60s Music Docs/Video/Films/Biopics on Amazon Prime - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VeeFan64, Mar 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy Thread Starter

I have Amazon Prime for a month and am wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for things to search out and watch regarding 60s music? I'm pretty open minded to what I'll try....it can be a documentary, original film, biopics made after the 60s (but set in that time frame).....just anything relating to the 60s and music.

I'm sure there's some cool stuff that wouldn't appear on the brief music category on the home screen.

Thanks in advance!

2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Long Strange Trip [2017]

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This is the best documentary on the Brill Building I know of

[​IMG]

A bunch of Jewish kids from Brooklyn jump-started the music business in the 1960s, and it’s never been the same. Hitmakers is a fabulously entertaining look at these "teens who stole pop music." The amazing convergence of songwriting talent at Manhattan’s Brill Building created a competitive but prolific community of songwriters, almost all of them Jewish, and few of them older than 27. At the Brill, wordsmiths like Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller ("Hound Dog") wrote hit songs for teen idols such as Elvis Presley, and increasingly for explosively talented black artists like Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick, and The Shirelles. Songwriting team Carole King (later to become a renowned singer) and husband Gerry Goffin ("Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow") composed at an upright piano in a small cubicle. Their friends and rivals Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil ("You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling") were hard at work just a few millimeters of pressboard away in the next cubicle. Burt Bachrach, Hal David, and Neil Sedaka were riffing down the hall. Many of them worked for music producer Don Kirshner, who had tapped into the zeitgeist of 1960s youth, and understood that young teen audiences wanted to buy records by both white and black artists. These were magical years, when smart kids from Brooklyn hopped the subway into Manhattan with crumpled song sheets in hand, swept along by the passion and raw energy of rock ‘n roll. John Turturro narrates this toe-tapping documentary about a formative period in the history of American music, race relations and the nascent record industry. Featuring interviews and archival footage of The Drifters, Aretha Franklin, Ellie Greenwich, Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman, The Righteous Brothers, The Shirelles, and Dionne Warwick.​

https://www.amazon.com/Songmakers-Collection-Burt-Bacharach/dp/B00005O7N6

elaterium, Tim S and VeeFan64 like this.
  5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Whenever these types of requests pop up, I always recommend "Good Ol Freda".
    If you're a Beatles fan, this is the one to watch. Here's the trailer:

Also, the "Wrecking Crew" doc is essential for sixties music...
    Amazon.com: Watch The Wrecking Crew | Prime Video

6. VeeFan64

7. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I'd recommend My Dinner with Jimi, which covers the Turtles' adventures in London around the release of Sgt. Pepper. It's a good movie, just hampered by bad wigs.

8. VeeFan64

Have had that on DVD for years....love it...maybe I'll pull it out again.

9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Couldn’t find this on Amazon Prime.

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

11. craig4755

craig4755 Forum Resident

I think the OP was looking for videos to watch that come included with Amazon Prime Video.

Tim S and George P like this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yes, that should be obvious.

13. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

CSNY one was way better than I expected

14. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Love this documentary, especially Freda’s great story of how she put John Lennon in his place. Classic! :D

paulbright81 and sixtiesstereo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.