80’s EQ and Yamaha AS-501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Poolshark, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please excuse my ignorance but I have the chance to grab a used Yamaha GE-60 EQ cheaply and wondered if I could use it with my Yamaha AS-501. My sources currently are a tuner, CD player and a Sonos connect. 95% of my listening is the Sonos with FLAC files. I am intrigued with the prospect top test or mess around with a an EQ but am baffled if its even possible in my setup. Any thoughts? The Sonos is currently connected by optical to the amp but can be switched to RCA if needed. Scratching my head on this one.

As an aside this is purely for testing and toying and well to have something else in the rack that is cool and cheap....have to be honest.
    Thanks

2. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think so unfortunately. There's no tape loop (what you need to have all sources affected by the EQ) on the Yamaha A-s501. You could have one source going into the EQ via analog RCA and out into the amp and use it that way, though obviously not ideal as you would likely want to switch between all your sources.

Edit: though if you just listen to Sonos mainly, it may suffice.

Poolshark likes this.
  3. Poolshark

I think you are right but I figured I could not use it on all inputs. This is my pure 2 channel system and plan to rip all my cd’s to FLAC anyways. I would juts have to change the optical out form the Sonos to RCA into the EQ.

4. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Directly, i.e. by inserting an EQ into the amp’s internal monitoring circuit, no, you can’t, because the amp has no internal monitoring circuit.

“Indirectly”, the task is feasible, but rather complicated. The circuit is below:
    EQ_to_amp_WO_monitor_corr.jpg

Attention: a direct connection of a TT with a magnetic cartridge, not equipped with a built in phono stage to an equalizer is impossible because its signal will be totally jammed by the EQ’s noise.

[​IMG]

Poolshark likes this.
  5. Poolshark

Thanks for the replies. I purchased the used EQ and now waiting for it to arrive. Plan to use in with the Sonos connect. RCA into the EQ out to the line input when I want to use the EQ. When I don’t want to I will keep the optical going to the Yamaha since I read and tested that both function at the same time.

6. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

A unit equipped with exceptionally universal, for the market of our days, functions.

And the “30 Hz” slider allowing to manage the “25…45 Hz” band, the rolled-off band in practically all market LSs models. With all precautions, sure, against strong “boosts” of “extra-lows”, “8000 Hz” and “extra-highs” at high level listening power output to avoid LSs and/or even hearing damage!
    And all other “sources”? After what I exposed in my previous post, I don’t understand yours. Neither reaction nor answer. Haven’t received it or no interest?

7. Poolshark

I appreciate your detailed response and I probably will try it. When it arrives my thoughts are to try the simple route with 1 source and toy with it so to speak. Fairly new to audio and not sure if the EQ will add to my listening pleasure. Again thank u

8. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have an AS-500 and I'm pretty sure it does have a tape loop so the 501 should as well. Its the line 2 inputs I believe. Check in your owner's manual but pretty sure there is a tape loop. I am using mine with a RCA Y adapter setup to get a mono setting for mono records.

9. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Will you please EXPLAIN in detail how you make it really function? It CAN do, but “indirectly”, NOT as completely equivalent real “tape loop” of an integrated.
    And have you yourself checked at least a photo of the front panel of the “A-S501”? They have decisively different commutation circuits with “A-S500”!

10. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I had a GE-60 back in the day. Very nice EQ.

Poolshark likes this.
  11. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I'm not an expert on this subject I just know that it works for me with the mono rca trick in the line 2 input which allows the rec out dial to be on whatever input I select and send that signal through line 2 as mono. I have no idea if this would allow the OP to connect an EQ to his amp but he can at least try. The AS 501 appears to have the same function. Maybe it isn't a true "tape loop" I don't know but it is a line in and Rec out anyway. Your reply to my post comes off almost as a bit rude or aggravated maybe? I'm only trying to help the guy as best I know. Relax and if I am wrong about the amps functions, apologies.

Poolshark likes this.
  12. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

He can. Following the diagram I posted above.
    Well, can you, while using this mode of action (the only applicable to an equalizer in this amp) (no matter mono or stereo), select whatever input (“source”) connected to your “AS-500” by means of its Remote control?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.