95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Here's the end credits from Supercop with outtakes of both her and Jackie Chan. It shows that she actually
    missed landing the train motorcyle jump twice, and you can see the piles of cardboard boxes beside the tracks
    just in case.
    I also love the scene where Jackie jumps on her in the field and accidentally lands his hand on her crotch.
    They both start laughing and then she fake beats on him. Hilarious.

2. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Oddly, it looks like she jumped the train 4 times, and maybe they didn't use the successful 3rd attempt because it looked too easy. Also, you can see boards between the train cars earlier, but on the take they used I don't see one, and the motorcycle barely got over the gap. One of those earlier attempts looks like she bounced so far out that she may have missed the boxes. In an age of beautiful actresses protecting their faces from anything, the is simply incredible for a future Bond Girl to do.

Was Supercop the only time Jackie got upstaged in the blooper reel? Or had the most serious accident?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    Danny Coffin and sixtiesstereo like this.
  3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Correct.

It's the tech guys' hard work that makes the magic.

While, often, actors are on a green screen supported by wires.

DigMyGroove and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  4. But he won for the great acting he did in the film. He did’t win for singing or actually hitting the high notes. He had to make it look like he actually was singing. In fact all the actors were pretending to do something else. Fraser wasn’t that fat either and Curtis doesn’t work for the IRS

These are things actors literally to. They pretend .

MichaelH and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I'm currently obsessed with Michelle Yeoh, and loving the more I dig. Her talking to David Letterman in 1997 and after him awkwardly saying he respects her rotating vertebrae (which she doesn't laugh to) then him throwing a softball "give some credit to Jackie Chan for helping you out" and she replies "he's a male chauvinistic pig" with the audience in shock and/or booing. Around the 3 minute mark in the video.

OMFG. I'm loving it, because I'm sure it is fairly accurate. It took him how long to allow a female to not just be a prop in the movie, and then after getting upstaged he quickly regressed back. I've never seen Supercop 2, maybe I should. But so delicious how she won an Oscar for a role that was written for and turned down by Jackie Chan. I'm curious, was the original script about a father reconciling with his daughter? It just wouldn't have had the power IMO.

Then Jamie Lee Curtis said something pretty profound in the cast sit-down at the World Premiere that people always say "no other actor could have played that part" and she replies how silly and not true that always is, but then says that in this case that no one else could have played the part except Michelle. Seems accurate to me.

Then her telling the piano player to "shut up" and that she could beat him up. You can tell this is someone who has worked in the cinematic wringer and takes no guff.

I also think a big thing that makes the film work is that Ke retained his childhood lisp and high tone, and Michelle brings a slower lower toned delivery. Just those voices back and forth is quite interesting.

7. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I always recall the blooper reel from Police Story 2 (the prequel to Supercop). Maggie got brained pretty hard during one stunt and, I have read, it was a really serious injury that required a ton of stitches. I'm not sure if it was the worst injury in that movie, but it sure looked bad.

You can see her get clobbered starting at :20.

From a website about the film:

"Maggie Cheung suffered a head injury during the film's finale and was unable to complete the film. Notice that after the stunt involving metal frames, Cheung does not appear in close-up for the rest of the picture. Her character is shot from far away or from behind with a double in her place. Cheung's injury can be seen during the outtakes."

8. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I didn't realize she was the one who played Santa in Last Christmas until I heard her talk during her acceptance speech. That voice is unmistakable.

9. poppys

poppys Senior Member

She does say they are good friends at the end of this.

Michelle Yeoh talks about her early career and why Jackie Chan is afraid of her

Noticed his voice right away, it added greatly to the overall confusion of the universes, together they make music.

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Which jackass are you referring to? :whistle:

Frank Discussion likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I have to admit that I find it amusing that Letterman, who made his bones on network TV (NBC) by being combative and mouthy with and about celebs, is calling out a celeb for something this trivial.

And I say that as as big fan of Letterman (my favorite late night talk show host ever) and as someone who doesn't care for Tom Cruise off screen.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

phillyal1 and a customer like this.
  18. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Austin Butler won with international voters vs Brendan Fraser: The Forgien Press Golden Globe, UK BAFTA, Australian AACTA International, The Catalonia Sant Jordi and is now up for the Ireland international category at IFTA (Where Fraser isn't nominated)

Those bodies weren't and aren't voting against him because he's young or it's his first lead role, or because they were moved by someone's personal story.

Hollywood voters, SAG/Oscars, have an agenda they lean heavily on which is lifetime achievement and comeback narratives

Also, that Austin was winning so many Breakthrough Performance or Most Promising awards with local film critic bodies, tells you that there's a mindset with U.S. voters in general that you have to be a certain age, or have a certain level of lead role experience, to win for a leading actor category.

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

21. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

SirCandy likes this.
  22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Bassett deserved an Oscar for at least one of her two nominated roles (Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do with It? and Queen Ramonda in Wakanda Forever), and she should have been nominated for Strange Days, so I totally understand this.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

The Tina movie I'd say was her best performance for sure.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. ledzepfan63

ledzepfan63 Forum Resident

bassett was tina turner in that flick.