A 1984 unreleased unknown McCartney track

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

In January 1984, during a Barbados holiday, McCartney wrote and recorded 2 tracks with the Barbados group IVORY : " Runaway " and " Freedom land ".
    The group rerecorded and released the two tracks during the year on their lp Print Out. .

The track " Runaway " was rereleased inside a compilation called Nostalagia IVORY, which can be found on itunes.

Here is an extract of 30 seconds on this site

http://www.crsmusic.com/album_details.cfm?AlbumID=159&CategoryID=14

The enjoyable track is a mix of So Bad, Don't break the promises and Hope of Deliverance ( for the guitars solo ).

Is there someone here who can sent us an mp3 of the other song " freedom land " ? Thanks a lot

10 years ago, someone had for sale the tape of the rehearsal sessions with Paul into the studio with Ivory

Olivier Northern Son likes this.
  2. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I remember coming across the listing for the sale of the studio session tape in Sept.'02. It contained 3 versions of "Runaway" and 1 of "Freedom Land". But if I recall correctly, the description from the sale of the tape had the date pegged as 1981. I believe that info came from the source either connected with the band or with Paradise Alley Studios in Barbados.

So I wonder which date is correct?

3. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I read a few reviews of "Beatles Deeper Undercover". It sounds like a very interesting book. In one review, they quote the recording dates as possibly late 70s or early 80s. In several reviews they mention that Ivory rerecorded the songs. So, perhaps it was recorded n 1981 and released as late as 1984. Who's got the facts?

http://www.wmgk.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1210740

In the 70s, the "All Together Now" discography set me off to find the Beatles' guest appearances. I was pleased to see that I have some of the record listed as obscure in the above review.

Now, let's have someone start a thread on the book!

4. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

But not to confuse people (which I've seen elsewhere) these released recordings of the two songs have no Paul involvement at all. That was Paul's condition when the band asked if they could release the songs i.e., they had to re-record them.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Any chances of a kind soul to upload somewhere this Runaway snippet?
    My PC has a sound bug and I can only listen on my player!
    thanks

6. Claudio Dirani

I didn't know that. Thank you for the information.

7. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. Claudio Dirani

9. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I quite like the album cover..

10. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Thank you! Paul has given several songs away that are now obscure (except to fanatics like us). I can't think of another as well hidden as these; they easily top "Penina" and "4th of July".

It strikes me as an homage to Marilyn Monroe's centerfold.

11. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Unfortunately the link to these two tracks doesnt work anymore, is there any kind soul who could pm these or reupload them?

12. Calico

Calico Senior Member

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Both of these songs are now available on iTunes. The artist is "Ivory -Barbados".

14. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

15. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

On the Amazon page 'Runaway' is listed twice. Re-mastered single clocking at 3:41 and from the Nostalgia album 3:29. Different mixes?

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was wondering that, too. I bought the shorter track off the Nostalgia album and then discovered the two separate singles. I wasn't about to re-buy "Runaway" as I'm sure it'll fit the bill as is.

17. fab4us

fab4us New Member

Hi, I noticed the existance of these two songs recently. And looks like "Freedom Land" was deleted in Amazon or iTunes or anywhere. Can somebody help me by sending MP3 or uploading it for me? I bought "Runaway", though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.