7 Years Later, is The Beach Boys Smile Sessions Box Set Worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spammers, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This thread is over a year old now. Presume the op has the box now?

2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Not sure he lost the plot but he abandoned the big studio musician sessions and went in a different musical direction, which it appears you don't like. There's lots of creativity on Smiley and Wild Honey. He got most of the plot back (writing and arranging studio sessions with studio musicians again) with Friends, but the failure of that album and a nervous breakdown definitely derailed him for a time and his productivity and involvement on the albums decreased as the other band members' participation increased.

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

As always Lou nailed it.

oldsurferdude and willy like this.
  4. alexpop

Lol, really. :laugh:

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Hang your head in shame, Carl. ;)

The most infuriating thing about this reviewer is not that he disliked it, which is his prerogative, but that he then held on to it! "Put it in my closet". Lord. Couldn't he at least have given it to a library or a charity shop? It could have been a life-changing event for some listener with little or no cash to splash.

6. alexpop

Box mint new. Isn’t going to remain on shelves forever, it’s already 12 years old. Assuming it’s not sold out already, yikes!!!!

7. Worth every penny and then some.

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Amazing collection of material. I can understand why it's not for everybody.
    Even the remarks made by the other band members, but as the recordings reflect,
    everybody was tuned into the recording process and no bitterness or rebellion
    is present on the session material.
    I could imagine the guys at times saying 'this is crap' and then being held to that,
    being documented, then exaggerated in the media when it was just a passing comment....
    The combination of trying to perfect, tiredness, boredom, not being interested that day etc etc,
    could be summed up with a 'this is crap' from any of the guys.
    Even read that Carl was on the fence, and trying to work through Brian's vision.
    On the other hand, in one of the documentaries, he says point blank, 'Personally, I loved it!'.

In the end, you got to take what The Beach Boys have or haven't said with a grain of salt.
    The music speaks for itself anyway.
    I really never thought we'd see the day the originals sessions would be released in the extravaganza
    set that a lot of us have come to love and cherish.
    Capitol Records hit this one out of the ballpark with this collection of material and supporting documentation.

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Never have so many waited so long, for so... much".

oldsurferdude and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Capitol were making it up as they went along. Originally it wasn't going to have the Good Vibrations disc. The momentum built up on this forum made it a better box.

Lance LaSalle and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. alexpop

Ironically i prefer Smiley Smile myself, but as artifacts go The Smile box is the best, an aesthetic beauty. Another BB Box I love is Good Vibrations.

Lewisboogie and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. alexpop

MADE IN CALIFORNIA

1963 version of Back Home is on it.

Rick’s song!!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  13. Rick Bartlett

I was always puzzled when people were saying, MIC is an upgrade/replacement for the 'GV' set.
    Even now some posters ask is it worthwhile still getting the 'GV' set after having the MIC set.
    There are things on there that you can't get on any other release, especially for a completest.
    Also, speaking of great sets, let's throw in the original 'Pet Sounds Sessions' for good measure.
    Not too shabby either.

oldsurferdude and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

PSS thick booklet / content.
    BB sure know how to package their product!!!!!

15. alexpop

The Beach Boys US singles cd box. Great design / embossed nom de plume. Another treat for the eyes and ears.

16. Rick Bartlett

Yep, between some of the short cuts they've been taking with digital only downloads,
    they sure put some gold nugget releases together since that original GV box in 93'.
    I'm digressing here but, it was an exciting time being a fan, followed with things like 'Endless Harmony' CD/Documentary,
    'Hawthorne, California', the 2fer re-releases, Ultimate Xmas, Dennis POB re-release,
    Knebworth, the rise of Brian Wilson as a solo artist, the C50 reunion.
    It does beg the question of how material is out there that hasn't been released.
    I'd love to see more live footage, particularly the early 70's period.
    Seems to be a big hole in that chapter of The Beach Boys there on film.

Smiler, oldsurferdude and alexpop like this.
  17. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

All the BB boxsets are essential if you're a fan:
    Good vibrations
    Pet Sounds
    Smile sessions
    Made in California

Plus the 5CDs or so worth of material covering Smiley Smile/Wild Honey/Friends and 2020 sessions from the last few years...

And of course the forthcoming 1969/70 boxset

All of this stuff also disproves the myth that Brian didn't have anything to offer after 1966 - which most fans know anyway

18. alexpop

I’m pretty much fixated on BB 1960’s oeuvre. But..seventies as well, including Spring (American).What ever happened to that RTR tape that was advertised in ( who put the )Bomp magazine with Brian Wilson/ American Spring in the studio.. circa 1972/3.?

Aside.
    Maybe another cd singles replica covers cd box. Or a complete Capitol album box every album CD/Vinyl box. Not that interested in another comp cd.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Oh yeah, forgot about Endless Harmony/Hawthorne/UC - that is like a whole other boxset! It's all great

20. Rick Bartlett

Ahh yes, American Spring, really needs a re-boot as some of their stuff is 'top shelf', as we discuss here
    The 'Honeys' / 'American Spring' / 'Spring' Appreciation Thread
    Imagine that, a complete Capitol albums box set.
    I don't like our chances, and it's a pity to not have the complete album collection in one box.
    Would be nice eye candy if they presented their stuff like the wonderful 'Columbia Albums' box sets.
    Hey everyone could use another comp.
    How's this....... (drum roll)
    'More Endless Sounds Of Summer', tracklisting and forward written by Mike Love.....
    :hide:

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Have the see for miles cd/ American Spring.
    Like all the different LP album covers.

22. alexpop

Steve’s 2 DCC cd comps are essential assuming you don’t have them ... Endless ear candy, pure gold.

23. Rick Bartlett

Absolutely!
    This whole Brian disappeared right after 'SMiLE', and hibernated is not a little off, it's a LOT off.
    The evidence shows Brian was still pretty engaged in some capacity right up til around 1970ish? i'd say?

24. alexpop

His voice was still good till his back home mk 2 macho gruff voice. ( blame cigarettes).

25. Rick Bartlett

I don't have those....
    Yep, discipline me.
    [​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.