95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MikaelaArsenault

3. MikaelaArsenault

4. MikaelaArsenault

5. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Because in the absence of any real drama (ahem...last year), the media needs a headline to get people to click into articles the next day.

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

MoonPool, jpelg, Johnny66 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

EEAAO has been on video since July, so chances are you can go the library route (although good luck checking it out anytime soon after last night! :) ) Pinocchio and RRR are currently exclusive to Netflix in the US, so a domestic physical media release is probably not in the cards for a while.

9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I took the movie to be a kind of fable, or folk tale, rather than a realistic drama. Gleason doesn't seem to bleed much when he cuts off his fingers, either, which I'm guessing was a deliberate creative choice. Condon was terrific.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It seems like it doesn’t even hurt him! He just keeps going on with his life like it’s a minor inconvenience

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

He walks a mile or so after cutting fingers so he is in good shape.

Colin Ferrell was good. They were all good the plot was weak.

12. But the same people make these films for theaters and television . Same directors, DPs , set designers, editors and actors. The only real difference in todays world is distribution.

Did Western Front play in a German theaters ?

aroney, MikaelaArsenault and dbacon like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Of those three, I would recommend RRR the highest. It's an incredibly fun movie, with absolutely ridiculous amounts of action.

Vickie and I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once, but just judging from the discussion on here, it's a very divisive movie. Pinocchio was beautiful and very moving, but I don't think that everybody would love it.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's the same pool of talent, granted, but if you're going to give an award to a movie, it should play in a movie theater.

Realistically, it's not too much to ask that, if you want to film to be eligible for this particular award, it has to meet a certain minimum standard. It's not like they have to create thousands of prints and ship them around the world, instead, they just make a digital distribution copy.

Pizza, MikaelaArsenault and MichaelH like this.
  15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, it was shown in selected theaters in Germany before it premiered on Netflix.

16. Then there ya go !!!

17. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I loved it. For anyone who hasn't seen it, Del Toro did not remake the Disney film, or make a straight adaptation of the novel. It's a new interpretation that takes a lot of liberties with Carlos Collodi's story, but the film is enchanting and rewarding. Del Toro touches on morality, fascism, abuse, and other weighty issues, but there's a light touch and a wicked sense of humor, as well (Ewen McGregor as the cricket is a riot). I wanted to sob at the end.

18. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Well I just put Everything everywhere all at once on my rent list from the library, but I'm number 68 so it'll take awhile I'm sure.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It did, though only in a few. But it's coming back to more theatres now, after its big win.

20. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I'm still upset that The Tragedy of Macbeth didn't play around here, but I'm still holding out hope it'll show up on DVD someday so I can either rent it or buy it.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I gotta say, Everything Everywhere All at Once is hands-down the most original movie idea I've seen in decades, if not ever. And yet I've run into a dozen friends of mine who say, "aaaaaa, I sat with it for 15 minutes and got bored and had to bail." Idiots! I told them, "at least sit until the movie gets to the IRS office and wait and see what happens. It's a total rollercoaster ride from then on."

There were some wonderful films covered in this year's Oscars, even if you're just into what we'd call "Populist Entertainment": Top Gun Maverick, Elvis, Avatar 2, and The Fabelmans are not a reach for most people to understand or appreciate. The rest are certainly more "indie/artistic."

The sheer drama of Ke Huy Quan's Oscar win and Jamie Lee Curtis' Oscar win were explosive and really emotional, and I was very glad for the writers and directors of Everything Everywhere, who went to the mat for one of the most unconventional and ambitious indie films I've ever seen.

Note that the ratings on the Oscar show went way up this year, which is a huge reversal over the past 4-5 years...

Oscar Viewership Sees 12% Increase In Viewership To 18.7 Million – Deadline

Dan C, brownie61, Juan Matus and 9 others like this.
  22. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Watched because the wife wanted to...

Real Wit:
    Kimmel's line about the power of editors.
    The British gent who won the short film award, talking about how, being British, he's more used to saying "sorry" than "thank you."

Typical:
    The omissions in the Obit reel.
    The Warners tribute, which left out both one of the most important films in film history, "The Jazz Singer", as well as their silents and many 30s/40s classics.
    On top of it all, they include MGM films, just because of the later licensing (or were the producers too dumb to know any better?)

Moment of Rage:
    Allotting 2 seconds or so of a video montage to show Peter Weir getting an honorary Oscar.
    Not important enough for the main show; the equivalent of passing someone a tip and saying: "Now beat it!"

Small Piece of Advice:
    If a singer (in this case Lady Gaga) wants to prove something by not wearing make-up, she is in no way being helped by being shot in a crushing CU for much of her performance. On a 65-inch screen, that turns into something of a neo-realism horror show rather quickly, at the expense of both the song and the other band members.

Wonder if this will still be on the air in 2030...?

C.

Chris DeVoe and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

25. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

This certainly ranks up there with one of the most sour reactions in Oscar history. Even Burt Reynolds managed a slow clap for Robin Williams. And Reynolds got a lot of negative press and online criticism at the time. I’m sure she had reasons beyond not winning, but it’s just a bad look for anyone.

drufty likes this.