80 Min CDR Issue!! Please Help...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

FYI: I have been working in my Uncle's recording studio for almost 18 years. I mix and master. Not a tech guy.

I think you misunderstood. I was referring to the ADC in it. We have clients that often want a quick copy of a analog quarter inch master first. The Pro CD burner is the quickest. Normally we would use our custom made Burr-Brown ADC but they are on 4 banks of 16 and are usually hooked up to the Otari MX-80s or the Studer 800s. The ADC is so good in the HB burner that we don't have to bypass it's internal ADC..

And I beg to differ. Many cheap burners are bad
    15 years ago anyway. The proof is in the pudding.. We would get loads of demos to master on home burnt CD-R. Even at slow speeds many of them sounded awful. When reburned on a better burner / cd recorder the harshness is gone. But as you say, errors are the problems..

Heads up: The days of DDD are pretty much gone.. Most of the remastered CDs you listen to have gone through 3 and sometimes up to 7 conversions before it gets to the MASTER.

The SCMS copy protection system on stand alone professional burners can be put on the disk or left off. Or just turned off if you get a burnt disk with the SCMS.

The copy/ paste info was very helpful but it is rather technical. But you did try and ahhh break it down for me and everyone else.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. john morris

What? News to me. But NCH has malware?
    On the free demos too?

3. john morris

Just saying hello.

Request: Please stop telling me what I should know for my job. (Ex-audio engineer)

There are some basics that every audio engineer is supposed to know:

0 VU in 16 bit is - 12 dbfs RMS
    0 VU in 24 bit is - 18 dbfs RMS
    0 VU in 24 bit is - 20 dbfs RMS in Europe.

Many well known pro engineers don't know this.
    These are the engineers who slam the signal to 0 dbfs during recording going way above the ADC analog sweet spot.

PCM distortion does not sound good.. And some well known engineers are purposely recording their drums well over 0dbfs. They want the PCM distortion.

Here is stuff some you guys might want to remind them about that they should know.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. john morris

WOW!! How well do they play in other CD players, disk walkmans, optical drives, Blu-ray players?

5. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

They played fine on most gear. I had Sony mega (200-300) CD changers and they worked flawless. In a few players, the last track or two could be a problem.

Lite-On burners and Nero seemed to be the go-to combo for overburning. No problem burning and playing Pink Floyd The Wall (81:xx),on a single 80-minute CD-R. I used this combo on the 99-minute CD-RS.

pinktree1 likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I recently returned to occasionally burning CD-Rs for my car stereo. Although my car stereo does support both Bluetooth and USB thumb drives, I had the following issues with each:
    • USB Thumb Drive
      • Some of the tracks I put on the drive either are either skipped, or lock up the player. The files are compatible with my player but some will play and some will not.
      • The playing order for the tracks seems to be random, and not because the car stereo is set to random.
    • Bluetooth
      • I've had issues with reliability, where sometimes my player will not pair with the stereo, or a successful pairing later fails.
      • It significantly reduces the battery life of my player (a Sony NWZ-A17).
      • It is a bit awkward to use my player while I driving.
    I also tried using the Aux input with my player but I still found it awkward to use my player while driving.

The reason I returned to burning CD-Rs for my car stereo is that they play reliability (all of the tracks play), and in the correct order. Plus, it is so simple, just pop the CD-R in and it plays. Also, CD-Rs are very cheap now and I can burn a CD-R in only a few minutes.

john morris and JimmyCool like this.
  7. john morris

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately for every person that has no problem playing a 85 or 90 minute CD someone does. If we sell 10 000 units of Brenda Lee: Live at the Forum, 1969 and just 0.5 % of those disks have problems playing that is 50 disks too many. And that is fine I guess unless you are the poor sod that had a disk where the last 3 tracks don't play. Weather they are burned or on demand or made in a plant the problem exists.

For me at home I always keep my time down to 79:52.

It is wierd. Some double albums come to over 80 minutes. So should we split the disk into two parts? 41:00 and 40:42 over less than 2 minutes? I personally hate it and would rather put one long 81:42 CD. Cheaper too.

