"A" by Jethro Tull: A more natural follow up to Heavy Horses?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Not sure

And no...

GowG likes this.
  2. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

:) I can see Cheerio on any of 77-79 albums, with slightly different arrangement.
    And why not Pu*** Willow on A?
    Again with slightly different instrumentation it could happen.
    But I have feeling that it wouldn't be that good.
    Something like Working John, Working Joe early version from SFTW sessions is not as good as final version on A.

Chemically altered likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Indeed, I was talking the writing, not the production. The main point being, they address similar issues with other Anderson songs.

4. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

"A" sat on my shelf for years. I'd try it every now and then and it just didn't take. Too frenetic, cheesy synths...it just didn't sound like Tull to me. Even though Broadsword is synth heavy, it still had more Tull feel to it than "A".

Of late when I'm jonesing for Tull I've found the old standbys unfulfilling, therefore I've had Under Wraps and A in high rotation. Under Wraps still is just too much for me (though melodically it's got promise...it just needs to be redone musically with real drums and either not so much synth, or some updated sounds), but A has really grown on me. Side one is pretty fantastic and even though I can understand the disdain for side two, I think it fits and I find it just fine. Even enjoyable in moments, particularly 4 W.D. It's not often Ian goes for some groove and it's quite refreshing to hear! Probably my favorite on the album.

I put A alongside War Child. There is plenty of great music, solid songs, interesting melodies, they are just marred by that certain something.

5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I only got Stormwatch in the 40th Ann. edition. the tracks on 20 years of Jethro Tullbled me to expect something as folky as Songs From The Wood, but it was a definite step away from folk back to something more rock based. It seemed more like a companion to A, (which I've had for years as the CD/DVD pack).

There are folk elements on both Stormwatch and A but they are progressing in a new direction.

I don't have Walk Into Light, so I guess I should check it out to see how it fits in to the 80s period.

tootull and Chemically altered like this.
  6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speaking about Under Wraps, l think that the song Underwraps 2 is great. Can you imagine the entire album done in the old folky Tull style?

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Walk Into Light is great with Under Wraps for me.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I never cared much for 'A'. I don't know if it's underrated anymore; there seems to be a strong contingent of Tull fans who love 'A' and BATB as much anything Tull ever did. While I've warmed to BATB, I still find 'A' the most bland Tull album ever. I don't know if the Tull/Jobson thing just wasn't a good fit or if it wasn't given enough time to gel. At any rate, I do think "Black Sunday" is the sole gem from 'A' and does hint at what could have been a really good album instead of a really mediocre (IMO) one.

9. Dr. Bogenbroom

Oh man, it would be phenomenal.
    Lap Of Luxury
    European Legacy
    Later That Same Evening
    Heat
    Are all top notch songs. Can't imagine how good they'd be if remade. Probably as good as the jump from Under Wraps #1 to #2 :yikes:
    Saboteur

You know, one of these days I may finally get around to checking out Ian's solo albums. One of these days. Perhaps. :hide:

10. Chemically altered

Rule of thumb. If you like Under Wraps then you'll like Walk Into Light. If you don't like Under Wraps then you won't like Walk Into Light. The Secret Language Of Birds and Rupi's Dance are back to the old acoustic Tull formula.

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's about right. :righton:

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I find A to be Abominable.

I'm a huge Tull fan, but their decline started with this Awful Album.

moodyxadi likes this.
  13. Dr. Bogenbroom

I forgot to answer the OP question! I was just looking for a thread that mentioned A and wanted to talk about how much I've been enjoying it lately... particularly after years of finding it less than desirable.

Nah, I don't find A to be more fitting sequentially than Stormwatch. I think the latter fits more sound-wise, thematically and melodically. "A" seems to be...I don't know...sort of an odd duck? I think Broadsword follows Stormwatch more than A, then Crest of a Knave. A and Under Wraps, to me, are outliers. Kind of like Too Old...it just doesn't quite "fit" anywhere.

Speaking of Too Old, I must say I find it more enjoyable as the TV special. At least you get the campy visual to go with the music. Combined, Too Old makes a sort of sense, finally. :pineapple:

14. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Too bad Ian couldn't have done 'A' as a solo LP. (I've always liked it)
    Maybe this wouldn't have been a one off then.
    I stopped listening to Tull w/ both ears after A.
    The only real contact was from friends who ended up being bigger
    Tull fans than I. Funny cuz I was the one who first turned them on
    to Jethro Tull.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. Chemically altered

I find A to be Awesome and the last in a long run of Astounding Albums.

moodyxadi, Galeans and rednedtugent like this.
  16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I first started listening to Tull in 1981, though I didn’t hear A at that time. Although only released the previous year, it already had a low reputation among Tull fans as synth-heavy and ‘a bit limp.’

When I finally got round to hearing it, I thought it was OK but nothing to write home about. Subsequently, I warmed to it a bit more but it does seem a rather self-conscious attempt to update Tull’s sound for the 80s before anyone really knew what the 80s sound would be. In that, it has something in common with similarly tentative, under-confident records like In Through The Out Door, Tormato and Who Are You.

After the trilogy, Ian realised he needed to definitively change direction but he tried a bit too hard - dismissing most of the band members and jettisoning most of their folk-rock legacy in one fell swoop. Broadsword was a more successful balancing of old and new Tull elements but that album really should have been a double (the bonus tracks on the remaster definitely up the quality).

17. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Disagree. I loved Walk Into Light and loathed Under Wraps. Theory disproven.

Galeans likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The TV Special version was a bit of a revelation for me. "Too Old" is not necessarily an album of bad songs, the 1976 version simply sounds a bit tired. Now when the band was forced to rerecord it quickly in the studio the whole album got an immediacy and spark that wasn't there before. Love this version! :righton:

19. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

When I was a teenager "A" was the King of the cutout bins, all the record shops around me had tons of copies for ages with the corners clipped off.

20. tootull

:laugh:
    Doesn't everyone have their own Rock Island?
    Their own little patch of sand?
    Broadsword with bonus tracks is brilliant.

When Jethro Tull Entered the '80s With the Synth-Heavy 'A'

21. tootull

I prefer Walk Into Light over Under Wraps.

Step into joy.

Galeans likes this.
  22. Chemically altered

Don't you know that there's an exception to every rule? Particularly in matters of taste.

rednedtugent likes this.
  23. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Tough crowd. I think all JT records can be divided in 2 categories
    1. Great
    2. Very good.
    For we Broadsword is great, and A and Under Wraps simply very good.
    Will I buy "book editions" when they released for those three?
    Absolutely,

Sean, Mr Matchbox, DPM and 4 others like this.
  24. Chemically altered

For the record, I find A to be the last good, not great, but good Tull album until Roots to Branches was released 16 years later.

moodyxadi likes this.
  25. tootull

Good point about Pine Marten's Jig, love it. Stormwatch must follow HH here, MUST. :)

Sean and Chemically altered like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.