95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You're absolutely right: I was convinced Everything Everywhere was nominated for Best Visual Effects, but it was not. The films that were nominated:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
    Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
    Jurassic World Dominion
    Nope
    Thirteen Lives

I have no idea why the latter was there. Hey, somebody tell me why Avatar: The Way of Water didn't get a best VFX nom. Dune won quite a few Visual Effects Society awards, but also was not nominated. I think both Dune and Everything were far better choices than most of the films cited, but I have to say, the Dr. Strange film was exceptionally good.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I suspect everyone in the guilds voted for their company's work. Job security.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was a far better multiverse film than Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and I say that as an unrepentant Marvel fan.

GillyT, JerolW, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  3. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Best Supporting Actress is a pretty good competition, but boy is Best Actress messed up. Yeoh and Blanchett are almost certainly vying for the prize and thankfully both made it. But you also have the uber-weird Riseborough nod when she was completely ignored everywhere else; Michelle Williams getting the 'we like her so let's give her an unlikely nod' nomination; and de Armas in probably the most controversial film I ever recall getting major award consideration.

Meanwhile, they left out Deadwyler, who compiled nominations all over the place in other award shows; Viola Davis, who has been nominated multiple times for Oscar but never won; horror starlet Mia Goth (I haven't seen her film, but it's gotten a lot of buzz); and Tang Wei, who for my money should have been right in this to win in a just world.

Seriously, does anyone want Michelle Williams to win? Talk about a buzzless nom.

I'm rooting like heck for Yeoh. Cate's OK, but she gave a speech at the Critics award where, while accepting her award, bemoaned the idea of even having these awards. I think she meant to be generous to her competition by suggesting that it's impossible to compare performances, but it came off really pissy and entitled. Yeah, it's easy to say stuff like that when you are constantly showered in nominations, but look at how important the nominations are to someone like Stephanie Hsu; life changing, I would say (I've been watching some of her commercials on YouTube; she made a lot of them over the years to pay the rent). Perhaps Blanchett could have at least waited to complain until AFTER she had accepted the hardware?

(plus she already has two Oscars, she hardly needs any more).

GillyT and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

5. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I don't know where you get your information from but according to the actual Oscars website the nominations for visual effects are all quiet on the western front, avatar, the batman, top gun and black panther. I wish the secrets of Dumbledore had been nominated though.

Vidiot and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Pardon me -- I accidentally grabbed the shortlist of finalists! My bad.

Official Oscar nominees:

[​IMG]
    I don't agree with Batman -- at all -- especially compared to Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

I also completely missed that this is the first time that Jerry Bruckheimer has ever been nominated for an Oscar before (for producing Top Gun: Maverick):

Oscars: Top Gun: Maverick Producer Jerry Bruckheimer on Nomination – The Hollywood Reporter

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Dan C likes this.
  7. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I wonder how much of that is the real person behind the character being an LA staple. Leah Adler’s The Milky Way was one of the only places you could get decent kosher food in LA back in the day. Williams was fine, but seemed to be channeling a young Mia Farrow vibe.

AppleBonker likes this.
  8. Crack To The Egg

Agree. I’d rather The Batman and Top Gun been up for cinematography instead of VFX.

MichaelH likes this.
  9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Based on my wonderful experience with Leah Adler at the Milky Way, I'd have to disagree with Steven about his depiction of her.

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  10. Crack To The Egg

What were your impressions of her?

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

She came up and talked to me at the table with alarming familiarity, like she knew me from somewhere, which was basically impossible. So on one hand, I was feeling totally charmed and blessed to be the center of her attention for quite a long time, but I was also feeling more and more like an a@@hole because I was starting to believe that we must have met before and I'd forgotten this sweet, little old lady - if that makes sense.

So I was rather shocked to see her depicted rather unwholesomely in Fabelmans.

12. AppleBonker

D'oh, that's what I get for believing something I read on Twitter without double checking.

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. AppleBonker

Completely non sequitur, but there's a restaurant here in Seattle that I used to go to from time to time where the very aged owner would go from table to table and sometimes sit down and talk to you. I'm sure she meant well, but it always felt a little weird to me.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought you'd try to wiggle out by saying "yeah, but Viola Davis only won as Supporting, not Lead!" :laugh:

15. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

The best pic nominations show how far the movie standard has dropped since the last century.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yeah! Down with color and sound in movies!

Dan C and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Dune came out in 2021 and won the effects Oscar last year.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Michelle Williams gave a superb performance, surprise for me was no nomination for the equally brilliant Olivia Colman

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My mistake -- I didn't see it until 2022, so my memories are ingrained. So they took 2 years off between films?

20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Agree with most of this, especially first statement.. another reason the Oscars are a bore now. We can see it a mile away that diversity will win over whether what was truly the best .

RSteven likes this.
  21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We watched “Sea Beast” last night with our 8-year-old daughter. She loved it, I thought it was good but ultimately predictable and rather forgettable. Little of the heart and wit director Chris Williams captured in “Big Hero 6” and “Moana.“ That’s a bummer.

Emotionally “Marcel” is on par with the golden age Pixar and new Disney features but with a radically reduced budget and, obviously, style. It’s still far and away my favorite of this group. Still need to watch Pinocchio though, but I keep hearing mixed reviews.

dan c

PS: it’s interesting how disappointing the output from these directors and animators has been since they left the Pixar/Disney umbrella, particularly “Luck.” Huge letdown.

MikaelaArsenault and brownie61 like this.
  22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Am I the only one who thought David Lynch deserved best supporting actor for fabelmans.

He’s only in it for a scene but my god that scene and his performance raised the film for me tremendously.

Not to say Hirsch isn’t deserving either.

Chris DeVoe and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault