A change of Preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wrat, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrat

wrat Forum Resident Thread Starter

thinkin about makin a change from my cj pv15, gonna be tubes , probably used , rogue? schitt? prima?
    suggest somethin, does not need phono, remote is good but could go without

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll suggest a Decware preamp. . . ZTPRE. . . CSP3 . . . both with the 25th Anniversary mods if you can swing it. An older CSP2+ if you see one. These don't at all come up often used, and you wait 2 months or so for a build, but worth it in m opinion.

DECWARE USA MADE TUBE AMPLIFIERS w/ LIFETIME WARRANTY

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Wow got me thinking now.
    Seems like an ultimate solution

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Why? That seems like a nice piece, what are you dissatisfied about? And personally, I would get a remote if I changed, it's just nice.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

mreeter likes this.
  7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Also a ModWright LS-100 owner. Very happy with the Pre coming from a Rogue Audio Perseus "Magnum".

The LS-100 comes up for sale on the used market occasionally. Tube Rectified Power Supply and a pair of 6SN7's in the Output. Exceptional Dynamics, yet so smooth.

8. wrat

nothing wrong just maybe time for something different, the m8080 tubes it uses are not the easiest to source not really a big deal but

9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

You might take a look at the AVA Fet Valve CFR preamp. It's all-tube, and AVA is known for very high value and great sound. I think they have a 30-day return, so you can try at home. It won an Editor's Choice from TAS.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, sometimes in life it IS time for something completely different

...and now back to audio gear, I must say I liked the PrimaLuna gear we listened to extensively at Upscale Audio.

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

What is it about your CJ that you dislike? And what kind of sound are you going after? Without knowing that, were all shooting in the dark.

12. wrat

Nothing to really dislike its a decent pre ... just looking for a change , staying with tubes, maybe something with tube rectifiers and more common tubes

SandAndGlass and TarnishedEars like this.
  13. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

I can’t comment on any of the other brands but I’m really happy with my PrimaLuna ProLogue 3 paired with a PL5. Real improvement for Hersey’s.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

These are some beautiful amps. Little works of art and not that expensive either.

Lonson and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

They're amazing. I use a ZTPRE in one system, and a CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods in another, and use a CSP2+ (earlier model, just before CSP3) with Anniversary mods added as a standalone headphone amplifier for a bedroom system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.