6556 or kt88 tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markd16, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markd16

markd16 New Member Thread Starter

I have 3 Jadis DA-5 amps running triamped with 6556 tubes, I have been told that KT 88's are better. Why?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I hope you mean 6550's.

It all depends. What were the amps designed and voiced with? I prefer vintage Tung-Sol 6550's instead of KT-88's. It's a matter of taste...

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Re: Re: 6556 or kt88 tubes

Yes please. I'll take a NOS quad in the original blue and white Tung-Sol boxes. Actually General Electric, Sylvania and RCA were remarking Tung-Sol's in the late '50s and early '60s so those are worth looking for. Such a well known shape though, and in high demand - you'd have to be very lucky to score.

4. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: 6556 or kt88 tubes

I have about 100 NOS examples. A great tube!

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

So, you're the one who's gottem all! When you had yer Dynaco MKIII's, did you use KT-88's (I think that's what they came with from the factory), or did you go Tung-Sol???

6. Steve Hoffman

I used what was in there; Genelex KT-88's.

7. markd16

markd16 New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Northstar leading the way, the distributor of Jadis equipment says that I should only but the Svetlana 6550's, that are sourced from Jadis. I am using 1 amp with the Svet's and the other 2 with Sovtek 6550's. One thing I notice with the Svet's is the warm start they have and the softer glow. They seem to also have more getter surface.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.