8. I have the European CD soundtrack for the movie Gattaca, the European CD has a digital glitch on track 1 on all three copies I got (in Spain once a CD is removed from its factory plastic sealing you won't get your money back but a new copy instead), so I got the Japanese EMI/Toshiba CD that has no digital glitch. That same year (1997) I got the US CD for the Gattaca soundtrack as a present, I didn't say anything about already owning it. I turned the three CD's upside down on their jewel cases to check how they looked, I was surprised to see that despite all three editions lasting exactely the same, a sign the the three different plants got the same digital source, the Japanese Toshiba pressed CD took more space on the CD for the same material than the other two, this was clearly visible. The US and European pressings took more or less the same space on the CD. Needless to say that except for the European glitch all three CD's sounded the same. But, with the same timing, taking more space on the CD to record the data makes it more inmune to reading errors or even be less jittery?
    I also compared the European CD's for Van Halen's 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (Balance is not good as the Japanese CD has a bonus track) to the 2005 Forever Young Series Japanese CD's and Japanese CD's take more space on the CD for albums that last the same. Beware, the 2005 Japan Forever Young Series of these albums (including Balance) are secret remasters (I was the first one to state this here back in early 2006, that was under a different nickname), so no exactely the same masterings but their time may differ by a couple of seconds or so.

john morris likes this.
  9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's a related issue that I previously mentioned with using a thumb drive: some tracks play and some don't. One of things I require is reliability, and for that reason I don't take my burned CDs to the limit. I'd rather split a long album (like an audio book) between two discs so that it reliably plays rather than trying to fit it on one disc that may..or may not...play all tracks.

john morris likes this.
  10. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

This is when I convert to .wav & start trimming

11. john morris

Oh no never! I would never cut that boring unnecessary percussion intro from Show Don't Tell.

12. john morris

I love USB Flash drives but they tend to be a mixed blessing.

I have put many of my old 4/8 track cassette/mindisk new stereo mixdowns on 128 GB USB Flash Drives (116 GB really). They don't play in order either. The only way to get the songs or video files to play in the order you want is to alter the dates on the Flash drives. Audio and video files will have year, month, dand even time. For example: my new mono remix of "Strawberry Fileds Forever" is at 10-12-2019, 0508, Steve's new stereo remix of "Good Morning" is at 10-12-2019, 1445 and the Salavation Army's Special Club remix of "All You Need Is Love" is at 03-09-2019, 2300. Then the order the Flash Drive would play the three songs in would be

"All You Need Is Love" - Mar 09/2019, 2300.
    "Strawberry Fields Forever" -Oct 12/2019, 0508 "Good Morning" - Oct 12/2019, 1445.
    I believe it is played in the order they were transfered in. Or recorded in. So for example if you wanted "Good Morning" to play first you would just alter the date from 10/12/2019, 1445 hours to 03/08/2019, 0508. Simple as Einstein's Grand Unification Theory. Well it worked for me with video files that were on a Flash drive.

I copied all my Region 2 PAL DVDs to my computer (In real time via VLC Player) and then transferred them to USB Flash drives. Tenko took 28 hours in total. It is great. I don't need a computer or a region free player to play the disks. My USB port in my Blu-ray player does the trick. 25 (52 minute) episodes of Tenko on one 64 GB USB Flash drive. No disk to change. Nice.
    They do occasionally pixel. But that only happens like 8 times in 22 hours of video files.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  13. If you want your audio files to play in the order you want first you need to give then a number, something like 01-More Than A Feeling, 02-Peace Of Mind, 03-Foreplay/Long Time... And also,if you have dBPoweramp (I know there are another programs that do this but I only talk about the one I know) you have the option to edit the metadata of the audio files like includding Artist, name of the track, number of the track, name of the album, release year of the album, music genre, album artwork... You just put the cursor on the audio file, left click on the mouse and the option "Edit ID Tags" shows up, go to it, left click to select this option to add or edit metadata pops up, just fill in the different fields with the information and then click enter, audio file with metadata added/edited. Keep in mind that give a number to audio files won't work for all player, some read the matadata, Blu ray players use to read metadata.

Now on video files created from DVD's, I'd suggest you to use DVDFab. It has an option to remux either DVD's or BD's into an mkv files that is now universal. It doesn't do any compression,it just changes the container of the DVD/BD video onto mkv, that's remuxing. I no longer own a multiregion BD/DVD player, it took me less than three hours to remux to mkv the 3 DVD's for the Logan's Run TV series. And the program interface shows you chapter numbers on the case of TV series DVD's/BD's, you can select audio tracks and subtitles.

14. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

That's how I got ITCOTCK & Red on a disc....sorry Moonchild

15. john morris

Blasphemy! Heresy! You will pay for your crimes member. LOL Ohhh no!! You just cut the opening acoustic part right? Not the whole song? Please tell me you didn't cut the whole song!

Although Saron Osborne cut the last 1:30 off of Iron Man. Or was it someone else? It was the first single disk version. Left "Changes" on but cut off the last 1:30 of "Iron Man." That is like cutting off the last minute of "Day In The Life" to put on Mr. Monnlight.

16. john morris

I guess it is different for different software but for video recordings made via VLC player that number thing doesn't work. It plays by the date. And with mp3 I couldn't always get into the meta data. Or when I went to change the data values it wouldn't work.

