"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dufman

dufman Forum Resident

After comparing my monster superdisc I have determined it too uses the wrong takes, can anyone confirm? I wonder if they corrected the problem as well.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Of course, it *really* would've been nice if they'd added the wrong takes to the corrected version as additional bonus tracks. Or is the CD already "maxed out", prohibiting them from doing that?

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

No, the CD isn't maxed out; it's under an hour long (my Windows Media Player says 55:35).

If you want to be assured that you'll get the correct version, you can pick up a newly compiled 3-CD set in a tin box called A Charlie Brown Christmas (Fantasy/Madacy TC2 53161). Inside this box is the "correct" version of the original soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi, complete with the restored original cover and the four bonus tracks, and in a jewel case rather than a digipak, with liner notes included. (I own this, and I A/B'd "Linus and Lucy" with the 2006 version.)

The second disc in the tin is the 40 Years: A Charlie Brown Christmas tribute album from 2005, also in a jewel case. The third disc is the Vince Guaraldi compilation Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits from 1998, which has other music from Charlie Brown specials on it.

The whole package cost $13.88 at Wal-Mart.

4. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

Tim, I take it the Holiday Hit's is not remastered?

Man I wonder how many times they will issue this!?!?!

5. tim_neely

It's the same as the 1998 mastering.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

7. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Does the remaster clean up "Christmas time is Here (vocal)," particularly the right channel which has all kinds of distortion and hissing. If you listen to the right channel at 0.10, 0.52, 1.00-1.02, and about 1.18 on for quite a while, you will hear very strange distortions. Is this cleaned up in the remastered version? I love the album, but always wondered why so much noise was present on this song.

8. jborsma

jborsma New Member

This is the version I have and have never had any complaints about it.:righton:

9. jborsma

jborsma New Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the p in a circle represents the performance rights.

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The p in a circle represents the copyright of a sound recording (as opposed to the copyright of the underlying work). The "p" stands for "phonographic".

11. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

I picked up this version last year at Christmastime at a department store, so they are probably still out there.. I think I paid about $5.00 for it.
    :cool:

12. jborsma

jborsma New Member

A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Actually, the "p" stands for "phonorecording". And "the copyright of a sound recording" is referred to as "performance rights". I found this out when I joined BMI. ;)

13. jborsma

jborsma New Member

Actually, the "p" stands for "phonorecording". And "the copyright of a sound recording" is reffered to as "performance rights". I learned that when I joined BMI. ;)

14. jborsma

jborsma New Member

15. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I always thought the "P" stood for "published", as in "recording first published".

16. jborsma

jborsma New Member

Well, it DOES usually refer to the year that particular compilation of songs was released. That's why The Beatles' "1" album, for instance, says "p" (in a circle) 2000.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Slightly OT, but still about this album on CD:

I have an older Fantasy version of the CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS disc and recently ripped it to the computer. What I find odd is that the artist for every track somehow decoded as "Colin Bailey", who was the drummer on the album.

Harry

18. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Okay, so (unless I missed it by skimming too fast) nobody has yet said how to tell the remastered "erroneous" CD from the corrected replacement. I have the Fantasy remaster, but nothing to compare to, so I'd appreciate something definitive so I know which one I have!

Something non-aural, like a track time, or a matrix number? Anybody?

(BTW, my CD is: DIDX-134777 2)

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There are rumours that the piano was actually played by Joyce Hatto, not Vince Guaraldi.

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

:yikes: That is very odd. I would like to find out how that happened.

21. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

That would have happened by someone entering incorrect info into the CDDB.
    It's just user-generated info. If you fix the tags you can resubmit it, sometimes it takes.

22. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

You're kidding I assume.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah - I understand all of that, I was more curious as to *why* someone would list the artist as Colin Bailey. Perhaps a Colin Bailey relative?

Harry

24. tim_neely

"Linus and Lucy" is 3:08 on the 2006 "wrong" remaster. It's 3:05 on the original version. (The listed times may vary by two seconds or so, but the "wrong" version is definitely several seconds longer than the original.)

The two versions of "Christmas Is Coming" are the same length, so that won't help.

I don't have the corrected version except in the Madacy tin listed earlier in the thread, but the trail-off on my "wrong" version is different than yours (broken into its three component parts for easier reading):

65389AM-02
    FCD-30066-2
    082506-10

25. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Is the corrected version only available in the Madacy tin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.