70's crime movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AndrewK, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Some that may be listed by the time I post: Badlands, Chinatown, Killer Inside Me and The Onion Field.
    A few 70s crime movies hiding out in different genres: A Clockwork Orange, Doc, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, The Legend of Lizzie Borden, Blue Collar, Murder by Decree.

Brickie and Bluesman Mark like this.
  2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Though Blue Collar suffers somewhat from Paul Schrader's typical heavy handedness, both in the writing & the directing, it's still good & well worth seeing for the excellent performances by Harvey Keitel, Richard Pryor & especially Yaphet Kotto.

3. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Charles Bronson made a few euro crime thrillers in the early 70s.

Rider On The Rain
    Violent City (With Kojak)
    Cold Sweat (With James Mason)

One called The Burglars with Omar Shariff and -Jean-Paul Belmondo. It was good, not brilliant.

AndrewK and Bluesman Mark like this.
  4. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Off the top of my head

UK..

Get Carter
    Villain
    Sitting Target
    Sweeney
    A Clockwork Orange

US..

The Godfather
    The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3
    Mean Streets
    Clint Eastwoods crime movies
    Across 110th street
    Black Caesar
    Coffy
    Foxy Brown
    Hitman
    Hammer
    Shaft In Africa
    Superfly

I love those old Blaxploitation movies

BobbyG and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I just saw ‘The Outfit’ for the first, and I think it’s worth a look. It’s the kind of spare, pessimistic crime film that could only gave been made between 70-75. Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker, and Karen Black, who sort of vanishes for the center part of the movie, which leads me to believe the work print was a lot longer. You can buy it on Amazon prime for 5 bucks. It’s a slow starter, but is a good movie, with a surprisingly upbeat finish.

Trey A and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

There’s also THE LAST RUN, starring George C. Scott, from 1971.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  7. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Sorcerer a crime movie? I think it's an excellent movie, but would call it a thriller, not a crime movie.

AndrewK likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Or stream it for $2.99 w/Prime Video.

You're right, I'm wrong.

9. Trey A

Trey A Forum Resident

There are so many great ones from this decade! First one that popped into my head is Charley Varrick, directed by Don Siegel (who also did the first Dirty Harry movie).

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Another 70s Chandler adaptation, Farewell My Lovely with Robert Mitchum, is pretty good (the remake of The Big Sleep, not so much).

There's another Marlowe movie with James Garner as Philip Marlowe, called Marlowe (based on The Little Sister, IIRC). I think it's actually from the late 60s, but having Garner play the detective gives it a strong "Rockford Files" vibe, as you might expect.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Agree! Interestingly, Long Goodbye was set in the 70s, when it was made, so a kind of updated Chandler. Farewell is a fine fun film, especially if you like Mitchum, set in 1941.

Bluesman Mark and uzn007 like this.
  12. RhodyDave125

I wasn't sure. Haven't seen it some time, and think it's a remake of The Wages of Fear. Thanks for confirming.

13. Myke

Not confirming anything. Took your word for it that it's not a crime film.

14. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

Swedish movie ”Man On The Roof” from 1976. Swedish title is ”Mannen På Taket”.

I copied this storyline from IMDB:

Police lieutenant Nyman is murdered in his hospital bed and Martin Beck and his colleagues have another murder to solve. They discover that Nyman was a very tough policeman who received several complaints about his methods. His partner Hult defends him against these accusations, while Nyman's widow explains that Hult was the only one outside of the family who knew where Nyman was hospitalized. It becomes obvious to Beck, that a lot of people wanted Nyman dead, but he is not the only one targeted. Soon a sniper kills policemen from a roof in central Stockholm.

15. RhodyDave125

Thanks for confirming you weren't confirming anything I said.

16. Myke

Sure sounds like a statement of correction. Pretty odd to quote someone, make such a statement, then say you didn't know yourself.

17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

ThunderBolt and Lightfoot.
    It disappoints me that Clint and Jeff never worked together again.

Brickie likes this.
  18. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

George Kennedy was brilliant in the film too.

19. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Many of the films you mention i like the one that sticks out is The Laughing Policeman, great film it's very rarely shown in the UK i can't remember when i first saw it. I got it from Amazon on a Region 1 DVD. I've had to purchase quite a few films on the american region discs because they're not available in the UK. The first one i got was No Way To Treat A Lady (George Segal, Lee Remick and Rod Steiger) a late sixties movie. Very rarely on TV in the UK.

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

I have the DVD. Lee Remick :love:

Brickie likes this.
  21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Not sure if its considered a crime film, but Night of the Juggler has the greatest chase scene of all-time. Puts Bullitt and The French Connection to shame.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Have you seen The Driver (1978). Very good, an influence on Drive I would say.

Bluesman Mark and Brickie like this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Performance (1970), really great film of a criminal on the run and classic Nic Roeg.

The Day Of The Jackal, another classic.

sharedon and Brickie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.