would have been quite dismayed if he made it up to the Pearly Gates only for St Peter to inform him Heaven was a dry county and smoke free to boot:laugh:

Les26 and fenderesq like this.
  22. fenderesq

That's what the dimes were for; so he could call home and have one of the boys pick him up if he wasn't happy with his new digs. First stop... Jilly's.

JoeF. and john lennonist like this.
  23. fenderesq

Elvis's favored drug was a peanut butter and banana sandwich fried in a pound of butter. That'll kill ya quicker then anything you can buy on a corner.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

Totally:laugh:

25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

A blow in Muso speak is a jam, from the jazz days, blowing a horn, the term wired can also refer to someone on top of his game, or wired in the sense of Gtr chords and amps.

MungoMusic and krock2009 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.