91st Academy Awards (2019)-This is going to be the best Oscars ever!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

A rule like that would probably have disqualified tons of now-classic foreign and independent films across the decades.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And it should have one Best Picture, too. “Bohemian Rhapsody”?!! Hardly.

George Blair likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think any rule change would be there to address Best Picture, as that seems to be where most of the controversy resides.

I don't think Chris's requirement is onerous, though. It shouldn't be hard for even foreign and independent films to play in at least one screen in the top 12 US markets - I'm betting they do already...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Think it's more a reality of the economic market place of cinematic tastes. Of course there are exceptions with films and cities......

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

But a rule like this would make sure that a lot of films that could would be seen by a lot more people. The bogus thing about Roma was the Netflix actually rented out the theaters where it showed, so they didn't have to actually report numbers.

And of course there's the classic Steinberg New Yorker cover, that only New York and maybe California count:

[​IMG]

WLL likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

I disagree that there's only interest in some of these films in New York and Los Angeles. I'm not sure that's what exactly what you meant to say, but there's plenty of interest in other cities.

7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Anna Kendrick's Unbalanced Nipples were nominated for Up In The Air.

8. Chris DeVoe

Come on, I've never seen a perfectly symmetrical pair that wasn't the result of the surgeon's knife.

George Blair likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

She reminds me of this guy I knew with a cock-eye.

10. I’m not saying just the left and right coasts at all.

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I saw Roma, because like over a hundred million other people, I subscribe to Netflix. If it hadn’t been on Netflix, there is no way it would have played in a theatre near me.

audiomixer likes this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Right. But, in smaller cities across the country, there are no theatres that show movies like Roma. Can’t cut into Spider-Verse and Fantastic Beasts playing on two screens at once out of the eight available. I don’t understand the magical thinking, that, without Netflix streaming Roma, more people would have seen it the old-fashioned way. That’s just flat wrong.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I can't even find "Arctic" 40 miles from Los Angeles. If Roma would show up in some art house in Peoria, the same twenty seniors would probably trudge their way there and that would be that. Real movie money depends on kids.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  14. Chris DeVoe

It's playing here in Kansas City.

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Got it - sounds interesting!

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

She started as a child actress on Broadway
    [​IMG]

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This may have been already posted but this is a pretty interesting video about the poor editing of Bohemian Rhapsody that won the best editing oscar.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Wow, that is objectively terrible.

19. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I missed 'em again:cry:. One thing about them so always followed was the Death Thread - the " In memorial " break of people who died in the last year. Did they run one this year? And if so, did they include Stan Lee(a movie producer as well as a cameo star, remember)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.