96kHzfs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Frank., Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank.

Frank. New Member Thread Starter

Sirs,

I currently own a Kenwood DVF-R9050 DVD player and Kenwood KRF-X7775D receiver. My problem is no matter what I do I cannot get the 96kHz fs light on the receiver to come on. I have several different DVD audio disks that are recorded using the 96kHz fs sampling rate none of which activate the light.
    I have connected the 6CH OUTPUT of the DVD player to the 6CH INPUT on the receiver, and also hooked the Digital Coax out of the DVD player to the DVD digital Coax input of the receiver and the optical digital out of the DVD player is hooked up to the CD optical input of the receiver.

Is the light supposed to come on when using the DVD/6CH ANALOG.

Is the light supposed to come on when using the DVD Digital

Is the light supposed to come on when using the CD Digital

On another subject, is it better to play all of these sources through the 6-Channel ANALOG outputs, Including Dolby digital movies.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Hi Frank - welcome to the forum

By defaut your player has the "Digital Audio PCM Down Conversion" option set to on - this would need switching off (Page 54 of the English language manual :) ) Under Sound settings.

not sure if that would be the cause of the light not glowing but maybe

All the best - Andrew

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Many DVD-Audio discs have digital copy protection that, regardless of what you tell your player to do, will downconvert the digital output from 24 bit 96KHz to 16 bit 48KHz, essentially forcing you to use the DACs on your player and analog outputs if you want to hear the 24/96 hi-rez stereo tracks.

Regards,

4. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

As Ken mentions, the copy protection scheme is at work here. Newer DVD players (DVD-A and DVD-V) should be able to pass the 96 kHz stream just by flipping a switch or changing a setting in the Setup Menu, unless that process is prohibited by the copy protection. Even my old Pioneer DVL 919 DVD/LD combi player can output (but not playback in the internal D/A as far as I know) the 96 kHz stream to an external DAC.

If you want to hear recordings from the 24-bit 96 kHz signal, try a Classic Records DAD (DVD-Video Audio Disk) or a Chesky DAD. Those are the only two companies that I am aware of that will allow one to access the 96/24 output stream to an outboard DAC. As far as I am aware, the Classic Recs are stereo only and the Chesky's are both stereo and multichannel. If that is not correct, please feel free to let us know.

If you have a DVD-Audio or a DVD-Video player with onboard DD or DTS, it will (or it should) use the data stream with the highest resolution by default. Some of the newer DVD-V players claim 192/24 playback, although I am skeptical if this an internal upsampling technique of the 48 kHz and 96 kHz streams, rather than accessing the 192/24 data stream. I have a Toshiba portable DVD-V player that claims to playback the 192/24 stream; however after much listening, I am unconvinced.

BTW, there is a world of difference between the 16-bit 48 kHz stream output of copy protected hardware and the 24-bit 96 kHz stream or even the 24-bit 48 kHz downsampled stream to my ears. The higher bit recordings (20- and 24-bit) seem to possess better sound than the 16-bit. The only description I can use here is the higher bit recordings sound more continuous or "there". The higher bit recordings need to be heard to be appreciated.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:D :D Welcome, Frank! Jump right in, the water's fine...

Try this: for now, just keep your 6-channel inputs connected; disconnect the others(but not, of course, the video line). And make sure you hit the 6-channel mode on your receiver(when I first hooked up, I had it set for DVD: didn't hear a thing. Soon found out I wouldn't).

Get back to us, quick: you're missing great sound!:(

ED:cool:

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

The analogue inputs would not trigger any 96khz light or 'response' because it is an analogue signal already decoded at the source - the DVD player itself. The digital inputs would also not see a 96khz signal from a DVD-A as the 'Advanced Resolution' sound is available only through the analogue outputs. As far as I know, the digital output from DVD-A's is only 48khz 2-channel Dolby Digital. The light would not come on when playing a CD using the digital inputs as CD's are only 44.1khz.

