A Bob Norberg Gem/Frank Sinatra

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Seane,

I say yes the song Come Dance with Me as heard on the Classic Sinatra CD
    IMO sounds much better than the 1990 three (3) CD Capitol Set. Send me a PM if you'd like to hear a better comparison.

The algorithms in his sonic solutions digital processing seems to work very well within a certain very narrow band of parameters.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I have a couple of those Lounge discs also...to me they are a bit too bright (brassy?) for my taste, and a little too fat in the low end. Like you, I find I can't listen to them too loudly. Maybe that's the allure, though--they're made for playing at low volumes as bachelor pad make-out music. It almost reminds me of my days as a kid, cranking the bass and treble all the way up in the old mono Admiral console. ;) (Although it NEEDED the boost, IMHO, on that old equipment.)

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Rudy,

You can crank Steve's "Bachelor's Den" and it still sounds great. The bass is exceptional.

Heh - you're right about the need for low volumes while making out. Too loud and Yma Sumac could give one a hernia. ;)

4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Of the Reprise re-masters, the ones Lee Hershberg did are by far the best. The one Reprise EOTC to really avoid is the re-mastered "September of My Years" (very very harsh sound- Lee did NOT re-master this disc).

AJH

5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That's a shame. Along with the Jobim disk, I think it's the best record Sinatra put out in the Reprise years.

L.

6. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

It Might As Well Be Swing 1998 remaster

I got a lot of Sinatra on CD. Bootlegs and lots of doubles, but while we're talking Reprise can anyone tell me if the 1998 remaster (from the original tapes, as the sticker indicates) is better than the original. I was tempted to pick it up but passed, given the pretty much established fact that 'new and improved' means nothing a lot of the time. Plus, I have the big Reprise box and individual disc and another sealed in the longbox, but if it were really better I'd buy it. Does anyone know?

7. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Sean,

The original CD version of "It Might As Well Be Swing" was released in the early 80's and sounds very good. It is a Japanese pressing. The original recording was done very well. The 1998 remaster sounds just little bit better, however there is not a night and day difference.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I can't give a comparitive evaluation, but the 1998 IMAWBS does sound quite good.

L.

9. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Sean,

the EOTC version of "It Might As Well Be Swing" is indeed very good, but IMO they went a tiny bit over the top with the bass, which is so heavy that it feels kind of unnatural - I think MMM will agree with me on that (haven't we covered this before?). If you've got the original release, be happy with it. Overall sonic differences are small, and you may even prefer the older edition which sounds almost exactly like the original LP.

Arne

10. Sean Keane

Thank you!

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen! This audio fussbudget will forgo the 1998 remaster as I trust you know what you're talking about.

11. Sean Keane

Swing Along With Me

Does the 1998 Swing Along With Me mastered by Lee Hirschberg sound that much better than the original CD release? I read on the Lee Hirschberg thread that it is superior and that the original master was used. If it does, I'll get a copy. Those Reprise Entertainer Of the Century seem to be a mixed bag, as opposed to the Capitol, which are a bad bag.

12. Sean Keane

Could someone also give me their opinions on the Swingin' Brass 1998 remaster? Again, I have the Complete Reprise box and the single disc and even a sealed 1992 release in longbox but I'd still get it if it did sound better. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.