The MKV thing sounds really useful but my PC doesn't have an HDMI output. All it has is a analog VGA output. Because of the quality and length of my VGA cable all I can get from my PC is analog 1280 × 720. My Blu-ray players USB port will not play Mkv files. May sound silly to you. The reason I started using this method to play PAL DVD's is because I didn't have a choice. The region free player I purchased was eating my disks. My way may seem long but it allows me to uprez it on my Blu-ray player to 1080p instead of a analog 1280 × 720 which to me vastly inferior. Even my Mother could tell.

I hear about these free programs all the time. The reason I use VLC Player is because it was free and it actually worked.

If you know of a better program let me know. Unfortunately VLC Player uses the same codec to record the video that is used on the DVD. Perfect copy. 1×1 . But Boy does it take up a lot of space.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  17. Your ripped DVD videofiles can't take much space, a dual layer DVD is 8 Gigs. (or was it 8.5?) and they seldom use the full capacity of the disc.
    What BD player do you own that doesn't play mkv files? It has to be a very old one... The only problem you may have is that your DVD's are PAL so they are 50 Hz, either your BD player or your TV set, or both, may not play 50 Hz video.

18. All my digital music, either CD's, SACD's or Hi Res downloads end up on two SSD's, one for ripped CD's and a second one for all Hi Res.
    When I buy a new CD,I give it a full listen, I then rip it to FLAC with dBPoweramp using Accurate rip and goes to the SSD. I then put the CD (in its jewel case) in a Japanese style resealable plastic cover and shelved.

JimmyCool and john morris like this.
  19. john morris

Nope my Samnsung player is still being sold on the market. It is pretty new. It will play PAL 50 hz Blu-ray. And it will play 720 × 576 25 hz video off the USB port but not Region 2 PAL 720 × 576 25hz DVDs. Says that right in the manual. It may be another video codec I am thinking off. I am not home do I can't check the manual. But there was list of video codecs it didn't like.

Heads up: (Pshhh!) Don't have a Blu-ray burner.

25 (53 minute) episodes of Tenko in wonderful Euro 720 × 576, 25hz took up almost all of the 64 GB flash drive. And remember you don't get 64 GB in 64 GB Flash Drive. You get 57.7 GB. I think the 25 episodes came to 55 GB. I can add. There is no compression going on here.

And with Doctor Who PAL disks I want the audio commentary to. So like an idiot I would record the six episodes again but this time with the audio commentary on. Can't record the subtitles. I am sure there is a way but born in the 60's. I k how there are people here who can go into codes and screw with things. I could go in and screw with the code to but...It wouldn't work. :)

They are two video codecs the commercial HD Blu-Ray use. Are you telling me that one of the codecs is MKV. ***** here! Forgive my silly question but what is MKV?

Head up: I have a $80 Blu-ray player not a Studer HD7000 at $4600. O.k....Studer doesn't make Blu-ray players but you know what I mean.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  20. john morris

A man with class ladies and gentlemen!

Kiko1974 likes this.
  21. MKV is not a codec, it's a container. Just like a can can contain from Coca-Cola (I'm a Pepsi guy) to meatballs, an MKV container can "contain" from AVC video at 1080p, to MPEG-2 PAL or NTSC or HEVC at 4K with HDR, and the same with audio codecs. It's up to your player what can play from an MKV container/file, for example, most BD/UHD BD won't play Dolby TrueHD from an MKV file. It's not because they can't, it's because they put restrictions to what can be played from an MKV files as MKV is usually asociated with piracy.

With DVDFab you won't have to copy the episodes twice because audio tracks and comentary track, it lets you choose from the original DVD/BD what audio tracks you want to put into the MKV file as it can have more than one audio track, and the same with subtitles, you can include the subtitles of the episode audio track and the subtitles for the comentary if this is available, as with audio, you can add more than one subtitle track onto an MKV video file.
    The other codecs BD can use is 1990's MPEG-2 that is what DVD uses but at a lower resolution (I have Paramount's US BD for Aeon Flux that's encoded on MPEG-2 on a single layer BD-25 with lossy Dolby Digital and DTS tracks), and also VC-1 that was mostly used on the first years of the format by Warner Bros. and Universal mainly.

john morris and JimmyCool like this.
  22. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I burn the last track analog, may not get it all, but...….

23. john morris

Question. 700 mb is the CD blank limit. Why do say 79:59 is the max if it is not?
    We are told by pressing plants not to give them anything longer than 79:59. Although MFSL pulled it off with Quadrophenia.

24. john morris

I can't speak for their crappy video editing software but the NCH Wave Pad Editor takes a few seconds to install and it doesn't effect my computer at all. NCH has the quickest and easiest installation of software I have ever seen. The exception being VLC Player.

25. john morris

Are you suggesting I use common sense and logic? Good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.