A cart that minimizes static?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

From an old Stanton catalog:

It is independenlly hinged so it will not interfere with the tracking force of the stylus while its tapered nylon bristles clean the grooves If cleans records efficiently ... damps tone-arm resonance ... improves low frequency tracking
    .. . dynamically stabilizes the tone arm system ,.. aids in the
    playback of warped records.

Pickering called their brush "dustamatic" but I would think it had the same function as the Stanton. Certainly the aftermarket Jico one I was using for awhile seem to pivot in sync with any warp on a record. The main reason I stopped using it was because I could hear it on the record and it forced me to jack up my antiskate settings.

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Those brushes did nothing to reduce static and I removed mine like you did.

FWIW Stanton and Pickering were made in the same facility - my friend's mom assembled them and took us for a tour - and we got huge discounts :)

nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yes, like the other brush arms you can install they ground the record if attached to a metal ground.

4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

We have a few wall heaters in the house. Water /hair conditioner solution and some heat fight off static effectively.

5. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I used to have massive static problems with my old SL-1300 and Nagaoka Mp-150 in the winter. I upgraded
    to the Mofi Ultradeck earlier this year and it made a big difference. Maybe it's somehow grounded better
    and the lack of a mat is nice. I also got a record doctor and started wet cleaning. That worked far better
    than a Milty Zerostat to remove a static charge. Many of my records were cleaned with the wood glue method,
    but that causes lots of static when peeling off and so called anti-static sleeves or brushes were no help.

6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I thought I noticed a glow in your avatar...

Mike from NYC likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

The Stanton brushes certainly aren't grounded as they just snap in to the stylus guard. I wonder, though... the distance from the "snap-in point" to the cartridge body is not far at all... Hmmm...

I have a strong dislike for the aftermarket brushes. As mentioned, the bristles are hard and often times the whole assembly is bent too far back. I've tossed everyone of them in the gah-bahj.

8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Any separation between the grounding points would render it useless but i guess you could use a piece of flexible phono wire to connect the brush to the mounting screw. Having said that, the carts are already grounded and still don't dissipate static but instead create it :cry:

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I wouldn't like my cartridge choice to be dictated by static, when static can often be addressed head on.

In my vinyl the past I used the Milty Zerostat to good effect.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...t=&hvlocphy=9046526&hvtargid=kwd-308480449384

However what seemed to be much more effective was a clean using de- ionised water and a high quality microfiber cloth. I wasn't expecting that benefit but it was there.

I'd recommend a microfiber cloth intended for cleaning camera lenses.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Larg...12-spons&keywords=microfiber+cloth+lens&psc=1

De-ionised water is very cheap and worth a shot in my experience, I've no idea why it's effect lasted so long but no more dragging vinyl out of those lyric inner sleeves.

10. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Back in the day, there was a fashion to use something called Permostat on your records. This was a spray with a buffing pad the prevented static and allegedly reduced friction and wear to stylus and record.

In fact it just gummed up the stylus, and any dust that fell there stuck in the goo. As I've off-shelved my old record collection, I've had to put each one through the record cleaner to get to get the darned stuff off.

Astonishly - thirty-odd years later, this dreadful product is still available Milty Permostat

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

OMG I remember and used that and as you say getting it off was harder than putting the crazy stuff on.

12. Raffaele123

Raffaele123 Active Member

I use a Milty anti static gun on my whole record player and on the record as well but I notice that some records just sound static. When I play Glen Miller a memorial there seems to be more static sounds, I wonder if it is recorded that way or if its the quality of the vinyl? when my other records have no static sounds at all.

13. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I’m not familiar with Permostat, but Gruv Glide takes more or less the same idea and makes it work. No goo left behind to gum up the stylus and no static left behind either. One treatment is good for multiple plays.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Don't know if they all do, many turntables the main bearing is grounded and looped into the arm/ cartridge ground wire and some cartridges have a grounding tab at one of the ground wires I suppose for plastic headshells.
    Carbon black dissipates static in Vinyl it's needed.

15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I know that they used to make Cabon fiber brushes with a ground wire that you would attach to the chassis of your TT. Running one of those across your record would dissipate static charges quite effectively.

Also, Diskwasher invented an antistatic gun which sprayed ions onto your record and would neutralize any static charges. I believe that somebody is still manufacturing these today.

16. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

antistatic guns are the only sure static remover IME,Ive tried other ways but it works the best and always works.
    Ive used zerostat for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.