As for which might sound better, the analogue inputs or the digital, when playing back CD's or DVD video discs, that all depends on whether you think the decoding sounds better on your DVD player, or whether you think your receiver decodes the sound better. Try it both ways and see how you like it.

I hope I've answered at least some of your questions.

7. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Re: Re: 96kHzfs

Not too sure about that myself GoldenBoy - there is also the case of DVD-V with a 96Khz audio track DAD - the manual for Franks DVD player specifically mentions 96KHz output - the two exceptions being the downsample function that the player includes (and which is the default so action must be taken to get a 96KHz signal out) and where the Disc has CSS encoding which will force the lower sample output.

All the best - Andrew

8. GoldenBoy

Sure, all DVD-V's as far as I know are capable of 96khz, but as far as I know, the 96khz sampling rate on DVD-A's is classified as 'Advanced Resolution' and therefore only available through the analogue outs. Of course, I could be wrong. If he is not getting 96khz on DVD-V's or DAD's (which are basically just DVD-V's without video) then there must be a problem somewhere, either on the player or the receiver.

9. Ken_McAlinden

All of the Capitol EMI DVD-As have an Advanced resolution stereo layer on the DVD-Video portion of the program. The ones that are 24/96 are also digitally copy protected.

Regards,

10. GoldenBoy

Please forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that the 24/96 on these DVD-A's is or is not available through the digital outs?

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Frank, while our resident techies debate the issue of what's the story with your player, I'll tackle another of your questions, to wit:

:)

:) The first question is: does your DVD-A player have Bass Management? This has been a major complaint of the high-end magazine critics: most players don't. What this means is that, when you play hi-rez music through 6-channel mode, the bass signals aren't being properly routed to your five main speakers, thus forcing you to adjust the subwoofer to compensate, resulting in not quite so natural a sound as you should be getting. If your player does have Bass Management built in, that's great! You get true 5.1 playback in full frequency range(provided you have the speakers to handle this).
    As for playing ALL sources through 6-channel? If you have Bass Management, no reason why you shouldn't. If you don't, it's best to let DD 5.1 and DTS default to their respective modes on your receiver. I A/B'd this, and the bass comes back to the other speakers in those modes, but you can hear the reduction when back to 6-channel(in other words, my player doesn't have BM). The nice thing then, even without bass management built into the player, the bass IS being managed through those inputs. I play all regular DTS films and audio through the DTS mode, and all DD through the regular 5.1 mode. In truth you can use the 6-channel mode to listen to anything from the player, of course, but why would you? Regular stereo is best heard through the stereo jacks for the DVD(or CD)modes. At least that's been my experience.

ED:cool:

12. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The introduction of HDMI digital interconnects will allow future receivers to decode all modes of digital audio output from SACD and DVD-A players. We are still several months away from a final standard and then it can take up to 18 months for the hardware to hit the street. Till then copy protection rules out lives and prevents full use of our digital interconnects.

Richard.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Not quite. A downconverted 48KHz signal is passed to the digital outputs. I could have sworn it was downconverted to 16 bits as well, but I will have to check. It basically overrides your player setting to pass through the 24/96 signal and downconverts it no matter what.

Regards,

14. GoldenBoy

Well, that's what I thought you were saying, sort of. As far as I know, when concerning DVD-A, there is no down conversion taking place on the digital outs because DVD-A's contain and play back 2-channel Dolby Digital source material through the digital outs. I'm not sure exactly what the quality is, but I think it is 24/48 or something of that nature. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

15. Ken_McAlinden

I'm not sure I understand you. 24/48 would be a downconversion from either 96KHz or 192KHz. My only uncertainty was wheter or not the also reduce it to 16-bit in addition to downconverting/downsampling to 48KHz.

Regards,

16. GoldenBoy

My point was that the actual source on the DVD-A is 24/48 therefore no down conversion is taking place. As I stated before, all DVD-A's, as far as I know, contain a 24/48 2-channel DVD_V compatible Dolby Digital version of the material therein and that is what is played back through the digital outs. All other 'Advanced Resolution' material is played back only through the analog outs without any down conversion.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Okay, I get where you are coming from, now. Your assumption is not quite right. There are a few DVD-As that have 24/48 tracks, such as the Al Green's Greatest Hits release, but it is more common to have 24/96 such as on the Crowded House DVD-A. In both of those cases, the 2-channel mix is on a DVD-V portion of the disc. The Crowded House disc 24/96 track has the copy protection/forced downcoversion on it.

