"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

If you add enough you would soften things but that would be a lot of verb.

A lot of the softening is due to the remix [cough]and the NR[/cough]. It was all mixed in a computer using digital compressors, reverbs, summing [cough]and NR[/cough]. It's far, far, FAR removed from the tube tape machine, tube console, tube compressors and reverb used for the original mixes.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You know I offered to mix it for them on all-tube playback gear but they said they had it covered. Covered is right I guess.:(

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What a wasted opportunity. Have you read all the negative reviews this disc has been getting? Lots of regular people are unhappy with it. Maybe in a few years you should make your offer again.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have not heard it, no. I do trust your ears and others here who say it's not as good as it could have been. I am sure the Concord people tried really hard to make a good release but what sounds acceptable to one person may sound sucky to another. Shrug.

Indy Mike didn't like it at all and is sending me his copy to listen to. He usually sends me his rejects, heh..

5. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

I received my replacement disc today. All seems as it should be with the corrected tracks. Pretty fast turn around on Concord's part.

6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Mine arrived today as well. Penned above the return address was "Good Grief", which gave me a smile. :)

Derek

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

I got a laugh out of that as well!

8. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

My CD is from 1986...and as such has 11 tracks...no "Greensleeves". I can't find the post in here - was the album "remastered" in 1988 when they added the extra track...or did they just tack "Greensleeves" on to the 1986 version?

Dexter

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

From what I've read here they used the same mastering and added Greensleeves although I've never heard the '86 CD.

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Jamie is correct. The disc was not remastered in '88 but it is slightly louder than the '86 edition.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's interesting. Did they just normalize it?

12. Mike Dow

I'm not sure. A while back, some of us did a shoot-out comparing the '86 and '88 versions along with the Monster Cable DVD and the new Concord version. I believe the general consensus was that they normalized the '88 version to bring all of the tracks "up" in volume including the addition of "Greensleeves". There was no discernable difference in sound quality between the two.

13. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Now you guys have me wanting to get the new CD, before it was fixed by Concord. :sigh: Yeah, I know it sounds bad, but I want to have the alternate versions that "mistakenly" showed up.

14. Mike Dow

I'm sure there are still plenty of those discs around, Rudy. If you'd like me to grab one for you here, I'd be happy to do it.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'm happy to report that I was able to find a sealed '88 copy on amazon for about 15 bucks and it sounded great. My mom was very pleased with the Christmas present!

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Go get it now, then take the receipt and mail it to Concord via the "Good Grief" address, then you'll have both versions!

I almost never hang onto receipts, but somehow I still had the one from when I purchased this set. I mailed it in instead of the disc, and I too got the replacement disc within a WEEK.

17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Concord did a fast turn around gettign a replacement disc sent out - good job on their part!

18. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I sent out my receipt late on Monday January 8th and received my replacement CD Friday January 19th. They mailed the new disc back in a plain jewel case.

Since I am going to keep both discs, it would be nice to have a second copy of the packaging (not that I was expecting it). Maybe someone on the forum will come along and create alternate artwork for the disc with the "unintentional mistakes." :)

19. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

I sent out my receipt month ago and got the replacement CD a few days later. Today I received the CD again. From Telarc in Ohio. It is a digipack (3D)-window cover? Did anyone else get another free CD?

20. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

FYI, I only discovered this thread a few days back. I'd picked up the remaster in early December and immediately noticed the different takes on the two tracks. I grumbled a bit (assuming it was deliberate) but kept it for the bonus tracks and just went back to my older version.

But despite the deadline having past, and my receipt long since gone, I emailed them in early May and had a replacement disc in my hands the next day! Embarrassing goof, but top drawer customer service. :thumbsup:

So if you're in the same boat, drop them an email and ignore the deadline.

21. alanb

alanb Senior Member

weirdly enough....i posted my reciept in january or something and got a brand new CD yesterday sealed in the digipack!!!
    Completely forgot about it.

22. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

I think I was wrong. Maybe my first replacement CD was from Universal Music Germany (although they did not want me to keep the original, faulty CD). So the second CD from Telarc USA really arrived 5-6 month after my letter, funny.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

So I'm considering picking this up just for the alternate takes. Obviously, I'd like to find the recalled version not the corrected version. Is there any easy way to detect the difference without listening? Are the timings different on the recalled version's Linus and Lucy and Christmas is Coming as compared to the corrected version? Can someone who has both let me know...

24. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i dont think they "recalled" it, i think they offered replacements, I didnt send mine back, with the hoffman vinyl needledropped and that disc with all the alternate takes, i was happier having another version of linus and lucy....anyway late here now, i'll check my cd tomorrow and chime back in with a timing if no one else does in the meantime.

25. lock67ca

lock67ca Forum Resident

Since stores are starting to roll out their Christmas discs, I was wondering if the ones being shipped now are the corrected version? Or is that only available through Concord itself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.