70's Sci-Fi Appreciation Thread (pre-Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Billy Budapest, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Silent Running
    A Boy and His Dog
    Sleeper
    The Andromeda Strain
    Dark Star
    Colossus: The Forbin Project

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve!

With the Coronavirus Apocalypse keeping most of us housebound, it sometimes feels like we are living in a dystopia. Cruising the at times empty streets, it can feel like we are reenacting a 70’s flick.

However, all it not lost—we have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services galore to keep us entertained—and sane.

All three services have been giving me recommendations based on my viewing and search histories, and those have included pre-Star Wars sci-fi. I think it’s the perfect way to pass time—we can take umbrage in the fact that the Coronavirus is not the Andromeda Strain.

Picking up on the last entries in this thread from a few years ago, the timeline has been stretched from the late 1960’s to perhaps 1981. No longer pre-Star Wars, and no longer just the 70’s. I figure we can broaden our horizons a little.

To kick things off, I have a few new additions to the thread—at least, I don’t think they have been listed previously—that have been re-brought to my attention through streaming services:

The Shape of Things to Come (1979)

Eyes of Laura Mars

The Stepford Wives

The Boys from Brazil

The Warriors

Further comments? Suggestions? Or should I have not requested the thread be reopened? ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Billy Budapest

What, you say The Warriors isn’t sci-fi? Its vision of NYC bears more a resemblance to Mad Max “wasteland flicks” than real life.

5. Oh, so is it possible to reopen threads that are closed (presumably because of inactivity?), at least in some limited situations?

Not that doing so in every case is warranted (or even most cases), but many a time have I discovered some Really great long-lost (inactive, and locked) threads that I’d give my hen’s teeth to be able to revive - without trying to start them again from scratch.

6. Billy Budapest

Anybody seen City Beneath the Sea? It’s in Warner’s Archive Series (on-demand burned DVD’s) for titles that otherwise wouldn’t see a release otherwise (probably not on streaming services, potentially unofficially on YouTube, though). Worth a look?

City Beneath the Sea (1971 film) - Wikipedia

7. On paper at least, that looks pretty promising, and pretty darn interesting.

That’s right in that sweet spot for sci-fi (for me at least), from roughly 1968-76 (everything between Planet of the Apes and the first Star Wars film). Everything is very hit-n-miss for me outside of that range, but mostly “hit” inside that range.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  8. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Fun thread. Here's a review/synopsis on The Martian Chronicles mini-series, made in '79 and airing in January 1980 -

I'm enjoying it. Of course, there's no shortage of cheese but the Bradbury storylines trump everything. Nice YT copy.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

CITY BENEATH THE SEA had an interesting pedigree with its Irwin Allen connections.

As a fan of THE TIME TUNNEL, I find a lot of callbacks to that series in the movie. First, there's co-star Robert Colbert as "Woody". He was one of the two time travelers in the earlier series, and his nickname harkens back to the nickname of the general back in the Time Tunnel complex - Heywood Kirk - a.k.a. Woody.

Not so coincidentally, Kirk was played by Whit Bissell, who's found among the cast in this telemovie.

Colbert's co-star in The Time Tunnel was James Darren, yet another guest star in this movie-pilot.

Look carefully at the undersea lab complex. See that big oval window? Yep, it's one of the old Time Tunnel rings!

Then there's Richard Basehart, the admiral from Allen's neighboring series, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.

For all of these homage/callbacks though, I find this pilot movie a bit bland. I'm not crazy about Stuart Whitman, and Robert Wagner seems misplaced.

Billy Budapest and NickySee like this.
  10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Wouldn't mind a viewing if I could find a decent streaming copy. Might have to go the torrent route (not sure I'd want to buy it).

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Solaris (1968, Lidiya Ishimbaeva Boris Nirenburg)
    Kris Kelvin joins the space station orbiting the planet Solaris, only to find its two crew members plagued by "phantoms," creations of Solaris. Kelvin is soon confronted with his own phantom, taking the shape of his dead wife Hari.
    This is the first (televised) film version of Stanislaw Lem's novel of the same name. Andrei Tarkovsky, of course, would spearhead a major film release in '72 and Steven Soderberg would take a spin on it in '02. The YT version above is in two parts with English subs.

Billy Budapest and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.