A/B AT-VM95E vs AT-VM95ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geordiepete, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer Thread Starter

Just received my AT-VM95ML stylus and I did a test recording with the elliptical and the microline, switching out the stylus while keeping the same cartridge. The recording is an excerpt from Pink Floyd's 'Dogs', taken from the very end of the song, closing Side One of Animals.

The differences were clearer than I was expecting. Should point out that I've had the elliptical for about 16 months and I reckon it has about 130 hours on it. Audio-Technica rate that elliptical for 300 hours. The microline is rated for 1000 hours, though I've only played this one for about 10 minutes so far!

I know it's not a fair contest, as the microline is brand new and the elliptical is a third of the way through it's recommended lifespan, but it's not really a contest, just a listening test and an opportunity to share any reflections.

So after listening to both, A vs B, which is the microline?

What ere the differences you can hear?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Leonthepro likes this.
  2. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I think B is better!

3. Geordiepete

I just fixed the poll wording so you can vote which is the microline, A or B.

What differences did you hear?

4. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

B was less congested. It sounded less crowded; it was much easier to make out the instruments and the voice. Am I right?

Geordiepete likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Took all of 3 seconds to decide its B. Less harsh and distorted.

This is what causes record grooves to wear most of all, mistracking. Its why I always recommend newcomers to the hobby get a great stylus as soon as possible so their records last.
    This particular record already seems a bit worn though so the ML can only do so much.

6. Geordiepete

Yup! You nailed that needle!

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Geordiepete

It's a Japanese original pressing of Animals, bought used. Sounds like some crackle on the elliptical (A) but that is absent to my ears on the microline (B). Do you detect imperfections in that B recording? Anyway, of course I have no way of knowing how much this LP has been played and with what carts.

patient_ot and Leonthepro like this.
  8. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

A is pretty badly distorted. B sounds far better but I still hear some nasties.

woodpigeon and Geordiepete like this.
  9. Geordiepete

Crackle?

10. Leonthepro

A lot of the crackle and harshness is gone on B yes, but I can still hear clear signs of use on the more powerful lyrics since they trail with a bit of light crackling or ripping noises that is probably where other styli have banged into the groove wall and chipped it.
    Better to just enjoy the music than try to look for these things however, now that you know you are being about as gentle as can be on the grooves.

FJFP and Geordiepete like this.
  11. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Crackle when the vocals get loud yeah. Probably just the record. How did newer records sound with your elliptical?

Geordiepete likes this.
  12. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

That really sold me on the ML! Thanks!

13. Leonthepro

It can be very surprising how well it can track.

14. Geordiepete

Haven't tested yet! Will report back tomorrow. Maybe I'll post a couple of A/B samples from a couple of new discs.

Adam9 and Leonthepro like this.
  15. Geordiepete

Not only that (the audio-quality boost), but also cents-per-hour, the ML works out a fraction cheaper than the E!

Leonthepro likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Best deal in the vinyl HiFi market today.

17. Geordiepete

It's a very nice rendering. I think it's improved a great deal.

(Oh, that was HAL 2000.)

WDeranged likes this.
  18. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I wonder what the second best cart deal is (that's not in the vm95 range)?

19. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Oh wow, quite a difference.

B is not too bad for groove damage. I've got a couple of badly worn ones: groove wear.wav (these were recorded with a VM95ML as well)

patient_ot and Geordiepete like this.
  20. Leonthepro

Good question, I think the MP110 was back a few years when it cost less, now Im not sure.

21. Geordiepete

Cheers for sharing those samples. I'd describe them, somewhat ineptly, as looose, baggy, wavy, as if the groove has been carved away on both sides with wear and likely a badly set-up turntable. Is that about right?

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I was not familiar with the track used as an example so after I listened to samples I listened to the song on YouTube Music. It sounded much cleaner and better than both samples.

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

This is why the microline/microridge is the best stylus profle. It even makes what appears to be a groove-damaged record tolerable…still not great though. Find a better copy of this! :laugh:

Geordiepete likes this.
  24. Geordiepete

Yes, I decided I'll find a better copy. A remix of Pink Floyd's Animals in vinyl and in 5.1 is coming this May, I think, so I'll likely get that unless it's too expensive. Not many months ago I decided to buy new vinyl only (or mainly, when possible), because you can never tell just from looking how a record will play.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    woodpigeon and snorker like this.
  25. Geordiepete

Some more 12-second or so samples. Actually, I recorded many more, but the digital recorder gain was set too high for most tracks and there was clipping throughout, so I just have these two for now. They're both side closers, so more testing of a cartridge.

Elliptical: 'They Might Be Lost', Neil Young, Barn
    Microline: 'They Might Be Lost', Neil Young, Barn

Elliptical: 'Seamus', Pink Floyd, Meddle
    Microline: 'Seamus', Pink Floyd, Meddle

Neil Young's Barn is brand new while this copy of Pink Floyd's Meddle was bought used and is the original Japanese pressing (OP-80375). Any thoughts on the differences here?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.