70s/80s Rockabilly: Not Just The Stray Cats

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Kingbees have to get a mention in a thread like this.

pscreed and HominyRhodes like this.
  2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Top shelf all the way with The Blasters and Spanic Boys.
    Another great 80s rockabilly was Don't Follow Me , I'm Lost Too - Pearl Harbour.

troggy and pscreed like this.
  3. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Rockabilly (Punkabilly) bands today are the PEACOCKS.
    Check them out.

4. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Rockats - Make That Move....great song.....fantastic video

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Rockabilly and new wave were side by side in the early 80's. Same fans were at the shows.
    Also plenty of acts that crossed over like X and The Cramps.
    The only national act I saw was the Stay Cats (and the Cramps) but there were plenty of local acts around then.
    I missed the revival in the 90's???

6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

As for today I wonder what direction Imelda May will take in the future.

A couple months ago I saw Kim Lenz.

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've been collecting rockabilly since 1962, followed it thru the 70's revival (Robert Gordon, Stray Cats, etc)
    to the present day (Imelda May, Pete Anderson, etc), but the best, by far latter day I ever heard was
    Go Cat Go. Even though they're no longer with us (their leader Darren Spears was murdered in a robbery),
    they first got together in 1989, and the only CD comp of their recordings is an absolute MUST have for any
    fan of "real" rockabilly. Other than original Sun rockabilly, this is the best you're ever gonna hear...
    [​IMG]

8. sixtiesstereo

And as I mentioned above, the European rockabilly artist Pete Anderson is the real deal also, and his
    "Brassabilly" album (rockabilly with horns, steel guitar, etc) is essential. His current group, "The Swamp
    Shakers" is straight rockabilly, and their CD is fantastic. And Annie on upright bass is something to
    behold....we don't often see a "rockabilly chick" pounding away on bass! Love it........

Larry Mc likes this.
  9. sixtiesstereo

And here's Pete Anderson's "Hillbilly Blues" from his "Brass-A-Billy" album from 2008.
    Consider it rockabilly/western swing, but it rocks and is my favorite track on the CD.
    Horns, steel guitar and a bit of accordion rockin' out over a rockabilly beat. Unique and
    a great listen......

Larry Mc likes this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

The Zantees

troggy likes this.
  11. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

This is a very interesting thread. I've been on a big rockabilly kick lately. Mostly 50's rockabilly. I have Jerry Lee Lewis 'Rare Tracks' Rhino CD playing at the moment.

For many of these artists, I enjoy recordings from throughout their career. I'm talking about people like Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Charlie Feathers, Link Wray, etc. For example, Carl Perkins 1973 release "My Kind of Country' is one if his finest recordings.

So, I'm curious if anyone here has any favorite 70's or 80's recordings by 50's rockabilly artists

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Shout out for The Frantic Flattops, also, Lemmy's side project with the Stray Cats' Slim Jim Phantom and Danny B Harvey: The Head Cat.

13. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

This thread has renewed my interest in 70's - 80's rockabilly. Thank you. Just purchased the 4 compilation CD's from the 1970's label "RIPSAW".
    I was amazed to see that these are available. Ripsaw was a tiny independent label recording many authentic new rockabilly songs, plus
    many 50's covers. They were located in Pennsylvania. I had many of the 45's back in the day. "Hot Rod Man", and "Bad Boy" by
    Tex Rubinowitz are classic examples of "Ripsaw's" glory days.

HominyRhodes and zphage like this.
  14. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

johnny & the jailbirds

another from the UK , I believe, from the '79-'82 era

15. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

YES! great label, and exactly the time period I was thinking of, '76- '84

Martha Hull who would also sing with Wash DC punks: Afrika Korps and the Slickee Boys

JazzFanatic likes this.
  16. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tennessee Border!!!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I love a lot of the aforementioned stuff. Back in the 80s and 90s I was very into the Milkshakes, Thee Mighty Caesars and Thee Headcoats. Not exactly psychobilly or rockabilly, they were based almost entirely on the sound of the Hamburg-era Beatles, with a bit of early Kinks, Who and some surf music influences thrown in. They were associated with and shared labels with many of the psychobillies. I got into Steve Hooker and Boz Boorer through this scene. Boz was, I believe, one of the Polecats, and I highly recommend Boz and the Bozmen's great LP "Dress In Dead Mens' Suits".

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Just listened to some more samples, and I may have to hunt this one down. Thanks for bringing them up.

19. sixtiesstereo

I was replaying my Go Cat Go cd after posting the above, and man, you have to hear this track.
    This is wild, pure rockabilly, and I still say they were the all time best post fifties rockabilly group
    there ever was. Real rockabilly really is the only true rock and roll, no matter what anybody says......

20. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

21. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

The Queen.

rene smalldridge and goodiesguy like this.
  22. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Some Canuck stuff

HominyRhodes likes this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

One of my favorites, they've kept it very much like the original 1958 recording by Johnny Powers too.

Mylene and HominyRhodes like this.
  24. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Hear many Chris Isaak influenced sounds, but not much rockabilly at all.

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Danny Gatton is a guitar god. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.