$80,000 record ?!?!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Justin, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin

Justin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know the story behind this $80,000 record?

Based on past sales, looks like a couple people accidentally added a couple zeros.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Look at the bid history. Somebody bid 81,000 to see what the "winner's" high bid was, then retracted it. Lots of probe bids. I think legit bidders decided the ever-winning high bid was a shill and decoded to screw with them.

3. At first I thought this might be ERC’s new pricing scheme ;). Isn’t Rick Saucedo a somewhat well-known Elvis Presley impersonator?

4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yes, from everything that I have ever heard about him, which is one of the factors that makes his lone foray into the world of the 1970s US "psych rock" private-press underground all the more inexplicable and fascinating.

This album is actually highly-regarded (and lauded) by many people into said private-press psych rock underground and, on paper, this one should really be right up my alley, too, but the appeal of this album has always eluded me. I return to it every so often, thinking that "maybe this time" it will strike the right chord with me but it never really does (though maybe some day it will... I respect and am still fascinated by this album, which is why I still keep a copy of the Guerssen label double LP edition in my archive.) It's not a bad album in the least, but it just doesn't register with me as do other albums of the same ilk.

Note: I just read a great review/commentary about this album on Discogs and the author makes the claim, which I don't doubt, that (basically) one needs to listen to the actual original pressing of this album to really get the true experience of this album (which they praise to the stars.) They state that all reissues of this album have compromised mixes or terrible masterings (from abominable sources) that strip the magic away from the experience. I can believe it, so I'll have to give a very good listen to the best vinyl rip of the original pressing that I can find.

5. Many years ago (1990’s) a friend of mine was in Rick’s Elvis band so I met Rick a couple of times. Had I known about this LP back then I would have asked him about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.