6K - DS Audio record eve stabilizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JoelWat, Jul 15, 2022.

1. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident Thread Starter

DS Audio ES-001 'Eccentricity Detection Stabiliser' Available Now DS Audio ES-001 ‘Eccentricity Detection Stabiliser’ Available Now

This seems somewhat far fetched to me. Forget about the price for the moment - difficult I know, but hey…. How can a device like that counter groove eccentricity ! ?? And, especially on my Thorens 125Mk2 a somewhat thinker spindle, there is often no wiggle room at all.

2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Rather like an annoying aunt, it tells you what you already know. And tells everyone else how sad you've become.

Better to spend that $6k on replacement records? I dunno anymore. Maybe I'm no longer an audiophile? I do like their cartridges though.

Hogues, JoelWat and Old Zorki II like this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I do not understand how this is supposed to work….:shrug:
    You move the record, how?
    There is no way that this can correct eccentricity unless you are filing off some of the spindle hole wall, which is what a lot of people do already to play eccentric records, so why do you need this device after all?
    Please illuminate me, if I am wrong.

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Their cartridges are amazingly fast. Want to try them home one day.
    I believe the device is to point you to correct placement of the record after you redrill the hole to be bigger. May be they will have special tool to redrill the record or there are some turntables around with thinner then usual spindle. I am sure it works well and solves the problem no one asked to solve.

JoelWat likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

JoelWat, 5-String and Old Zorki II like this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I really think this could be a gamechanger for LPs and maybe one of the few expensive audio nerd accessories to actually make a significant improvement to performance…

But there’s still only vague details about how it actually works, not enough concrete details and actual reviews of real-world users.

Since it’s an optical device, how does this device fare on different vinyl formulations? Solid colored vinyl? Multicolored vinyl such as splits, splatters, marbled effects? Clear vinyl? Picture discs? Is it affected by these factors at all?

How are you expected to actually move the disc when it’s on a spindle? Is it simply not mentioned anywhere that all your center holes must be reamed beforehand?
    That would probably be a dealbreaker for many collectors.

It’s interesting that they show this demonstrated on an SP10. Most other turntables will probably lack the torque to use this as designed, since it needs to be held down while the platter continues rotating.

I wouldn’t mind a revision of the SP10 that had a removable spindle.

JoelWat and Old Zorki II like this.
  7. Old Zorki II

Are there any turntables with collection of removable spindles in production (not vintage)? I doubt that manufactures will start introducing such nontrivial change to their lineup only to accommodate such rare and pricey device.

JoelWat likes this.
  8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Used a Roksan & now a Vertere for decades remove the centre spindle you save $6000
    Remove the spindle and place it on its magnetic resting spot on the plinth, near the front left corner, saying it was needed only to centre the LP . The efficacy of Vertere’s removable spindle and air-rich/fibre mat is reflected where it really matters. Rumble Measured in-groove falls to –72.5dB, and further still to –74.5dB once the spindle is removed and mat introduced

HFN+Aug+Vertere+SG-1_Reprint-LOW.pdf (squarespace.com)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Texado, JoelWat, jusbe and 1 other person like this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Not that I know of, but such a feature could benefit anyone who wishes to center discs even without the assistance of this device

JoelWat and Old Zorki II like this.
  10. Old Zorki II

True, but you also introduce a very high possibility of improper centering even for perfectly fine records… unless you remember to change spindles )). This is for very anal audiophiles, and they are rarely the main customer )) But I was wrong before ))

JoelWat likes this.
  11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I would probably fit in that category :D

I do recall some years ago someone produced a centering device designed for 7” 45s with the American style large center hole. I never got one as it had pretty limited utility, but it seemed to work well enough from what I could see online. A lot cheaper too.

JoelWat likes this.
  12. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Dragon CT share one incredible feature. Both turntables have a self-centering mechanism that eliminates the wow caused by the spindle hole being punched off center.(1) All of us who play vinyl records have seen the effect of an LP with an off-center spindle hole—the cartridge and arm swings horizontally from side to side with each revolution of the platter. Likewise, we have heard the pitch of a sustained note rise and fall with each revolution of the turntable. This is particularly noticeable on sustained piano notes contained in the last grooves of a side.

[​IMG]

JoelWat likes this.
  13. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

The price is utterly ridiculous and won’t the weight stress the motor in a TT?

14. JoelWat

Seems to work -

15. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Haha what a hilarious and fun toy. Crazy price but I love that it’s straight out of Willy Wonka’s hifi factory.

caracallac, timind, JoelWat and 2 others like this.
  16. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Yes, wouldn't life be full if there were not people who thought completely out of the box and came up with zany ideas like this! Great fun if somewhat unaffordable.

JoelWat, Big Blue and FalseMetal666 like this.
  17. Old Zorki II

This is one horrible video with a shaky hands not even let you visually assess record of-center moving. May be $10 tripod would help showing $6,000 toy )).

18. MGW

'dull' NOT 'full'!

19. JoelWat

It is certainly original thinking. I am starting to warm up to this thing - but I will wait for the Acoustic Sounds branded version made in China at 99

timind and MGW like this.
  20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Does anyone know where the DS audio one is being made?
    These days the Chinese factories will have a clone on the market before they’re done even fulfilling the original order

timind likes this.
  21. JoelWat

Afaik they do all things (cartridges ,phono stage etc) in house so whilst I can't say for certain it is reasonable to assume this is made by them as well. Digital Stream Corp. (Japan) is doing all sorts of cool things with lasers and test equipment as well as audio.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  22. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

This will only work if (a) the spindle diameter is a lot smaller than standard or (b) you have to ream the hole larger. There is no other way of centering the record even if you have this massively priced and heavy gizmo.

And since it measures the eccentricity of the run out groove, it assumes that this is concentric with the playing grooves, which in my experience it often isn't.

And buying that unit is the same price as buying around 200 180g records. I know for certain where I'd put my money.

jbmcb and JoelWat like this.
  23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Aside from 40’s-50’s LPs with deliberately eccentric runouts made to trip clunky old-school changers (which were not cut at the same time as the main program) the runout groove on a typical LP is always concentric with the rest of the cut as it’s part of the same cut. There’s no other possibility.

Pinknik, zombiemodernist and MGW like this.
  24. JoelWat

There is no way in hell I will pay 6K for this thing. But it's creative.

MGW likes this.
  25. MGW

As shown in the video - there is often a little bit of play between the spindle and hole also.
    Even if the price is a bit crazy (albeit for potentially good reason) it is a really interesting idea and watching the video (with all of its production flaws) enriched my day.

JoelWat likes this.