78 RPM for very expensive tables - DDS/PLL?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by milwaukeeshellac, Jun 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not all shellac era grooves are the same size, and speeds varied even among the same label. Major considerations when playing old historic recordings. Besides, until British Decca/London introduced FFRR after WW II, the shellac recording did well to have more than 8-10 Khz of audio cut in the groove. Then FFRR gave us 14,000-15,000 hertz on shellac and did it consistently. And note, I like SOTA turntables greatly. They perform superbly and are superbly built. Named State Of The Art, and every bit that. But variable speed on pre-1932 shellac is an important feature. This was the time frame when 78 became standard speed for records. Flexible is a good thing when dealing with historic audio.

2. milwaukeeshellac

milwaukeeshellac Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I have all the experts in the room, can anyone confirm that the Jelco SA-750L 12" tone arm plays nice with Shure M75 / Shure M44 / Shure V15 VX cartridges and Expert stylii? The cantilevers are pretty stiff so that they can accurately track 78s at 3-4 grams. Everything I've read indicates it's OK and probably the most cost-effective arm for a reference-level 78 transfer rig that can also accomodate 16" records. Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.