95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Ana de Armas was tremendous in Blonde. That was fearless acting. That was inhabiting the role. Sadly, that movie is way too controversial/out there for her to have a chance. But she absolutely deserves to win.

agentalbert, RSteven and PH416156 like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That movie is up for lots of Razzles

3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

And yet, they did not single out her performance. Actually, most of what they picked didn't make a lot of sense. But whatever, it's the Razzies.

agentalbert, RSteven and PH416156 like this.
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Not gonna happen, and sure don't think it was the best one, but I'd laugh big time if a popcorn film such as Top Gun : Maverick won the BP award, just to get rid of the bad taste left by the several mediocre PC films getting major awards over the last 6-7 years, maybe more.

I'm rooting for Elvis but except for Austin Butler and maybe the sound and make-up awards, I don't see many chances for it

It'd be also great it Steven Spielberg got the director award, even if I didn't really like The Fabelmans.

A bit perplexed at the Academy's choice to give production design and cinematography nominations to All quiet on western front but not to The Batman

RSteven likes this.
  5. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I used to live for the Academy Awards show.

I think the pandemic took the desire to watch away from me. This year I will wait and see who wins. Then I may check the winning film out.

So far I have seen, "Elvis", "The Batman" and "All Quiet on the Western Front", I liked them all.

Vidiot and RSteven like this.
  6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Great to hear about Top Gun.

Side note: It was author John Ringo who coined the term "Get Woke, Go Broke".

7. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

The Irish contingent will certainly be partying in Hollywood this March, the weekend before St Patrick's Day :cheers:
    I just wish the actual films were more enjoyable, though. Achill & Inis Mór were where people used to go to get away from modern life but now they'll probably be overrun by modern tourists, looking for a pub that no longer exists.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    GillyT likes this.
  8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I was interested in seeing Tar until I learned it's not the short version of Avatar.:shh:

adm62, Vidiot, keef00 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

interesting nominations-- and yeah I agree with whoever it was that said that paul dano should have been nominated rather then judd hirsch, --but judd hirsch is 87 or thereabouts so maybe its a 'at near the end of his working life really good actor lets give him a shout out one last time' for judd h, , as by contrast, paul dano, i suspect, will be in many great movies to come-- he's a great actor and i would think sooner or later he will be up there accepting a best actor or supporting actor award.

10. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I don't understand how Top Gun: Maverick is considered worthy of any sort of award, (I won't bother saying what I think about industry awards generally)? It was a bit of forgettable nostalgic fun, sure, but one of the ten best pictures of the year?! :biglaugh:

Chris DeVoe, The Hud and audiomixer like this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Best Picture- hell no. Technical awards they should be up for and win. Minimal CGI stuff going on there unlike Avatar. Avatar is just a glorified cartoon.

Derek Slazenger and PH416156 like this.
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I haven't seen any of the films up for awards which is par for the course for me since about 8 or 9 years ago. I will say it's kind of refreshing to see so many lesser known performers nominated and not so and so with their tenth nomination. Best of luck to everyone.

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I thought it was noted ombudsman George Paul? :shrug:

Daniel Plainview and forthlin like this.
  14. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

ROTFL

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I think Avatar 2 was an average movie but technically incredible. Still I'd prefer, when possible, a film with very little CGI to win.

RSteven likes this.
  16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Hooray for Avatar. It should win everything it's nominated for and that includes best picture. Yes it was technically incredible but the story was also inventive and far more emotionally charged than I was expecting. Also pleased to see The Batman get some love since it's my second favorite film of the year. And even though I don't think the movie itself is really deserving I'm glad Austin Butler got nominated for Elvis.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I also turned it off after 40 minutes and I have no desire to continue with it!

RSteven likes this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Like most years since Return Of The King won I haven't seen any of the films nominated.

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am more interested in the Oscars than I am in most of the films.

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’ve seen 7 of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture. The ones I haven’t seen are All Quiet on the Western Front, Avatar, and Triangle of Sadness. I doubt I will see those three. Of the 7 I have seen, my personal favorite is Women Talking, but I will vote for Everything Everywhere All at Once to win because it was just off the charts in originality.

Chris DeVoe and Crack To The Egg like this.
  21. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thankfully, the critics don't get to decide. Only those who work in the film industry - the actors, directors, writers, sound editors and so on - get to vote. All 8,000 of them.

22. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I adore Crash and thought Green Book was darn good too.

23. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I wish James Cameron or Matt Reeves would have gotten best director noms and that Robert Pattinson would have gotten a best actor nom, and it would have been cool if Minions the Rise of Gru had gotten some love in the best animated feature category, but those are my only quibbles.

24. bartels76

Same!

25. bartels76

The original All Quiet is amazing and I hear good things about this version. I wouldn’t miss out.