7 Years Later, is The Beach Boys Smile Sessions Box Set Worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spammers, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sell some stuff. You have to get the 2 gold CDs. :edthumbs: DCC ( used to be cheap).

Just checked ebay uk has endless summer for £420.00 .... DCC CD.

Lordy price has skyrocketed!!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Love his voice timber right up to 'In The Back Of My Mind' 75' version.
    It's an end of an era voice for me, and the start of the new....

oldsurferdude and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

I sort of peak with BW with Let It Shine.
    Wish Jeff Lynne would write some more tunes with him.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Got it for Christmas of 2011 and still love listening to it. The 3 sides of vinyl is my favorite way to listen to the album proper, but I also enjoy all of the sessions and still give the 45s an occasional spin. You have to be more than a little obsessive to enjoy listening to all of it again and again. Guilty as charged.

willy, Lewisboogie and alexpop like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Blame cocaine, too

Celebrated Summer and agundy like this.
  6. alexpop

Blame Marcella. :D

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sounds like you had made up your mind before hearing it. For what it's worth there are better ways to hear SMiLE than CD1 in that boxset.

willy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I would still like to see them take another whack at Smile with a more natural stereo treatment, leaving out the unnecessary fly-ins and the crossfades.

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I agree!
    I always thought the 2 disc set was a great balance for the fan, and the curious who wanted to hear a bit more
    of what went on......
    (It also came with a interesting, but useless pointless button/badge)
    :cool:

agundy, oldsurferdude and mr.datsun like this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes all I have is that 2CD. But for the album itself, I do prefer the bootleg comps I made over the years compiled from all my official BB CDs and the Sea of Tunes/Vigatone CDs I have.

A good single disk sequence made from the masters with no modern effects would be great.

yesstiles and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

I’ve made some pretty grandiose Smile playlists using all the sessions and snippets from the CDs. I too would like to hear some of the material without the fly-ins, the lost tapes, etc.

These days I like to use the Smile Sessions versions of the songs and substitute them on my Smiley Smile playlist. One day I had a wild hair and made a “Smiley version” of Cabin Essence by removing the “Who Ran...” sections. It’s on my boobtube channel.
    yonder hillside

12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Not surprising that this came from someone referring to records as "Vinyls". :rolleyes:

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And rio. You can always blame part of it on Rio.

Bill Larson likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's hilarious. Obviously a troll ("carl" Wilson?).

Anyway, definitely read some of the reviews of the large box before buying. My own view is that they sold a ton of these when it was released, so there should be used boxes available at good prices. Definitely worth it at the right price.

Anyway, The Smile Sessions remains one of the highest rated albums in the history of Metacritic at 96/100, so it has its supporters.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I've listened to the main disc on occasion. I listened to discs 2-100 exactly once. Still, there was no way I wasn't going to buy this.

Ryan Lux, MRamble and Mr. D like this.
  16. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

Here's a question for the Smile obsessives out there;

How much of the big box contains material that has never surfaced on bootlegs? For example if one had most of the boots, would the box set be worth it for new material alone -beside the improvement in sound quality?

17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This is not an exhaustive list but hits the major unreleased and unbooted stuff on TSS:

Wonderful 1 tracking session excerpts
    Worms tracking session excerpts
    You’re Welcome vocal session
    Dada - 2 versions 12/22
    I Don’t Know 1/12/67
    Some Heroes "Part 2 revised" sessions
    Vegetables “chomping” overdub extract (a bonus track)
    Cool Cool Water 6/7/67
    Surf’s Up Brian solo fall 1967

Lewisboogie, willy and oldsurferdude like this.
  18. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

Thanks so much Lou!

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

That's a great song. Lynne knew how to show off his best at the time. He should've produced the entire album.

20. alexpop

Jeff wrote the verse and bridge, BW came up with Chorus. Prefer the ELO man’s contribution more. Even BW was astounded by the songs long bass solo.

21. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

You can hear what happened if you know where to listen. By the late '60s, he stopped singing high for the most part, and mostly because of psychological, not physical, reasons. He's gone on record saying he came off too "vulnerable" because of how high his voice was on "Let Him Run Wild."

It's also worth noting that falsetto singing started to go out of fashion when the influence of do wop started to fade from pop, around 1965-66, so part of him singing lower was just him changing with the times. Bruce Johnston cites "Break Away" as the record where they stopped singing high.

But Brian still had that falsetto. It lights up parts of Bruce's own "Deirdre" from Sunflower. Same goes for the bridge of "Take A Load Off Your Feet" from Surf's Up, which Brian sang. He might not have wanted to sing that way, but he could if he chose to and he could still do it extremely well.

By the American Spring album in 1972, a vocal roughness was apparent in his vocals toward the end of "Sweet Mountain." By Holland, he sounded like he was barely able to croak out the opening lines of Al's "California Saga: California" but you can tell it's still him. Sounds like he sang it one time then walked out, and the band used what they could. On "Child Of Winter" from '74 he does a semi-spoken part that sounds like his old voice, sort of.

But when 15 Big Ones appeared in 1976, his vocals were more or less unrecognizable. The real decline seemed to come after 1973 -- and after the death of Murry Wilson, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    JSKC, oldsurferdude and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Did you buy Spring ( American ) tape that was advertised in Who Put The Bomp( aka bomp) magazine... Brian Wilson was on the cover ?

23. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

No, I had a CD reissue I bought at Tower Records at some point in the '90s. I had a hard time listening to it because I felt they were off-key a lot. Plus some of their renditions of oldies didn't do it for me. I sold it to a used record store a few years later...and was unpleasantly surprised to learn it now goes for very high prices.

24. alexpop

CD reissue ?

Yeah the RTR tape only cost a few bucks.

Ha! When the Honeys reformed in the eighties Marilyn sent me a nice fan letter ( pink paper) + signed 8x10 group foto.

25. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Celebrated Summer, I think you may not be entirely correct about Brian's voice on Holland, especially on the Mt. Vernon & Fairway stuff. He sounds clear as a bell on that material. I'm also not picking up that he was barely able to croak out the opening lines of "California". To me, he sounds as good as ever on that as well. I would guess that yes, we all hear a bit differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.