80's UK & US Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

That was Manilows only UK top 10 entry. I have an Irish pressing of it.

Finally got the parent album on CD earlier this year.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I got the 'Barry' CD finally this year. I've been after it forever.

3. Bobby Morrow

He went to work at Q after. He did the 'Who the hell does.... think they are' bit at the beginning of the mag. That was right up his street.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Q was much more his style - highbrow tat.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, "Centipede" showed that Michael Jackson was fallible in that post-Thriller period. His golden glow wasn't enough to make it a hit for his sister. Peaked at No. 24 on the Hot 100 in January 1985 and didn't even chart in the UK. It did peak at No. 4 in NZ though... I'm sure that was a relief for Michael and Rebbie. :p I liked the song then, but admittedly I was 11, and songs about centipedes seemed cool.

Alan1074 likes this.
  6. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The Smash Hits reviews could be hilarious and/or bizarre. I think I remember reading that in 1989. Nerd confession: I used to write 'reviews' or track by track summaries of albums I owned too, in the late 80s. It was my childhood goal to be a Smash Hits reviewer. :o

ippudo and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Q was pretty good in the 80's. I used to like their comprehensive album reviews. I still have a lot of those issues.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I don't think they took much seriously at Smash Hits. Especially the album reviews. I always held a grudge as I don't recall them ever reviewing any of Olivia's records. I could be wrong, but I can't remember any. Even the big ones like Xanadu and Physical...

Jarleboy and Thom like this.
  9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I wish I had kept my Aussie Smash Hits magazines (as I keep saying!)... perhaps they had more Olivia articles/reviews than the UK edition did. They must at least have reviewed and/or written about Soul Kiss (particularly as the album and song did quite well on the Australian charts).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Post #96: meh

Post #118:

Back on the Chain Gang
    Take a Chance With Me
    Glittering Prize

I noticed one good tune on each by Kid Creole and the Coconuts. Not really my style of music, but good tunes nonetheless.

11. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Kid Creole's Stool Pigeon is a mini-classic. The 7" mix is still unavailable on CD.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Absolutely brilliant single, loved their performance on TOTP.

13. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

UK singles chart WE 5/8/87.

greelywinger and Thom like this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Wow, the first ever hits by Wet Wet Wet and Rick Astley both debut on the chart. :eek: This chart represents a piece of pop history. ;)

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. John54

John54 Senior Member

Post #138: I don't recognize most of them; True Faith and It's a Sin stand out. I Wanna Dance With Somebody is catchy and I don't even dislike Never Gonna Give You Up ... probably heard Sugar Mice somewhere along the way, Marillion was a pretty good band.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I love the 80's but 1987 was a pretty week year in terms of chart hits

A few good bands such as A-Ha,Echo and New Order

Wishing Well is cool

And who doesn't love Star Trekkin' !

OptimisticGoat and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

And the lead single from Bad enters at 'only' #5. It would climb to the top, though.

mianfei likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Had Fish left Marillion at this point? Something tells me this was the first album without him, though I could be wrong...

19. Bobby Morrow

I thought 1987 was a great albums year. Faith. Bad. Tango In The Night. Hysteria. Actually... I agree this singles chart isn't the finest ever, though...

DesertHermit likes this.
  20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Albums wise it was good - Smiths,New Order,GM,Depeche Mode,The Church etc all released great albums

The Pet Shop Boys single is great. I like Bananarama but not too fond of their SAW stuff - ok but not as good as the early 80's songs like Shy Boy

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Looks like we have very different tastes. Aside from Faith, I haven't heard one of those albums.:D

22. Bobby Morrow

Has @DesertHermit seen this thread? I seem to recall he liked chart chatter.:)

DesertHermit and Thom like this.
  23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think because of it's lack of a video (and the fact that it was a ballad), it was quite a 'low key' release (relatively speaking... it was still new Michael Jackson and I'm sure it was on the radio a lot). It didn't have all the hype and hoopla "Black Or White" would have in 1991, or even "Bad" (the song) had two months later, when its video (directed by Martin Scorsese) premiered.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

And it had that terrible spoken intro. That must have put a few people off.:D

Jarleboy and Thom like this.
  25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Perhaps you need a chart that has Pat Benatar at the top to entice him in. :)

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.