A Band Called O - Old Grey Whistle Test 1975

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone on here can help,

A colleague from work was talking to me about "A Band Called O" and a performance of a track that they played on the UK's "Old Grey Whistle Test" in 1975. This performance was on the same episode as the John Lennon interview from 18 April 1975. Unfortunately there seems to be no record/video on the net on what the performance may have been?

Any ideas on what the song may have been?

Many Thanks
    Rob

2. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I can't answer your question at all, I'm afraid. But is this "Band Called O" the same band that previously was "Parlour Band" and put out that totally great album in 1970?

3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Looks like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Band_Called_O

4. pedro

pedro New Member

I am sure the performance was a track called ''Sleeping'' i recorded it at the time on my cassete tape recorder from the telly but never got the title bob harris just said it was ''A Band Called O'' i was 14 at the time and the track has haunted me for the last 30 odd years i used to play my guitar over it and learnt the guitar solo. well 2 days ago i found a different version of it on i tunes thats how i got the title the original is off an album called ''Oasis'' hope this helps your mate at work its been bugging me for years

5. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Brilliant - i will pass the info on to him tomorrow!

6. Pix

Pix New Member

Hi, just stumbled across this site. My name's Pix and I was the singer/guitarist with 'A Band Called O'. It's great that people still remember the band. That Whistle Test gig was fab! I believe that particular show was watched by 9000,000 due to the Lennon interview. We did two songs... 'Foolin' Round' and 'Sleeping' as correctly mentioned above by Pedro and the show was a pleasure to do. It was one of the first in the bigger studio and we had all afternoon to rehearse and get the sound sorted. Whispering Bob rushed in at the last minute from NY with the Lennon tapes. We watched them, then did the show which they recorded live without edits. I think the only other music played was a Linda Ronstadt track. Hope this is useful! Best wishes... Pix

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Cool! Thanks for stopping by and telling us about the experience! Were you also in the Parlour Band?

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, this band, in various incarnations, released five albums, and people seem to think they are excellent examples of prog/art/melodic rock. And yet I've never heard of any of them (probably in part because none of it was issued in the US, although that often didn't matter)...Something to research...

9. Pix

Pix New Member

Yes... The Parlour Band was really Pete Filleul's baby. To cut a long story short, we, that is to say me, Craig and Mark Anders and Jerry Robins had a band called Rockbottom and were living next door to the Kray twins residence (Leicester prison!) Pete was the keyboard player and old friend from Jersey and had got a deal with a load of songs he'd written with Deram, the then new Decca satellite label. For various reasons his Parlour Band couldn't do the album... I think the guitar player was killed in a motorbike accident... So Pete turned up in Leicester and asked us to do the album. We jumped at the chance and became the new Parlour Band. The band later became more Rock 'n Roll orientated and became A Band Called O... All the best...Pix

10. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Wow! Weird story. I didn't know any of that at all, as a matter of fact I've not found much to read about Parlour Band or about "O" either, so all of that is new to me.

I'm afraid I don't know the "Band Called O" stuff, but I've listened to your work on the Parlour Band album many many times. My opinion is that you created one of the great progressive rock albums!

Thanks for telling the story!

11. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Great to see some memories of this excellent and overlooked band. They made 4 albums at the time "O", "Oasis", "Within Reach" and "The Knife". I saw em several times in the early/mid 70's and they were excellent live. They (or perhaps the record company) put out a live album last year called "On the Road 1975-77" which is excellent. I think Pete went on to do some stuff with Richard Thompson.

Excellent albums - all worth getting if you can.

Hello to Pix

12. arthurprecarious

Nice one Pix. I remind/tell people as often as I can about the band. A friend does a show on ne1FM (a community radio station for Newcastle) and I got him to play "A Smile is a Diamond" a couple of months ago.

13. Pix

Pix New Member

Many thanks Arthurprecarious (Ha! Ha! Love it!) Please keep up the good work...it's much appreciated...Pix

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Had to delete a couple of posts because of forum rules about discussing/soliciting unauthorized copies.:tsk:

15. arthurprecarious

That's ok Pix. I'll have a word with my DJ pal and try to get him to play "Sidewalk Ship/Captain Cellophane". Listened to it myself last night.

16. paulbub

paulbub New Member

Hi Pix, I too have just stumbled across this site whilst looking to get a copy of your album within reach. I used to work for a chap called John Weaver and his promotions company Mardi-gras in Birkenhead Liverpool. He booked the O band to appear at Mr Digby's nightclub in Birkenhead in the mid 70's. I was responsible for letting the bands into the nightclub to set up and soundcheck etc. It was a fantastic night and got to meet you all but unfortunately I have long since lost my copy of within reach and would dearly love to replace it, any ideas? Regards Paul

17. Pix

Pix New Member

Hi Paul... I don't know if I can be much help. Both Within Reach and The Knife were available on CD, plus a company called MLP released an (extremely!) belated live album from some live radio broadcasts last year called 'O Band On The Road 1975-77' which ain't bad...!!! Good luck...and I have great memories of Birkenhead and Mr Digby's...Best wishes, Pix

18. Paul White

Paul White New Member

Hi Pix
    I was 1st told about your band by a pal working at a record shop in St Brelades in Jersey where I lived, not sure if he was related to the Anders bros? I bought an album and was hooked. I watched you live in Jersey later, sometime in the late 70s. You guys were fantastic then and the sounds are still relevant know, especially within reach In fact I've just been listening to it at my office and 2 of my staff said gee that's good who is it where can we buy it. I'm now on a crusade to educate my son, he loves bumrocks..
    regards
    Paul
    South Africa

19. Roger Thornhill

Thought this might be of interest - a two page article/interview from an old Zigzag (#64, Sept 1976)

[​IMG]

Toby Latimer likes this.
  20. Roger Thornhill

21. Philcapes

Philcapes New Member

Hi pix

one of your old fans here living in jersey seen you play at Elizabeth castle and the oden also have had the pleasure to meet your dad many years ago another big fan of yours he banged on my car window I thought another old bugger moaning about me blasting you out wound down window couldn't believe he said great music I said yeh then he said that's my son pix I was like wow I still play your music often not so loud I am getting on but your music I think is timeless I just wish your music would get on the radio then others would see how good you were I was really lucky to stumble on this forum as on Facebook is the video of you playing old grey whistle and I was looking for it as I don't do Facebook then I saw you replied to questions so I signed up and hope you read this thank you phil.

22. Stephen McNally

Stephen McNally New Member

Hi Pix,

Wow! I have to say..........I have been a fan of the band for 40 odd years now. I was introduced to your music through a friend of mine at the time who picked up within reach. He had the poster up on his wall. Listened to the album and was hooked. I went on to buy my favourite vinyl of all time which I have framed. I like a few bands and some are really close to my heart but your red vinyl 12" ep is my most treasured possession and I never tire of listening or playing drums along to it. So it's a pleasure to write this and say thanks Pix for giving us the music.

Steve
    Die hard Genesis and O' Band fan

Glasgow/Scotland

23. Within Reach

Within Reach Member

Great page for one of the best band ever, enjoy!

24. Within Reach

Within Reach Member

I remember seeing the O Band on ITV's So It Goes and if memory serves me correct they did about 3 songs. Here is the 2nd from The Old Grey Whistle Test.

25. Stephen McNally

Stephen McNally New Member

Is there any way of getting these videos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.