24/96 is within the DVD-video spec. Titles that do not include a 24/96 track on the DVD-Video program typically are either 24/192, which is not supported by the DVD-Video standard or if they are 24/96, they use MLP lossless data compression to take up less disc space - also not supported by DVD-Video.

Regards,

18. GoldenBoy

I see what you're saying. I do realize that 24/96 is supported by DVD-V, I had just always assumed, perhaps wrongfully so, that 24/96 on DVD-A's was classified strictly as 'Advanced Resolution' and therefore not available through the digital outs. I see now that perhaps my confusion arose from the fact that the 24/96 specification for DVD-A 'Advanced Resolution' is uncompressed and available only through the analogue outs, whereas any 24/96 content available on the DVD-V portion of a disc that would be available through the digital outs is in the compressed Dolby Digital format.

19. Ken_McAlinden

24/96 on the DVD-Video layer is never compressed and it does not use the Dolby Digital format. It is sometimes encoded with digital copy protection which makes your player downconvert it to 48KHz through the digital output, though. You will still be able to hear the un-downconverted 96KHz signal through your analog outputs.

DVD-A format flexibility can be both a feature and a bug, depending on how you look at it. :)

Regards,

20. GoldenBoy

I see. I have never, however, come across a DVD-A that offers 24/96 through the digital outs that is not Dolby Digital format, but then I only own 5 DVD-A's (peanuts compared to how many SACD's I have). All of them offer 'Advanced Resolution' 5.1, 'Advanced Resolution' Stereo (24/192) and DVD-V compatible Dolby Digital.

As for the so called 'flexibility', I consider it a flaw AND a bug. :)

21. Frank.

Thanks for all the feedback. I gusess I should have been checking my post more often.

First to answer aashton's comment - I had already turned off the PCM downconversion

Ed Bishop - I may try that at a later date but it is a little difficult getting into my cabinet to swap wires - wife vs functionality--wife wins

In response to your second comment. The player does not have bass management but I do not have a subwoofer - yet!

goldenboy - from your explaination the 96hz fs on the reciever would never come on. I thought that the light should illuminate when passing through 96hz fs from the DVD-A player. The DVD-A player 96k fs does light up it also has a 192k fs light but I don't think I have any DVD-As recorded with that sampling rate. Most of my discs contain "advanced resoution surround and/or stereo". It is my understanding that these are recorded with the higher sampling rates. I still get back to my question if the light works on the DVD player why doesn't it work on my Reciever. Am I listening to the best recording I can from my discs

Thanks,
    Frank

22. GoldenBoy

If in fact your DVD player is playing a 96khz source, then the light on your receiver should be triggered unless it is being downcoverted somewhere in the chain. There could also be the very slight chance that the light on your receiver doesn't work. I would suggest to you to thoroughly read through the manuals for both units to make sure that you are doing everything correctly and then if you are still having problems, maybe you should consider contacting the manufacturers.

23. Frank.

I have been over and over the manuals. If it's a burnt out light, I've wasted a lot of time I will never be able to get back - this is killing me Why is this light on the reciever.

Frank

24. GoldenBoy

Have you contacted the maufacturer's customer service?

25. Ken_McAlinden

Dolby Digital is a digital lossy compression codec. Any form of 2-channel PCM is by definition not Dolby Digital. Most DVD-audio discs have a dolby digital track, but it is 5.1, not 2-channel unless you are listening to a player generated downmix. Lots of DVD-As only have a DD5.1 on the DVD-Video layer. Some, such as all of the Capitol-EMI titles except the Al Green Greatest Hits also have 24/96 2-channel PCM. (The Al Green has a 24/48 2-channel track).

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.