70's sporting events

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

By the end of 1976, there were 25,000 Betamax recorders in the U.S. I'm surprised that no recording has surfaced of the great Raiders-Patriots playoff game from that year. Other sporting events from that early home video era, which I would love to discover, are a 1977 Monday Night Baseball game with Mark Fidrych dominating the Yankees, like he did the year before in a game which does exist. ABC didn't save every game and the 1977 one was one they didn't. I also remember another great Monday Night game, not sure of the year, between the Reds and Cardinals, with Al Hrabosky coming in with the bases loaded, no one out and the heart of the Reds order coming up and he retired them all. Another one ABC wiped.

Home recording started even earlier, going back to 1965, with CV, EIAJ and UMatic machines, not to mention Cartrivision. I would have thought more rarities would have surfaced but I guess the people who were rich enough to own those things aren't around in the trading mainstream. I also shudder to think of how many one of a kind recordings were tossed out by heirs who hadn't a clue as to what they had.

Vahan likes this.
  2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

We all got very lucky when they found game 7 of the 1960 world series in the Bing Crosby wine cellar. NBC was the worst culprit of not saving sporting events. the 1973 AFC Championship was saved due to CBS recording the NBC feed for (apparently) highlights for their NFC broadcasts. Tapes were so expensive prior to the 80's that saving a home recorded sports event was kind of rare. I feel very lucky with what has come out!

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm grateful someone taped this historic moment: Bobby Orr gets tossed out of a hockey game! Why am I grateful? It was the only NHL game I ever attended. Phil Esposito going against his brother Tony in goal. Oh yeah, not big news, but Derek Sanderson got thrown out of the game earlier. If I recall, with :50 seconds left in the game when Orr got tossed, it took 45 minutes to clean the ice and "restore order."

Steve Litos likes this.
  4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Orr was famous for those swan dives (the Flyers' Rick Macleish was another) , and always pitched a fit when he didn't get the call.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

So that's what you think happened on that night in 1974? Did you even watch the video?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.