77 Sunset Strip/ Hawaiian Eye/ Surfside Six/ Bourbon Street Beat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

If that's true, then I suspect DVD releases should follow shortly.

2. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Perhaps. At least some sort of print-on-demand system.

Klen7000 likes this.
  3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Wow,now you're talking..I grew up with these classic Warner Bros. series..Hawiian Eye being my fav with the cool[Anthony Eisley,Robert Conrad,the cute Connie Stevens and Ponce Ponce] and everybody loved[77 Sunset Stripe].

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

That's what Warner Archive does and has been doing for at least a decade.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My wife was raised largely without a tv in the house, so most old shows fall into the "It's new to me" category for her. Over the weekend, Decades had a 77 Sunset Strip "weekend binge," and she got hooked. I thought I'd get a dvd set, but see that all of those related WB shows are not available. Bummer!

As a side note: I had never seen much in the way of the season 6 shows, but caught several last night. TOTALLY different show, but still very good in its own way (IMO). Much of the breezy stuff was jettisoned for season 6, but the dark/noir feel was cranked up a few notches, which I like.

Simon A, Reader and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dino’s Lodge.

Anybody eat there ?

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Connie Stevens was considered a babe back then.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Hawaiian Eye 1959-63.

Larry Mc likes this.
  9. alexpop

Peyton Place 1964-69.

Barbara Perkins.

Frank Sinatra was a fan of this tv series.

fr in sc and Larry Mc like this.
  10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"Checkmate" - Doug McClure, Sebastian Cabot, and Anthony George
    Private detectives solve cases in San Francisco with the help of a British criminologist.

Lots of great shots of early 60's San Francisco

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Sunset Strip ..such a catchy theme tune.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

alexpop likes this.
  13. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I watched all these shows when they aired and own most of them now. Remember how everyone's voice had live ambience...no matter where they were, there was a touch of slap reverb. Even with the westerns Sugarfoot etc.

I thought 77 went a little strange...promoting kookie from valet to private detective.

Hawaian Eye surfside, roaring 20s...all interesting. I remember checkmate was on Saturday nights. With the defenders after....I think.

I also liked the short-lived Hong Kong series with lloyd bochner

sharedon likes this.
  14. alexpop

Don’t recall Surfside Six or Bourbon Street Beat.

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I would love a DVD release Of Hawaiian Eye and Sunset Strip, but at this point it seems highly unlikely. I'm not familiar with the other two shows but I'm sure they have many fans who feel the same about them.

16. alexpop

Tenderfoot/Sugerfoot.
    Sure were a lot of tv western series back in the day.

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

What about 77 Sunset Strip pilot
    Girl On The Run(1958)?

19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I had some vague knowledge of 77 Sunset Strip when I was a kid. My mother told me that Ed Byrnes in Grease had played some character named Kookie back in the day.

Fast forward to around 15 years ago and GoodLife TV showed both it and Hawaiian Eye back to back. I became quite hooked for a while. Both shows were more than implausible, but very entertaining. Love the style of the times: the suits, the cars, the Midcentury and Tiki sets. It also does not take much to notice that they are essentially the same show in different locales. Two suave private eyes, a gushing babe, and the local guy with a simple job and goofy personality who actually knows anything and everything that is going on. Would it be fair to say that Kookie and Kim inspired later characters such as Huggy Bear and Rooster?

In any case, both are a lot of fun and I would love to own them. Also caught Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street, but they did not grab me as much.

TimM likes this.
  20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

That is almost exactly my history with these shows. I recorded a few episodes of each off Good Life TV, but I would have done more if I'd thought they would never get released.

Jack Lord likes this.
  21. alexpop

What cars were featured in Sunset Strip?

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Roy Huggins - Wikipedia

Jack L. Warner deliberately had the pilot to 77 Sunset Strip, entitled Girl on the Run, screened briefly at movie theatres in the Caribbean to legally establish that the television series derived from a film, rather than, as was actually the case, several books and novellas Huggins had written in the 1940s. Since these were not the only occasions on which Warner had found a way to circumvent Huggins' creative rights, he left the studio soon thereafter.​

alexpop likes this.
  23. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Of course, Huggins himself was accused of plagiarizing David Goodis' Dark Passage for The Fugitive.

» DAVID GOODIS vs. THE FUGITIVE, by Francis M. Nevins

alexpop likes this.
  24. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Looks like 77 Sunset Strip's run on MeTV is ending. Effective September 2, it's being replaced in the late-night rotation (3AM Central time) by Barnaby Jones.

MeTV started airing 77 Sunset Strip in January 2017, and since then they've aired all of the episodes in order multiple times, starting over with Season 1 again every time they came to the end of the series.

I 'd love to see an official DVD release, but I'm afraid that ship may have sailed. I have the whole series on DVD-Rs of varying quality that were clearly sourced from multigeneration VHS dubs, and consequently don't look anywhere near as good as the MeTV airings, or the Warner Archive streaming versions that used to be available when that channel was still a going concern. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one lining up eagerly for a real DVD set...

[​IMG]

MLutthans and MisterNines like this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

From Wikipedia:
    <<The office and bar/nightclub sets of 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye were on the same WB soundstage, intertwined to save space, with shared room walls and some doors actually going between the sets (not obvious to viewers).>>

Jack Lord and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.