70's Sci-Fi Appreciation Thread (pre-Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Billy Budapest, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Mariette Hartley still looking fantastic!

It's funny--the reason why Gene Roddenberry gave her two belly buttons in Genesis II is that the network did not allow her to show her navel in the Star Trek episode she appeared in!

Attached Files:

2. I think that's one of those Roddenberry myths that he perpetuated because it was a clever thing to say. By the third season Roddenberry had little to do with the show (he was still credited as executive producer but had all but abandoned his baby when NBC moved it to 10pm against his wishes and Fred Freiberger was in charge--although Roddenberry did contribute some scripts this episode wasn't one of them).

Still, it makes a great story.

3. Billy Budapest

Yeah, could be. Still, the more of Mariette Hartley exposed on screen, the better! ;)

pscreed likes this.
  4. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Even though it isn't dark, it IS before Star Wars, and I just HAVE to say it..."Star Trek" (The Original Series). But of course, all the POTA films rule, I love The Black Hole, A Boy and His Dog...wow, same with Logan's Run (great dark films).

I love the one pop culture reference (among many...bleh) in Family Guy recently, where an announcer on the TV says "And every 70s Sci Fi movie ever made..." and it shows an exaggerated, extremely gruesome, and twisted ending to a 70s sci fi-esque film. So hilarious!

Also, Star Wars, as much as I'm OBSESSED with the Original Trilogy from 77-83 and many of the books and comics, is NOT Science-Fiction. More truly, Star Wars is Space-themed Fantasy. More like "LOTR in Space" (no, not a typo, I mean "Lord of the Rings in Space") than a Star Trek, POTA, or Logan's Run.

5. Billy Budapest

Science Fiction and Fantasy are often lumped together. The genres are similar and I see no problem with calling Star Wars Science Fiction or Fantasy.

Back on topic. Does anyone know if a widescreen release of Colossus: The Forbin Project is on the horizon? Like, for the blu-ray release?

6. Billy Budapest

I have been watching the Logan's Run TV series on DVD. The TV series ins't *quite* pre-Star Wars--it ran during the 1977-78 TV season--but I figured it is close enough, especially since the original movie predates Star Wars. Anyway, the series so far has decent scripts, some smart dialog, and good acting. Donald Moffat as Rem is especially entertaining. It's a shame the series only lasted 14 episodes!

7. My only complaint was the need to retool the pilot episode and to basically remake "Logan's Run" within 60 minutes. The best episodes are the two penned by David Gerrold (which, unfortunately, underwent rewriting by someone else and, as a result, he used his pen name) and the story Harlan Ellison provided for an episode.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I haven't seen an episode of that series since it aired way back when on CBS. I remember growing to like the Rem character played by Donald Moffat, but by the time I got engrossed in the series it was gone.

Harry

9. Billy Budapest

I remember watching the series when it first aired and thinking everything about it looked so cool. Nowadays, everything looks really low budget! I mean, Battlestar Gallactica and Buck Rogers, both of which aired nearly around the same time, had much better production values. I guess I was not too discerning those early childhood days! ;)

10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I guess they got a wide-screen DVD release in the UK a couple years ago. For reason I will never understand, as you know we only have a pan 'n scan. This film is brilliant and has been flying under the radar for years, would love to see it get some reissue respect.

11. HGN2001

I'm still holding on to my COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT widescreen LaserDisc.

Colossus1.jpg

Colossus2.jpg

Harry

Mr Bass, Billy Budapest and pscreed like this.
  12. Keep hoping that "Colossus" will one day see a decent DVD (widescreen) or blu-ray release. It's Universal so I don't think that's likely.

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I would almost be willing to never get the theatrical cuts of Star Wars on blu-ray if I could get THX 1138.

14. Billy Budapest

You can get A Boy and His Dog in HD on iTunes. I was pretty surprised by that, given its spotty DVD release history.

15. Billy Budapest

Just spent a late night watching a double feature of the Terminal Man and The Illustrated Man. Both are highly recommended. Neither was really critically acclaimed, and each film definitely had shortcomings, but both were entertaining.

I am thinking about expanding the scope of this thread to include ALL sci-fi from the late sixties through, say, the early eighties. That way, I can include a Coma-Wolfen-Looker triple feature, followed by an Outland-Meteor-Saturn 3 afternoon.

16. Billy Budapest

Time for a bump! What's your favorite 70's Sci-Fi?

Still waiting for a widescreen release to Colossus: the Forbin Project to make it to Blu-ray . . . or even DVD for that matter!

17. A number of them and, yes, Colossus: The Forbin Project is #1 on my wish list. Others....

Some TV movies that belong on the list:
    1. Night Slaves-directed by Ted Post made for ABC-TV
    2. The Love War-with Lloyd Bridges and Angie Dickenson.

Other favs:
    1. Phase IV (flawed film certainly and I'd like to see Saul Bass' cut--available on DVD)
    2. A Boy and His Dog (just released on Blu-ray)

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Billy Budapest

Speaking of TV movies, how about The People, aired on ABC in 1972, with William Shatner? I've read that it's good.

19. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

What do you mean "pre-Star Wars"? My timeline prior to 1977 reads, "Here there be Dragons".

20. Billy Budapest

Yes, "pre-Star Wars" means before 1977. If you haven't checked out any Sci-Fi from before then, this thread is a pretty useful guide!

21. HGN2001

I just got hold of the Universal Vault version of THE QUESTOR TAPES, the pilot film from Gene Roddenberry with Robert Foxworth and Mike Farrell. I always loved this film from its original broadcast back in the '70s, and have had a wonky VHS copy taped from local television as my only source.

Once I found out that Universal had put it out on MOD media, I had to order it. I've not yet looked at it, but a quick sample shows it looking decent enough.

Harry

22. Billy Budapest

I have just started watching the 1975 UK series Star Maidens. Silly title, pretty good show! The production design--sets, costumes, hairstyles, soud effects, visual effects--look very similar to the first season of Space: 1999. I'm three episodes in (I watch it on Youtube while working out). I recently heard about the series and I'm glad I discovered it.

23. Billy Budapest

Just discovered the '72-'73 TV series Search, and its TV movie pilot, Probe. They look very interesting. Does anybody have any memories they can share?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00501LJI6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I9BU2IC

I also noticed that The Questor Tapes is available from the Universal Vault series too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009AGEZ8S

Finally, straddling the chasm between Science Fact and Science Fiction, here is the In Search Of box set, discounted to $59.00. Those Nimoy voiceovers and eerie electronic music still give me nightmares!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008X8VM1W

24. HGN2001

I have a vague recollection of watching SEARCH. As I recall, it aired on NBC, and that was a network I didn't frequent much. But because in that era, ANYTHING, VAGUELY science fiction was welcome, and instantly compared with the recently-departed STAR TREK, which was gaining steam in syndication.

I recall SEARCH being more like THE TIME TUNNEL, with scientists back at the base looking in on the operations of the team members. I'm going by memory here as I haven't seen a frame of it since it left the network. They had some kind of camera attached to them so the folks in the lab could monitor the goings on, and the missions were all espionage related, I think.

I gladly watched due to the dearth of science-fiction, but don't know if I'd want to revisit it. If it were plopped in front of me, I'd give it a go, but I'm not going out to actively "search" for it.

Harry

25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I'll add my own thumbs up for Phase IV. Nice little movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.