80s artists willing to re-record their hits for a quick buck

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I know that feeling... :sigh:

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There were remakes done during the John Payne era, though. Given the 2010 copyright date on this, I'd say the odds are decent that it's the 1997 remake with Payne and whomever else.

Tons of low-budget official bootlegs of Wetton and Payne era shows abound that were probably easy to license, so hard to say where "Don't Cry" comes from.

zen likes this.
  3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

even an artist as big as Prince (although not at the year we're talking about) rerecorded one of his biggest hits. At one time he was planning to rerecord all of his music to own the masters, thankfully this did not happen (at least if it did happen, it didn't get released). 1999 The New Master is horrible imo. But it exists… :)

I can't even find a YouTube upload of the main version, but here's one of the remixes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zJtiOlBSI

zphage likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Ha, yeah. I remember seeing it in the store, back when there were FYE stores, and thinking "who would POSSIBLY buy this?!" And then, eventually, one wound up in my hands. But it's in a "garbage CD" box in storage :)

5. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

SiriusXM’s Prime Country plays a number of re-records: Lee Greenwood, Kenny Rogers, Mickey Gilley, Eddy Raven, etc. I don’t know if they purposefully play them instead of the originals; they might not even know they are re-records. It’s really disappointing either way.

6. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

I bought an ELO greatest hits cd a few years back not realizing that Jeff Lynne had re-recorded all the songs & played all the instruments himself. I got about half way through the cd before I pushed stop & asked myself “Why Jeff??” These new versions are clearly inferior to the originals so it must have been all about the money.

7. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Sting did this recently - although I actually quite like the versions on here so I'll give him a pass.
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Rockstar2112

Didn’t Ozzy & Sharon remove Bob Daisley & Lee Kerslake from Blizzard & Diary reissues?? A real travesty. Shameful!!

TaumpyTears likes this.
  9. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Sadly, his official press at the time was that (and I'm paraphrasing) he now had the technological capability to make these great songs sound the way they originally sounded in his head...sure, Jeff...

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have yet to find any that I like better or the same...

11. Jeremy Holiday

Jeremy Holiday Forum Resident

The two Hall & Oates tracks on this comp aren't re-records. They are demos from the period before their first album.

TaumpyTears and phillyal1 like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and the ego...I guess he was to cheap to have a full band.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that for real or are you parodying George Lucas?

14. Rockstar2112

I just found the cd, it is called Mr Blue Sky, The Very Best Of The Electric Light Orchestra. A very misleading title if you ask me. I should have read the back more closely as it states “All Songs Written, Produced And Performed By Jeff Lynne”

TaumpyTears and MielR like this.
  15. Rockstar2112

MielR and Chazzbo13 like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I always thought bands like Squeeze and Def Leppard re-recorded their songs just to make A buck!!
    They weren't seeing buck one from their original recordings.

17. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I have no interest in hearing re-recording of my favourite songs by the artists. I want to hear the originals and that is it.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  18. Rockstar2112

I agree with you in principle, but I don’t mind listening to a remake on occasion, but I don’t think I have ever preferred a remake over an original. I like the remake of Money on PF’s Collection Of Great Dance Songs for example. The differences are minor, but both versions are enjoyable to me.

Ryan Lux and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I wish...

MielR likes this.
  20. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

KISS recorded a greatest hits cd of 70s and 80s songs. It was available as a Japanese import and as a bonus disc with Sonic Boom.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Simply Irresistible!

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very interesting. This title appears to be the same compilation Bobby released under his own label (with different artwork) and was selling at his merch table for many years. I can't remember, but those recordings were made either in the late 80s or early 90s. Hopefully Bobby made some decent money by licensing these inferior re-records to labels around the world.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

The vocals are OK in a not-John-Wetton sort of way, the guitars are fine, the drums are weak, and the entire thing seems kind of kludgily slammed together.

24. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I got a version of this at a thrift last summer and spun it on the way home..it is pretty bad.

Jarleboy and melstapler like this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

John Payne reminds me of that old SNL skit...
    [​IMG] ;)

phillyal1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.