77 Sunset Strip/ Hawaiian Eye/ Surfside Six/ Bourbon Street Beat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Those were all cool shows.

I was in Honolulu with my folks in 1968 or '69 and we just happened to be on a second floor walkway and looked down and saw James MacArthur and Kam Fong being filmed for a scene in Hawaii 5-0. I had never seen TV filmed before and quickly learned that watching it happen was a bit like watching pain dry.

77 Sunset Strip was another favorite and had one of those theme songs that you could never forget- click, click!

2. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

If you just are counting movies, then maybe. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. is I believe the only person to star in two separate series that produced over 200 episodes. Robert Conrad went on to star in 9 more TV series after HE. Connie Stevens worked in TV and movies for decades afterwards.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Michael Landon

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I am sorry we were not more entertaining, but work is just that.

Brian Lux likes this.
  5. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

LOL, yeah, I was just a restless teenager then. Today, knowing more about how acting works and what's involved, I would be much more fascinated!

Jack Lord likes this.
  6. James Slattery

I never worked on episodic television, but the few shows that I did work on that were recorded and not live could be interminable. Live is so much better. You don't have endless re-dos.

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

Interesting observation Efrem Zimbalist Jr. did go on to have a pretty good run on The FBI for about ten years until '74, but not much after that.

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I forgot about that and I used to love the Wild, Wild West. Not to mention those battery commercials that Conrad did.

9. Troy Donahue from SurfSide 6 had a bit part in The Godfather II and was immortalized in song in Grease, which is something.

10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's happening. German label Pidax (who have managed to get their hands on rare german dubs of US shows like "Leave It To Beaver" and "Car 54, Where Are You?") are going to release 17 episodes of "77 Sunset Strip" in Germany and Austria, due March 12! :goodie::goodie::goodie:

77 Sunset Strip - Volume 1

11. James Slattery

According to the listing, there's only a German soundtrack. No English.

12. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

And probably PAL Speedup, too, which will result in episodes running in 48 instead of 50 minutes.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I caught a bit of Hawaiian Eye "Secret of the Second Door" today on the Decades channel, and I am 99% sure that the last 10 minutes or so featured the re-use of a sign from the WB film, Giant, shown below (from the film).
    Screenshot_20220409-185431~2.png

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

images (19).jpeg
    Good to see the RCA Carfone in use in Tracy Steele's car. :cool:

15. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Just like in the thirties with movie stars Bette Davis, Cagney and de Havilland. It was in Jack Warner's DNA.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.