80s artists willing to re-record their hits for a quick buck

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I agree 100% with you about those recordings. No, I´m glad they are not the only versions available - I still love and prefer the originals. But Roy Orbison put all his soul into the remakes, so they are still great, and the CD is a treasured possession, nonetheless.

DTK, zphage, MikeInFla and 1 other person like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Peter Noone re-recorded his Herman's Hermits hit 'I'm Into Something Good' for the 1988 "Naked Gun" movie soundtrack. Leslie Nielsen also starred in the music video with Peter.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Round and Round" by someone named Ratt Attack???

Color me very curious. Is this some sort of fourth version of Ratt fronted by someone who played bass with them for five minutes? Or did they actually get some soundalike band to record it and give them this terrible name?

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I started laughing and couldn't get past Disc 1, #1 Loverboy - Turn Me "Lose"

What a crock.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You missed the Debbie Gibson hit "Folish Heart"! :D

Lownote30 and JamesD1957 like this.
  6. melstapler

70s/80s country star Gene Watson re-recorded a number of his biggest hits and fan favorites on "Best Of The Best," a 1CD on his own label which delivers quality production values, a terrific lineup of musicians and perfect vocal performances from Gene. I consider this collection to be an album in itself, because the quality is astounding and his voice sound incredible after all these years. Gene licenses these recordings and sells this CD at his merch table for about $20. This CD is also distributed and can be purchased through most music retailers.

'Love In The Hot Afternoon'

zphage likes this.
  7. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

:laughup:

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Surprised it hasn’t been more common place.

In Jazz and Country it’s pretty much standard operating.

9. melstapler

The Romantics were rock stars during the 1980s, but didn't re-record their hits until more recently which is very surprising. Commercials on TV and radio utilized the original studio version of 'What I Like About You.'

'What I Like About You' re-recording by The Romantics

10. melstapler

'One In A Million' re-recording by The Romantics

11. melstapler

'Talking In Your Sleep' re-recording by The Romantics

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

To their credit, the Stryper remakes were solid efforts, and made for a very listenable and enjoyable product...unlike many of these similar-minded projects.
    See: Mr. Blue Sky by Jeff Lynne's ELO...awful...

LivingForever and MielR like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, Gusto signed a deal for the Musicor catalog, so Gene Pitney and George Jones on Gusto weren't re-records.

melstapler and phillyal1 like this.
  14. kwadguy

It came with a box of other stuff. I didn't specifically buy this...

15. Jarleboy

I have two compilations of remakes by Skeeter Davis and Bobby Bare. I love the original hits, but these are dreadful. This is the Skeeter Davis disc: [​IMG]
    I think this is the Bobby Bare compilation:
    [​IMG]

Skeeter Davis is sadly no longer with us, and her voice was gone by the time she recorded these. Bobby Bare always had that lazy drawl, but it was even more pronounced on these recordings. And the backing is pure plastic on both, IIRC.

Cliff Richard - you knew this was coming, didn´t you? - has routinely re-recorded many of his hits and misses on various projects - as B-sides or album cuts, but they are always radically rearranged to sound different. They are not at all interchangeable with the originals. I like many of them, including this remake of his 1959 No. 1 UK hit "TRAVELLIN´ LIGHT". A simple, melancholy country ballad reimagined as chamber music!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    melstapler likes this.
  16. Jarleboy

And the B-side of that 1959 hit single was the dynamic... eh... "DYNAMITE", a 50s rock´n´roll song. In 1980 - discofied version. Not saying it´s great, but different.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  17. Jarleboy

At least he tried something different. The same can´t be said for his 2009 album with The Shadows - "REUNITED". Same songs, same arrangements - just an older voice, and the songs having been recorded in different studios all over the world.

18. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Gordon Ligthfoot rerecorded his songs for Gord's Gold, Vol. 2 in 1988 and it was a Gold record.

melstapler and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Remakes? Surely it would have cost more money to get these artists into a studio again than it would have been to have paid for the licensing. Did Starship and Asia really reform just so that this could go in the bargain bin at Walmart? Why wasn't Starship handing out licensing for free at that point? And what would the dancefloor look like with Little River Band going up against Bow Wow Wow and power ballads? Too many questions.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  20. Jarleboy

John Denver also re-recorded his RCA hits for Windstar releases. These are two of them I remember. I prefer the originals, but they are not bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (This was also released as a multichannel SACD... which I have.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at those credits!

melstapler and fretter like this.
  21. kwadguy

The remakes on the first Gord's Gold are quite good.

The less said about Gord's Gold 2, the better.

DrAftershave and Jarleboy like this.
  22. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

They obviously didn't waste any money on proof reading the track list and then passed the savings on to you.

kwadguy likes this.
  23. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I don't hear much difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Greatest-Hits-Rat-Attack/dp/B0009NZ364

fretter likes this.
  24. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Both Gang of 4 and Fischer-Z did re-recordings compilations, and both were pretty damn good.

mr. suit likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ah - makes sense! :wave:

You gotta admit it was a perplexing development. "No one in their right mind would buy this crap - but I did!" :D

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.