95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I don’t like war films. I’ll skip it.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's gonna sweep most of its categories, and I called it last summer when I saw it. I think it's "the kind of movie the Academy likes," since it's a fairly uncommercial idea, it has a very original story, it was a huge gamble for the filmmakers, it was a relatively low-budget ($25 million dollars) "art" picture, plus it has actors "of a certain age" who might not normally be recognized for their talent. On the surface, it had everything stacked against it, including a cast 90% made up of minorities. I can't imagine what the filmmakers must have gone through in order to sell this idea to a studio (indie distributor A24).

If Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't win for her role as the IRS agent, I'm gonna drive over to the Academy office on Wilshire and throw rocks at the building.

[​IMG]

Unrecognizable! I fell outta my chair when I saw the end credits and realized who that was.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The "Oscar Snub" list was interesting:

• no actor nomination for Paul Dano of The Fabelmans (liked him, didn't like the film)

• no actor nomination for Tom Cruise from Top Gun: Maverick (though he could pick up a Best Picture statue as producer)

• no actor nomination for Viola Davis for The Woman King (and she was favored)

• no cinematography nomination for Claudio Miranda for Top Gun: Maverick (and he did a superlative job)

• no cinematography nomination for Janusz Kaminski for The Fabelmans (ditto)

• no director nomination for James Cameron for Avatar: The Way of Water (my guess is backlash from its commercial success)

• no director nomination for Baz Luhrmann for Elvis (my guess is backlash from campaigning much too hard, but the actor and crew did get 8 Oscar nominations, which ain't bad)

• no nominations for Jordan Peele's Nope

Note there were no women nominated for Best Director, which some see as a negative statement.

The most shocking snubs and surprises of the 2023 Oscar nominations

Oscars 2023 Nominations: The Most Shocking Snubs and Surprises

The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations

RSteven and Crack To The Egg like this.
  4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m so bummed that Bones and All didn’t get a single nomination. Not even for that stellar song at the end by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Argh

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Tom Cruise as actually a human being not a robot in this movie for the first time in like 20 years but I don't think he deserves a nomination at all. The movie and material he was given was average. It checked all the boxes for its sequel to please fans and that's it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Oscars need Top Gun more than the other way around. It's all tv ratings bait since this years event is non-contact.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  7. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

For me the biggest snub was Decision to Leave for anything. I thought at least it was guaranteed to be nominated for Best International Picture. Park Chan Wook was nominated for Best Director at the BAFTAs for this film and won that award at Cannes. And Tang Wei is superlative in the film, easily one of the five best performances of the year, male or female. But nope, they got nada from AMPAS. Still waiting for Park to get recognized by the Academy for anything in his brilliant career.

Andrea Riseborough was nominated for Best Actress; the weird full court press the A-listers did to get her a nom worked. But I'm already seeing massive blowback, because though she got in, two favored black actresses (Danielle Deadwyler and Viola Davis) did not, and thus there are no black actresses in the final five. One of the actresses pushing hardest for Riseborough (Frances Fisher) went on twitter during the voting and assured voters that they could vote for her without affecting the chances of the two blacks actresses because the two were 'locks' to get nominated. Oops. Man, is she hearing it tonight on Twitter from angry fans of those two ladies LOL.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    brownie61 likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I thought he did about the best acting job I've seen him do in a long time. I actually think Top Gun: Maverick was a terrific film in many, many ways.

MrGrumpy and RSteven like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’ll take !!!

Best picture
    Triangle of Sadness
    Actor in a leading role
    Austin Butler, Elvis
    Actress in a leading role
    Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Directing
    Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
    Cinematography
    Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
    Actress in a supporting role
    Kerry Condon (The Banshees of Inisherin)
    Actor in a supporting roll
    Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

RSteven likes this.
  10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Any thoughts on the feature animation noms? Personally I'm rooting for "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On," which IMHO was bursting with heart and creativity. It was incredibly sweet, funny and moving.

I liked "Turning Red" a lot, and appreciated how the subject matter was handled as well as the cultural angle, but emotionally and creatively I don't think it lives up to Pixar's better works.

I took my 8-year-old daughter to "Puss In Boots: The Last Wish" a couple of weeks back and we both had a blast. Great fun, but nothing that really went outside of the envelope as far as studio animation goes.

I haven't seen Guillermo Del Toro's "Pinocchio" yet. I'm a fan of the director and the style looks amazing, but I've heard some mixed opinions by people I trust. Hopefully I can find time to watch it soon.

I don't believe I've heard of "The Sea Beast," but I'm willing to check it out.

