7 Years Later, is The Beach Boys Smile Sessions Box Set Worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spammers, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Get the box so they'll milk the catalog by issuing more, rather than that symphonic ca-ca. At least we'll get outtakes.

2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

This is going to get people riled up I'm sure; Apple should have paid attention to the SMiLE box set when they put together the Sgt. Pepper one last year.

3. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I have heard nothing but good things about the Box but myself I went for the European single disc of SMiLE and I'm happy with that. I prefer it to my Unsurpassed Masters 16 disc

4. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Yes! Sell plasma if you have to.

Stencil, saborlord123 and Folknik like this.
  5. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

I always loathed The Beach Boys, but bought the 2 disc set due to the hype. Ended up loving it.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Better than the Pepper box

7. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Pepper box was a bust. I wish I had just returned it.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's the review from BestBuy:

I have always been a beach boys fan & had collected every album they put out since their first one in the early 60's. I was excited to hear that SMILE Sessions was being released but what a dissappontment it was. Just a compilation of junk that couldn't be made into a hit album. I listened to the first CD and packed the whole thing back up and put it in my closet. Big waste of money. The only things of value are the nostalgic vinyls and notes. Too bad Carl Wilson put out such a bad product when he is such a musical genius.​

saborlord123 and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I agree (and I'm a hard core Beatles fan and completist). With both boxes, we were partially paying for the elaborate packaging, but the Smile Box, with 5 CDs, 2 vinyl LPs, 2 vinyl 45s, a hard cover book, a paperback picture book, a way cool 3d cover, and a BIG poster, gave us much more bang for our buck as well as 4 discs plus of session outtakes as opposed to the 2 discs of them on the Pepper box.

Bob J, saborlord123, NUNZI and 4 others like this.
  10. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I adore the Smile box and feel it a treasure trove on par with last year's Pepper box (which is probably the most well done box I own, all around). But, like that Pepper box, it's likely "too much of a great thing" if one isn't overly-crazy about the album or artist. I love both albums and thus both boxes were welcome and worthy celebrations of the albums at hand in my view. I've played and used the Pepper box far more though (basically a whole year uninterrupted at this point). :)

But Smile is still more than worth the plunge in my opinion. Again, especially if you think you might delve deeper into it or become hooked.

I've become a "super deluxe box" nut in general though. Not that I'm interested in every one that pops up, but between Pepper, Smile, various Elvis boxes, the Zeppelin boxes, etc, there are a good handful or so that I just couldn't resist. I only wish every album I liked could get these treatments! Not that I could afford them all but...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    willy likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Good call that you bought the box. Worth every penny and then some. Although on vinyl is my favorite way to listen to the album proper, I've played the whole box several times and will play it all again and again. If you're into the background and creation of the album, I would recommend listening to all of the session outtakes on the CDs at least once. They're a joy!

oldsurferdude and Gardo like this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Seriously? From BestBuy (which probably had some copies of it for sale)? "Vinyls?" "Carl Wilson?" For real? Or a joke?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You'll be fine with the vinyl.

The entire box is on streaming services...it's cool to do a deep dive into the tracks like that, but unless you're a historian or writing a book on Brian, it's not the kind of thing you're going to listen to more than once or twice. Get the regular album on vinyl, and save your $50 for another album.

Lownote30 likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

LOVE the Smile, box but didn't know about the upcoming Philharmonic album. Just sampled "Fun Fun Fun" (the only preview available on Amazon) and love the orchestral backing. I'm a completist so I'll be getting it. Thanks.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

richierichie likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I have the 2 CD set. It's great. I've listened to it maybe three times since it came out.

saborlord123 and dlokazip like this.
  17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I did return it. It was that bad to me. I love the original mixes, though.

18. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You probably have a good idea of where my vinyl came from. :evil:

saborlord123 and walrus like this.
  19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Wha-a-a-a-at? ‘Smile’ was released?
    When?
    Does Brian know?

richierichie and saborlord123 like this.
  20. alexpop

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Absolutely. Though the standalone 2-LP set seems to be a nicer-sounding pressing than what's in the box, the CD's, book and 7" singles are indispensible.

22. manco

manco Forum Resident

Absolutely. It's the holy grail of popular music.

oldsurferdude and saborlord123 like this.
  23. alexpop

If aesthetics are your number one priority in life then the Smile box is indispensable.

24. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Agree. Most successful Frankenstein edit of em all. Though it's not too different from the old boot tracklistings, the revision or whatever here works really well.

saborlord123 and Catbirdman like this.
  25. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

I'd suggest no, don't buy the box for now. It's rather exhaustive, listening to hundreds of small fragments of tracks. The album itself is quite hard to digest owing to the very diversified selection of tracks. Once you're into that, then get the box. But even as a fan, I found it a bit hard going after a while. I only really listen to the LP now, which does have a selection of bonus tracks on side four. Curiously, out of everything released, there's no stereo mix of the album! I bought the boxset to piece together a stereo mix (as most the fragments are in stereo), which I got about half way through before life got in the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.