77 Sunset Strip/ Hawaiian Eye/ Surfside Six/ Bourbon Street Beat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Makes sense. I would even say scripts were shared as well, albeit with some obligatory tweaking.

fr in sc and MLutthans like this.
  2. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

Does anyone remember Adventures In Paradise, another show from that period.? A young sea captain (Gavin ?) sailed his yacht around south sea islands solving problems.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Including the unseen-for-decades classic "Reserved For Mr Bailey" (story by Batman co-creator Bill Finger) in which Efrem Zimbalist is the only actor seen onscreen.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

So, I assume that you recorded the whole series from the run and now have it in good quality.

5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I bought a bootleg set of first season 77 Sunset Strip dvd's on ebay. For me, it wasn't as good as I remembered it. In fact, I couldn't get through them.

6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

You assume incorrectly. I don't have a DVR, and I'm not currently set up for OTA recording via other means.

The MeTV airings are still a bit problematic, as despite being in very good quality they were either cropped on the top and bottom or panned-and-scanned to fill more of the 16:9 screen. The cropping usually wasn't extremely obtrusive, as the viewable image was still slightly pillarboxed instead of being zoomed to fill the entire screen, but it was nevertheless cropped from the appropriate 4:3.

7. James Slattery

The show is a little bit before my time. Honestly, whenever I've tried to watch it, it puts me to sleep. Of the cookie cutter WB detective shows, the only one I've found that could hold my interest is Hawaiian Eye, mainly for the presence of Connie Stevens. Aside from her beauty, she was also given a lot more to do than the other eye candy women in those shows.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Do you like Route 66, or the Fugitive ?

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I liked Route 66, but I wondered why the guys in that show get in a fistfight with someone or other just about every episode, I never got in a fistfight in my adult life.

10. alexpop

Black & White Tv series punchier show.:D

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Jack Warner with his contract players on the WB lot, 1961

[​IMG]

How many can you identify from the following close shots?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I do and have a DVD set of the entire series, though the quality is not great. I got in on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg, though the packaging is pretty nice. Any way it is about Adam Troy aboard a schooner Tiki III.

13. James Slattery

Fugitive is my favorite show. I really like the first couple of seasons of Route 66 with Maharis but I'm not crazy about the Corbett episodes. The fourth and final season was very weak I thought.

fr in sc and alexpop like this.
  14. James Slattery

Pretty sure you don't have the entire series as I've been told that the bootleg sets are missing 7 episodes, one of which I have but have never given out.

15. Raylinds

It was billed as the entire series, but I have no doubt that there are missing episodes.

16. Raylinds

I happened across a show from the 50s (probably on MeTV) that I was not familiar with called The Lone Wolf that was pretty entertaining. Has anybody seen it? I also have the DVD sets of Peter Gunn and Mr. Lucky.

17. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Jack Warner got it right in the early sixties,these shows were very cool...too bad he was so cheap.

18. James Slattery

Warner got into contract disputes with almost all of their stars. Garner left Maverick after 3 seasons, others would walk out and come back.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

77 Sunset Strip. Now that was some hard-boiled cardigan.

20. James Slattery

Even worse than the Warner shows were the copycats of them, taking the same formula (2 parts private eye, 1 part cutie pie). Those are more forgotten today. The Islanders, Follow The Sun, The Aquanauts (Warner detective show crossed with Sea Hunt), title changed mid-season to Malibu Run,

21. alexpop

I liked It Takes A Thief.

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Roger Smith-AKA-Jeff Spencer[77 Sunset Strip]was a great writer and wrote many episodes of that series,my favorite was-The Silent Caper which might be the best TV detective episode ever!!

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Oct 12 1960. Vice-President Richard Nixon films some Presidential campaign spots at the Warner Bros studio. Before leaving he meets some stars of Warners TV shows. Louis Quinn (apparently roused out of the makeup chair) from 77 Sunset Strip, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes (77SS), Peter Breck (I think) in beret and striped shirt, Efrem Zimbalist Jr (77SS), and Roger Moore (Maverick).

[​IMG]

I don't know why Breck (?) and Zimbalist are dressed the way they are -- the former looks like a French crooner, while the latter seems to be a WWI aviator.

24. James Slattery

Scripts on the Warner shows were interchangeable. One week a story would be on one of the detective shows and then a few weeks later it would turn up on a Maverick or a Cheyenne and then some time later on one of the other detective shows.

25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Isn't it ironic that out of all the young stars of those shows, only two went on to have long careers in movies and later TV-James Garner-Roger Moore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.