Interesting that "Luck" was ignored, which was supposed to be former Pixar mastermind John Lasseter's big comeback. I thought it was a rather forgettable and heartless disappointment especially considering the talent involved, so I can see why it as snubbed.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO'S PINOCCHIO
    Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley
    MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON
    Dean Fleischer Camp, Elisabeth Holm, Andrew Goldman, Caroline Kaplan and Paul Mezey
    PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH
    Joel Crawford and Mark Swift
    THE SEA BEAST
    Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger
    TURNING RED
    Domee Shi and Lindsey Collins

11. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I’ve seen everything but The Sea Beast. I think MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON is far and away the best of the bunch easily. It’s surprising this movie didn’t have a bigger breakout last year. Even if it doesn’t win the Oscar people are going to catch up with it later and be surprised at how effective it is.

Pinocchio is very similar to Puss In Boots in theme, but pushes it to a darker place. I didn’t care for the songs and found it draggy compared to the other nominees.

Chris DeVoe and Dan C like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've only seen "Red" and "Puss" from those 5.

"Red" was really good for its first act and then... not so much.

"Puss" started out a little ehh - to me - but got better, and it had more emotion/depth than expected. Big improvement over the 1st "PiB" movie.

carrick doone likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Didn't care for the songs/thought it was draggy meaning "Pinocchio" or "PiB"?

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Is there a lot of songs in Puss in Boots? I don't like musicals much and I only recall a song right at the beginning. Maybe there was another one. I liked Puss in Boots very much for the same reasons as you.

15. Oatsdad

I think you're right and "Fearless Hero" was the only actual song used as a "production number".

I couldn't remember but I looked it up and that appears to be the case.

So I guess the comment to which I replied meant the songs in "Pinocchio".

16. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Pinocchio. It has a number of songs that are not particularly memorable and heavily laden with autotune. Puss and Boots has a big musical number with a theme repeats throughout the film. That song is more memorable than every song in Pinocchio IMO.

Oatsdad likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The one that really got cheated was Everything Everywhere All At Once not getting a nod for Special Effects.

As the branches nominate, I suspect they didn't nominate it because it was done by a tiny crew of seven people over the early part of the pandemic, and people who are employed by giant special effects companies don't want to encourage that sort of thing.

Pinocchio was beautiful, and very moving. We actually drove 40 minutes out of our way to see it in the theater. It's one weakness was that it didn't have very memorable songs.

The only one of the animated films we haven't seen in the theater is The Sea Beast, but our favorite of the ones we have seen is Marcel the Shell With Shoes On.

I can understand why they nominated Top Gun: Maverick, but lord, what a dopey film! Sorry, but all through the second half of the film I was thinking "You know, that officer who said that all of them need to be replaced with drones was right!"

It's like how you know you're an adult when you realize that Dean Wormer in Animal House had some valid points.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Based on his work in Magnolia, I have hopes that Tom Cruise will eventually do good work again.

But it sure wasn't this.

18. Chris DeVoe

Don't worry, it's going to clean up at the Razzies!

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

…? It got very good reviews. Chalamet and Taylor Russell’s performances have been widely praised. I think it’s Guadagnino’s best movie

20. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

21. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Good heavens - this totally bizarre back story could be more interesting than the Oscars themselves. People believed Frances Fisher's (incorrect) admission that the whole thing was essentially a race-based fix?

Actually that's a rhetorical question. I will have forgotten about all this by tomorrow.

AppleBonker likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for info, but I no longer watch them...

23. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I don’t think anybody can at this point. I only liked him on Win Ben Stein’s Money.

Kyle William, RSteven and MrGrumpy like this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No female director's - not an issue in my book. If the best five films just happen to be directed by men then that's who should get nominated.

I saw Everything Always... and enjoyed it but I am very surprised with all the nominations. It's good but not something I would say is Oscar worthy. Parasite was perfection, that deserved it.

It highlights a very poor year imho. I usually get new films for birthday and Xmas but struggled to pick anything this year. Lots of ok films. I have no interest in Avatar or Top Gun but at least they made money.

I would bet that the Spielberg biopic wins a big award as a kind of 'lifetime achievement' award. Trailer looks quite naff though.

25. Chris DeVoe

We saw it for Mark Rylance, and though we liked the other actors, it seemed to be one of those concepts that works as a metaphor in a novel, but it just did not work as a film.

My mind just kept drifting to how a 110 lb young woman managed to consume a 200 lb grown man without without gaining an ounce.

If I can stop to think of things like that, the film has failed to hold my attention.